+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snoozer

Post New App I just wrote: Snoozer

Any developers on here?

I have written an application called Snoozer that presses the Snooze button for you after a determined amount of time. This causes the alarm to ring again automatically 5 minutes later, like a Palm.

That part works great. What I don't want is my application hanging around all the time. I don't know if I should try to put the settings in the Control Panel or what. Or maybe it's fine the way it is. I don't know what "service/daemon" apps look like on CE.

I guess I am just looking for ideas on how to make it professional before releasing it.

BTW, even though it's tiny and it only does one simple thing, I wrote it in C# in the Compact Framework since I like C# better. Sorry.

OK, so it does 2 things. It also sets the On Battery Brightness to the % level you specify every time it wakes up to check (you can turn that off if you like).

Anyway, I am looking for help with how to put it in a CAB file, which when installed puts it in permanent storage, puts a shortcut under Startup, etc.

BTW, I have only tested this on my PPC-6601 and the Pocket PC 2002 emulator.

Is anyone interested in an app like this?
    Last edited by PRMan; 03-02-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Oh yeah, also, how much battery does this chew by doing a couple Registry writes and a FindWindow every 5 seconds (user configurable of course)?

If you don't get a good response here, you may want to try th xda developers forums at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/front_page.php

Thanks, whiplash, that solved everything for me.

If anyone is interested, I have it posted now on my wife's site:

http://www.marlareid.com/snoozer.cab

Question Could you post some more info

Short instructions about features and how to use.

Thanks...Brad
    Sprint PPC-6700

The screen looks like this and is pretty self-explanatory. You basically tell it how often to check for a Reminder and how long to allow you to handle it yourself once it sees one. That's it. With the default settings above, the Reminder dialog will stay up between 5-10 seconds.

Also, you can tell it to set your battery brightness to whatever percentage you want (in 10% jumps). It will check this when it checks every x seconds (top line). This corresponds to the battery brightness in the Brightness Control Panel applet. I added this because my brightness seems to go up to 100% all the time by itself. I know the camera jacks it up and doesn't bother to reset it, but some other apps must be doing it as well, because it happens a lot.

The cab file will install to Storage and put a shortcut under StartUp. That way, it will be on the device permanently and survive Soft Resets (I've tested this, it works).

Oh, yeah, the Hide button doesn't work yet. I don't really know what to do with it. Just leave it running and use the Start menu to start something else.

Also, it requires the .NET Compact Framework, which I believe is already on our phones.

Hope this helps somebody. I sure like it.

Cool - will give it a try when I get brave

I try to minimize what I load, but this sounds helpful.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Damn this looks good!

Do you have the capability to code something that makes the 1xRTT indicator go away so I don't have a permanent bubble (because the headset indicator seems permanent too)?

Ehud

Just installed...

Nice..

Bob

FYI

There is a setting in the camera options that will cause it to reset the brightness back to original levels after you exit the camera

I havent noticed any other apps that mess w/ brightness yet.

-n

Really, what's the setting? I'd like to set it.

Ehud: No, believe it or not, I just send a VK_RETURN keyboard event. Because the dialog is modal and always on top, it seems to work fine since I send it only when I find that window.

Potential problems would be more than one alarm, which seems to work for now, although sometimes the button is highlighted (meaning it takes Enter) and sometimes not (don't know if it will take Enter then). I haven't had this happen yet, so I don't know. But at worst, it's no different than if you didn't see the alarm now.

The other problem I can forsee would be if a phone call pops up between the alarm appearing and pressing the button. If that happens, I am not sure what happens, although in testing it, the Enter key doesn't appear to do anything to the Incoming Call window (nice to have a keyboard on your phone...).

There could be a problem with other apps that could pop up on top of the Reminder window, but for the most part, Reminder seems to stay on top of almost everything.

Anyway, if you notice any bugs/conflicts, let me know and I will try to correct them.

Actually, Ehud, what I meant to say is, Yes, it's possible, but I find it EXTREMELY HARD to send messages between windows on this thing, because it's almost impossible to find subwindows (such as buttons and the like). Almost all of the FindWindowEx/EnumChildWindows type calls are missing in CE. If anyone knows a surefire way to find subwindows....

Yeah, I know, xda-developers.com....

Tools > Options > General > Uncheck 'keep backlight on while in viewfinder'

FYI, that setting does not work on my PPC6600. I have tried toggling it on and off several times and brightness always sets to max when I go into the camera app and stays there after I exit. I then set it back to min and it will stay at min until next time I go into the camera app.

Rinse and repeat...

Dan