+ Reply to Thread

Control your PC with PPC Z2 Remote2pc

Has anyone tried this and got it working?

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,38040

I tried it with no success...

I now use gotomypc and it works ok... This would cost less and it may work better??

Thanks
    Bob

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    The posted URL is invalid.

E

Sorry...

Hows this one? This should work...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/inde...n=expand,38040

If anyone can help me setup TighVNC that would be great.

I'm tring to save so money and try something else besides www.gotomcpc.com

Thanks
    Bob

what OS are you using on your PC? You have a static or dynamic IP?
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

on my pc at home I'm using XP w/Service pack 2 + and I have a dynamic IP address.

I have a DSL connection and I use a wireless router for my home LAN.

Have you tried setting up the like I first posted? After I set it up at home and it works good I'd like to set it up at work instead of gotomypc. I dont think I want to use Tightvnc because it does not have any encryption.

Thanks
    Bob

LogMeIn.com has a free version that will allow PocketPC connection. I tried it awhile ago and it seemed to work well.

Thanks,

Thats funny I just stumbled upon that before I came back here to read your post...

Yes, That looks good. I'll try setting that up tomorrow...

Could you help me if I need it tomorrow?

Thanks
    Bob

Different ways to work it

Originally posted by willp2
    LogMeIn.com has a free version that will allow PocketPC connection. I tried it awhile ago and it seemed to work well.
    Looks like GoToMyPC, I'll have to take a look at it more...

I use Terminal Services to connect to my clients servers, but I have not tried it to access an XP machine. RealVNC and TightVNC both use distinct ports, where as GoToMyPC and probably LogMeIn use Port80, which carries HTTP traffic. You may have issues at work with firewalls if you go with TightVNC or Real, or even Terminal Services. I know there have been discussions about RealVNC, but I beleive you have to use an older version, which also might not allow encryption.

Sorry, I know I am providing info, but no solutions....I'll see if I can get things working here.
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

Does it resize your Desktop though?
    Cingular 8525

I tried LogMeIn once, Adaware said it was a keylogger, so I uninstalled it.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

I can tell you it NOT a keylogger...

But I just installed and tried it today and I'm very pleased with it.

Its as good as gotomypc and best of all its free.

With the free verison you dont get file transfer. No biggy for what I need to use it for.

I'm still testing and will report back with results. If anyone needs info on using this feel free to im me.

Did I memtion that its secure?

I still find it hard to work connecting at CDMA speed and the small screen. But will come in handy when I'm not at my desktop and I'm out but need to make sure things are running smooth at work.

Bob

Forgot to ask if anyone got Z2 Remote2pc to work (my orginal post) and do they like it? I may try that again soon, but if someone knows how to set it up that would be easier...

Thanks
    Bob

Yep I got Z2 to work perfectly in seconds, IT IS GREAT I had bought for $200 pcanywhere 11.5 and after weeks of tech support never got it to work, I have STATIC IP on my desktop though so maybe that is why it connected easy but very cool and works and didnt cost that much,

Hey Jancelet...

Thats good to hear...

mine should not be that hard to set up??

I just have a couple of hurdles I need to resolve.

1. I have a firewall to punch through if need be.
    2. I have zonealarm on my XP PC, Not a problem.
    3. I have a dynamic IP address.

I have Created a free ddns account at dyndns.org so far in my quest to get this to work and try...

But have not gone any further...

Sent e-mail to Z2 for support and they replyed quickly with this:

Our web site www.z2software.com is still under construction.
    Remote2PC is a stand alone product and not depend on any third-party centralized server to work. Most of all, you don't need to pay monthly fee!
    You can try to setup server callback for your work pc in case you don't want to change anything on company's firewall.
    1. Create a free ddns account at dyndns.org or other ddns web site if you don't have static ip address at home.
    2. Assume you got a ddns account like myppc.dyndns.org, go to "Callback" page of Remote2PC Helper on your work PC, add "myppc.dyndns.org" as client host name.
    3. At home, Enable internet router port forwarding for port 82 to your pocket pc.
    4. On your PPC, go to "Connect" dialog, enter user name and pass, check "Wait for server callback" and click "Connect".
    5. On "Wait Server callback" dialog, click "Update Dynamic DNS" and enter the DDNS account to update the ip address for "myppc.dynds.org".
    6. Close the "Update Dynamic DNS" dialog and wait a while for the server callback.
    7. Select the server on the list and click connect.
    Best regards,
    z2

So.... If any has this working through a simualr setup as mine PLEASE let me know...

One Question for you... well maybe two..

How easy or how well does it look on our small screen.. and what speed of internet access to you have?

Thanks
    Bob

noodleNT, to answer your question about does it resize your desktop?

Yes, you can resize your desktop with all that I tried.

(gotomypc, and logmein) You can choose to fit to screen (not a good idea unless you can read VERY tiny print)

or view at 75%, 50%, etc..

or Desktop view which is what your desktop size is actually. In desktop view you just scroll your screen to get around.

I prefer around 50% alittle scrolling but you can see what your doing.

Thanks
    Bob

well on Z2 you can easily make screen increase or decrease, i have slow dsl at home 200-300kbps, it takes a second to refresh but not a problem, i havent read the manual but it seems easy to use, i used my pocketpc to open my home email and send myself an attachment and then checked my pocketpc email it was there, you can transfer files also but so far havent been able to figure out how to transfer a specific file it wanted to transfer all my files under my documents, (i guess i will have to read the manual)

Don't you hate that! LOL (reading the manual)

Good luck

Bob

S and K
    This looks like exactly what Im looking for.

Are you able to restart the PC as well remotely?

S

I'm not posittive but I think you can.

I know you can always click start and shutdown but if you have a network client and need to log in in order to access the internet that may not work if you need to access that pc remotely after the restart.

I never had the need to restart the computer so I never tried.

As long as you could log back in at start up automaticly I dont see why it would not work.

Bob

YEs, you can restart (NOTE NOT START IT IT IS OFF) your desktop remotely and Z2 automatically reloads when the computer restarts so you can make reconnect