+ Reply to Thread

##33284# Field Trial Monitor- Definitions

I am interested if some experienced users could define what each field means and how that would relate to performance....

(( I know that Rx Power means received power level. The Lower the (-) number the stronger the signal strength))
    At the time of this post my Rx PWR is -90 dBm and I have 4 bars of signal strength displayed at the top of the screen... I forgot the formula for dBm so I looked it up;
    Power Level (W) = 0.001 x 10 ^ (dBm/10)

so punching a few numbers
    mW : dBm
    1 : 0
    0.1 : -10
    0.01 : - 20
    0.001 : - 30
    100uW : - 40
    10uW : - 50
    1 uW : - 60
    0.1 uW : - 70
    0.01 uW : - 80
    0.001 uW : - 90
    100 nW : -100

wow! that is tiny.
    what is the receiver sensitivity of a ppc-6600? I didnt really see anything in the manual.

I dont understand what the other variables mean in the field trial monitor though ( and I dont like that )

I did some searches on google, sprintusers, here but didnt find any real definitive relationships.

Thank you for your time
    qu1nn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ##33284# Field Trial Monitor- Definitions-field-trial-monitor.jpg  
    HTC Mogul, ROM 3.35.651.2, RADIO 3.35.04 Protocol DCAAXAM-4350H, PRL 60610, HW 0003
    (former PPC6600 user; 2005-12/2007)

Good question, I was wondering the same things...having access to some of the info is good...but what does it mean??

Also, how did you get a screen shot from your phone, I have seen others do this and have wondered how
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

(( I cheated ))
    I didnt use the ppc to post, but I saw the image from the some forums sticky on the ppc-660x (I dont remember which one).

I just did a quickie search and I came up with http://www.sbsh.net/forums/index.php...=0&#entry16570

qu1nn
    HTC Mogul, ROM 3.35.651.2, RADIO 3.35.04 Protocol DCAAXAM-4350H, PRL 60610, HW 0003

bump

The phone's signal bar does not represent the Rx Signal but the Ec/Io which is CDMA's "real" signal "quality" indicator. I hope this helps. Ec/Io > -10 is good; -11 to -14 is marginal; <-14 is bad.

I know that Service Option #33 means you are using 3G data (Vision) and #3 means you are using voice.

Does Active Set and Neighbor set refer to the towers????
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Yes, but only engineers will be able to understand how to use it.

There is a web site with sprint towers on it, but it is a tad hard to use:

http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/co...ity=San%20Jose

For San Jose.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I am having a major problem with my phone. The PPC-6600, More info can be found Phone is not working

Question is.. What is the problem with the RF radio in my phone. Why cant i call or recieve calls even with full signal.
    I included an actual screen shot of my Field Trial Monitor from my phone. If the Rx power should be below -14 according to
    Originally posted by christian01The phone's signal bar does not represent the Rx Signal but the Ec/Io which is CDMA's "real" signal "quality" indicator. I hope this helps. Ec/Io > -10 is good; -11 to -14 is marginal; <-14 is bad.
    I looked on Sprints Site http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/coverage/towermaps2.jsp?cityid=80&city=Oklahoma%20City and im aprox 1/2 mile from tower or less
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ##33284# Field Trial Monitor- Definitions-field_trial_monitor.jpg  
    Last edited by police22; 09-04-2005 at 04:36 PM.

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    i just walked aroung and varied my signal strength and with 2-3 bars Rx Ec/Io ran 26-15
    inside a microwave with the door shut (not on) it went to 63 and froze at 63 and displayed the no service icon on the signal indicator. so 63 appears to be the bottom end.
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

Originally posted by Disgruntledtech
    i just walked aroung and varied my signal strength and with 2-3 bars Rx Ec/Io ran 26-15
    inside a microwave with the door shut (not on) it went to 63 and froze at 63 and displayed the no service icon on the signal indicator. so 63 appears to be the bottom end.
    So DT.. you think the rep at sprint was right .. the Radio (RF) died?. If so.. what could of caused that... not being used at the moment.. was on the internet 30 min previously.. was in my case on my hip.. just dont make sense... Thanks

Another thing i just thought of when me and my wife was talking about it.. you said DT that you put it in the microwave of course with out it on.. but it went to 63 as what mine is at... and your signal dropped and showed no signal... right?.. ok.. well mine at 63 still shows signal depending where i stand from 2- full bars.. if the RF was bad.. so the rep said could be.. would it still show signal?

Also did you read my other post about the problem to get an idea of what it does.. or you want me to copy here?
    Last edited by police22; 09-04-2005 at 05:32 PM.

yeah if its locked at 63 and you cant get it to go lower, your not making any calls regardless of you account status. have a sprint rep check service alerts for your area if you are in an area that could have been impacted by the hurricane. if youre in OK like your profile says, the network should be fine though.

also if you are running a radio rom other than HA00_140 do a bootloader reset and apply the official audiovox update.

if it still doesnt work, and you've applied any unofficial rom updates do a bootloader reset and apply the official audiovox update before returning the device.

yeah if its locked at 63 and you cant get it to go lower, your not making any calls regardless of you account status. have a sprint rep check service alerts for your area if you are in an area that could have been impacted by the hurricane. if youre in OK like your profile says, the network should be fine though.

also if you are running a radio rom other than HA00_140 do a bootloader reset and apply the official audiovox update.

if it still doesnt work, and you've applied any unofficial rom updates do a bootloader reset and apply the official audiovox update before returning the device.
    DT,
    I havent done any Rom updates as i have not read enough on that topic.. ie where to get, how to install.. that sort of things.. just been enjoying it. you know what i mean, Just have the basics on it.. the Storage tools, SPB Pocket Plus, Games, Vehicle software, and other stuff... maybe if i udated it with an "Official" Rom.. would help?

i dont think it'll help with your issue but you can find the updates and instructions on this page
    http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...&beginIndex=21

all i was saying is if you have a hacked radio rom, it could be causing the problem. and if you are using any modified ROM, you should put the ooficial one back on it before you return it to your carrier for a replacement.

i dont think it'll help with your issue but you can find the updates and instructions on this page
    http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...&beginIndex=21

all i was saying is if you have a hacked radio rom, it could be causing the problem. and if you are using any modified ROM, you should put the ooficial one back on it before you return it to your carrier for a replacement.
    Ah!!!.. Ok.. ya i follow ya...
    Oh.. i did do that .. an official update from audiovox.. think it updated only the radio i think.. but the other 2 ext rom and the rom or something.. just woke up.. to go to work.. didnt get much sleep.. very tired... its 0330 central time... blah.. went to sleep at 1045

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Wow, that's a lot of sleep. You should be well-rested

If your only update was from Audiovox then you're fine. I suspect Disgruntledtech was referring to the "unofficial updates" that are available on here.

Ehud

Originally posted by Ehud
    Wow, that's a lot of sleep. You should be well-rested

If your only update was from Audiovox then you're fine. I suspect Disgruntledtech was referring to the "unofficial updates" that are available on here.

Ehud
    Ya E.. I knew what he was referring too.. btw that update did not work... so just waiting impatiantly for my replacement which i hope will be here tomorrow.. ..
    Just got home from work about 15mins ago.. and a tired son of a gun..
    Thanks for all the info.. i think..
    All have a good and safe holiday
    Dont drink and drive and have fun.