+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sick and tired of XV600. Need advice (or 10 things I hate about XV6600)

Below is a LONG description of a "wonderful" experience I am having with my XV6600. I am just wondering if my device is defective, or is everyone else experiencing the same slew of issues:

1. After I started using XV6600, many people whom I communicate with started telling me that its impossible to reach me, because all calls instantly go to voice mail. After running some tests, I realized that the genius who wrote the software for the phone designed it in such a way that data connection is not dropped when an incoming call is received. After all, who cares about the stupid phone calls, right? So, if someone is trying to call you when your data connection is active and data is being transferred, tell them not to even bother. What a great feature!

2. Sometimes the data connection dies (typically when driving and re-associating with another cell tower) - this must be a great feature of Verizon network (yes, I am aware that Verizon has the best network . After it comes back, the phone sometimes refuses to make outbound calls (message "call cannot be completed" is displayed). Incoming calls go to voice mail. The best part about this feature is that the phone looks completely normal (full signal level, blinking service LED, etc). Then you hear things like "I've been trying to reach you for the past 3 hours, your phone was off". This works especially well when using the device for business communications. The only way to fix it is to do a soft reset or to turn flight mode on/off. I called Verizon support once, complainign about this feature and the rep actually told me that my phone was not registered with the network.

3. The phone sometimes wakes up by itself (no, Bluetooth is not enabled and I do not have any apps that are trying to wake up the device). This does wonders to battery life.

4. Speaking of battery life - my current battery life is about 6 hours, which includes approx. 10-15 minutes of talk time and about 15 emails received using Intellisync Email Accelerator (a corporate version of Verizon's WirelessSync). I recently tested a Blackberry 7100t, and it lasted _3_DAYS_ on a single charge, while getting the same amount of emails that XV6600 did and handling even more cell phone calls. I realize that the screen on a Blackberry is twice smaller than a Pocket PC screen, but is the screen really used for call phone calls and background data downloads? After all, who needs a long battery life, when you can just have the device plugged in and charging all the time? One charger at work, one in a car and one at home - and battery life problem is solved!

5. Speaking of the screen. The wonderful person who I mentioned it paragraph #1 also made sure the screen stays on while you are on the phone. A really useful feature (cannot be configured/disabled either). Yes, you can hit the Power button, the phone will go into a sleep mode and the screen will turn off. But you need to remember to do that EVERY TIME you make/receive a phone call. Very convenient when you are trying to answer a phone call with one hand. Good luck. And while you are busy pressing the phone against your ear in a desperate attempt to hear what the person on the other end is saying, your face is busy pressing various areas of the touch screen. One call can sometimes result in opening 4-5 applications. As an added bonus, very cool hissing noice is coming from the screen when it is turned on and set to full brighness.

6. Speaking of trying to hear the person on the other end of the line. I do not think that mattered to the people who designed and built this phone either. So they made sure you CANNOT raise the volume of the sound to the level when you can actually hear something when you are walking on the street with moderate amount of people and traffic around you. After all, who needs to hear what the other person is saying? Oh...wait...they are saying "I cant hear you.....I cant hear you...speak louder!". This is when you realize that the microphone volume control has been "worked on" as well and start screaming into the phone, scaring the living crap of people around you. Works very well in public areas. Why dont I use the speakerphone? Why should I? Why can't I use the normal speaker and the microphone like millions of other people who own normal phones do?

7. I work in an EVDO coverage area and live in a CDMA 1X coverage area. When I come home from work, the phone sometimes thinks EVDO is available (I know for a fact that its not) and starts intermittently switching between displaying 1X and EV symbols on the screen. During this time calls go to voice mail and data connection is dead as well. Wonderful. So someone calls you, your phone goes right to voice mail, the caller leaves a message, and you get a voice mail indicator, right? WRONG! The voice mail indicator is replaced by the EV/1X indicator. So you realize you have a voice mail 3-4 hours after it was left....so what? It's not like people leave you important messages, right?

8. I remember getting excited reading about crazy EVDO speeds and fast broadband-like Internet connectivity. Raaaaaight. People who use EVDO PCMCIA cards in laptops MAY get somewhat close to those speeds. But not you. Not if you are using XV6600. The very best speed I was able to get on a XV6600 is around 400Kbit/s in Midtown Manhattan, with full signal. Thats peak. Day to day average speed is around 250Kbit/s. Message to all the people who expect to buy XV6600 and browse the Internet, loading web pages in fractions of a second: time for a reality check.

9. While reading about wonderful Bluetooth support on a XV6600, I was dreaming of sitting somewhere with my laptop, with XV6600 in my pocket, and browsing the Internet via Bluetooth. Now, for the reality. When I spent only 2 minutes pairing my Thinkpad (with built-in Bluetooth) with XV6600, I thought:"Wow, this was too easy". Boy, was I right. That was just the beginning. Apparently, you must shut down phone's own EVDO/CDMA connection completely before you can even use it as a modem. And since the genius mentioned in paragraph #1 did not think of implementing a simple "Disconnect" feature in the phone, the only way to disconnect is to do a soft reset or the good old flight mode on/off trick. After you do that, you MUST catch the moment when a phone is trying to establish data connection again and hit "Cancel". All good. Lets browse the Internet and broadband speeds! After a whopping 20 seconds of browsing, the phone broke the Bluetooth connection. Subsequent events to re-establish it resulted in "There is no dialtone" message from the laptop. This particular problem is easily fixed by doing a soft reset. I mean - 1 soft reset per 20 seconds of being connected - how bad can this be? At least you get the broadband speed. Another cool feature is that the screen always remains on while Bluetooth connection is active. Makes an excellent flashlight. What? Your battery life with Bluetooth on is 50% less than with Bluetooth off? No problem, just use one of the 3 chargers you own!

10. And the final feature. Verizon decided not to include a ringer with the phone that you can actually hear when the phone is in your jacket pocket, or in another room. Why bother? After all, you always have the phone on you, 24 hours a day, right? So I had to download the "kyocera" ringer that some kind person (THANK YOU SO MUCH!) has created. Yes, people jump when my phone rings, but I look at it as an added benefit. and at least I do not miss phone calls when my phone is not on me. All good, right? NOT. After a couple of days, the phone just stops ringing. Calls come in, incoming phone call dialog is displayed, etc. But there is no sound. And no vibration either (even though the device has been configured to ring AND vibrate).

To sum it all up: This device is unstable (may be an undocumented feature of yet another great Microsoft OS product), has miserable battery life (even worse than a P.O.S. Samsung I-700 that I used before this phone), crappy Bluetooth drivers and the worst quality of the phone portion (which includes speaker, mic, volume, usability, etc).

You should ONLY get this device if:

* You do not care if you miss 30% of your phone calls
    * You do not mind having to have a charger at work, home and in car, so you can constantly keep charging the phone.
    * You are OK with either constantly struggling to hear the other caller/having to yell or using a speakerphone for all your calls and having people around you listen to all your phone conversations
    * You are OK with rebooting the device at least once in 2 days, just to make sure it keeps functioning properly.
    * You are not planning to use Bluetooth for anything other than headset or ActiveSync functionality.

I use mine for data, and forward all my incoming voice calls to my lil' Moto V551; a real phone

Some Thoughts:

1. It is a Windoze device. Rebooting is part of the plan with Windows - All Versions.

2. Battery life. Turn the screen brightness down when on battery. Set the screen back light and keyboard back light to time out in 30 seconds or a minute. Turn the IR receive off. Close apps (SBP Pocket Plus will help here) instead of minimizing them. Yes the "OK" button and the cute little "X" in the upper right corner really don't shut apps down. You need a separate software package to accomplish that task. Or go to your memory app and kill the apps you want shut down. PITA, but it will help.

Kill the data link by holding the red "End Call" button down for 2-4 seconds on the VZW handset (SPCS - this turns the radio off)

BT make sure you have applied the latest VZW ROM update. It does help. And yes, BT will burn the battery faster - its a radio as well.

Its not a perfect device, but I will take it any day over the constantly resetting T650 that P1 fosted on the drooling early adopters like us.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

LOL. Even if they pay me to carry a Treo 650 I'll refuse.

The honeymoon is over with my 6600 but we are learning to live together. I'm learning to appreciate this PPC for what it is.

My biggest concern is the one that kept me from PPCs for years. Although PPC software is more plentiful than in past years, there are so many holes.

-- email

I just lost my mail folders with WebIs and after reading their forum, it appears that this problem has been unresolved for months. I was floored by this. There is so little software competition that the developers have no incentive to improve their offerings.

-- text messaging

OK, I've posted enough on that.

-- text entry

It takes a lot more work to enter data. I'm looking for apps to improve this situation. I won't complain too much yet because there may be a package out there that I haven't found yet.

-- phone capabilities

I know that it is a PDA that has phone capabilities and not the reverse. However, why isn't there software to improve things? Why do I have to go through so much work to call a number in a memo, email, or on my calendar? Why can't someone write code to parse out numbers to be quickly dialed?

There is a nice dictionary package that does this quite nicely with words - Wordbook. You can select a word almost anywhere and instantly you get the definition. Why can't I do that to dial a number or send a text message or open an URL?

It amazes me that PPC users have settled for such substandard software!

Would I trade it for a Palm device? I can't for exactly one reason:

-- timezone handling

Either Palm needs to fix its timezone problem or I have to remain in a single timezone. I've heard nothing on the former and I know the latter isn't happening. PPCs do properly handle timezone changes.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

I don't have nearly the problems you do. yes, when actively downloading data a voice call wont come through.

But, I make it a habit to close the data connection when I am not using the phone. I had software for my treo600 that would do that automatically, and something like that should become available for the PPC phones soon.

I make it a habit to close all apps running in the background, using hansyswitcher that I paid $5 for at pocketgear.com (so I don't have to go to windows/settings/memory to close all apps)

With the IR port turned off, and bluetooth on, I can get pplenty of battery life from the phone - 30 min on the phone, and 5 POP email accounts 4-5x a day, and have 60% power left by the end of the day when I go to bed.

I make sure to use phone lock beta, a program available here on pdaphonehome in one of the threads - so I don't accidentally activate applications from the screen or via buttons when calls come in.

I have a ringer that sounds like an old phone that I have no problem hearing, and I can hear the phone call just fine, but my M3000 bluetooth headset is even louder (sometimes too loud). Better to have a 1oz headset at the ear than a 7oz phone.

I do not lose BT connections with my powerbook and can stay connected to the internet via the 6600 for as long as I want.

Maybe your phone is bad, where it doesn't register with verizon at times and loses connections or wont take calls?
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Re: Sick and tired of XV600. Need advice (or 10 things I hate about XV6600)

Originally posted by eugenek
    Below is a LONG description of a "wonderful" experience I am having with my XV6600. I am just wondering if my device is defective, or is everyone else experiencing the same slew of issues:

1. After I started using XV6600, many people whom I communicate with started telling me that its impossible to reach me, because all calls instantly go to voice mail. After running some tests, I realized that the genius who wrote the software for the phone designed it in such a way that data connection is not dropped when an incoming call is received. After all, who cares about the stupid phone calls, right? So, if someone is trying to call you when your data connection is active and data is being transferred, tell them not to even bother. What a great feature!
    If I'm browsing with EVDO, the data connection drops to 1xRTT and the call comes through. You mention later that you live in a 1xRTT cell site. Yeah, that will happen. It won't drop the data call if you're 1xRTT and a call comes in. Sorry.

2. Sometimes the data connection dies (typically when driving and re-associating with another cell tower) - this must be a great feature of Verizon network (yes, I am aware that Verizon has the best network . After it comes back, the phone sometimes refuses to make outbound calls (message "call cannot be completed" is displayed). Incoming calls go to voice mail. The best part about this feature is that the phone looks completely normal (full signal level, blinking service LED, etc). Then you hear things like "I've been trying to reach you for the past 3 hours, your phone was off". This works especially well when using the device for business communications. The only way to fix it is to do a soft reset or to turn flight mode on/off. I called Verizon support once, complainign about this feature and the rep actually told me that my phone was not registered with the network.
    I've gotten this a few times as well. A soft reset fixes it, but it's still annoying. I will be troubleshooting with VZW Data Support Group next week about this very issue. There better be a fix, stat.

3. The phone sometimes wakes up by itself (no, Bluetooth is not enabled and I do not have any apps that are trying to wake up the device). This does wonders to battery life.
    Are you sure you have your button lock settings correct? I don't have this problem at all.

4. Speaking of battery life - my current battery life is about 6 hours, which includes approx. 10-15 minutes of talk time and about 15 emails received using Intellisync Email Accelerator (a corporate version of Verizon's WirelessSync). I recently tested a Blackberry 7100t, and it lasted _3_DAYS_ on a single charge, while getting the same amount of emails that XV6600 did and handling even more cell phone calls. I realize that the screen on a Blackberry is twice smaller than a Pocket PC screen, but is the screen really used for call phone calls and background data downloads? After all, who needs a long battery life, when you can just have the device plugged in and charging all the time? One charger at work, one in a car and one at home - and battery life problem is solved!
    I can talk 90 minutes over a Bluetooth headset, have WirelessSync running, and spend a cumulative 45 minutes browsing/ssh/vnc'ing throughout the day and still have 35% battery life left. This phone is NOT for heavy phone users. No PDA phone really is...

5. Speaking of the screen. The wonderful person who I mentioned it paragraph #1 also made sure the screen stays on while you are on the phone. A really useful feature (cannot be configured/disabled either). Yes, you can hit the Power button, the phone will go into a sleep mode and the screen will turn off. But you need to remember to do that EVERY TIME you make/receive a phone call. Very convenient when you are trying to answer a phone call with one hand. Good luck. And while you are busy pressing the phone against your ear in a desperate attempt to hear what the person on the other end is saying, your face is busy pressing various areas of the touch screen. One call can sometimes result in opening 4-5 applications. As an added bonus, very cool hissing noice is coming from the screen when it is turned on and set to full brighness.
    Mine shuts off, and always has. My Treo 600, on the other hand, is a different story.

6. Speaking of trying to hear the person on the other end of the line. I do not think that mattered to the people who designed and built this phone either. So they made sure you CANNOT raise the volume of the sound to the level when you can actually hear something when you are walking on the street with moderate amount of people and traffic around you. After all, who needs to hear what the other person is saying? Oh...wait...they are saying "I cant hear you.....I cant hear you...speak louder!". This is when you realize that the microphone volume control has been "worked on" as well and start screaming into the phone, scaring the living crap of people around you. Works very well in public areas. Why dont I use the speakerphone? Why should I? Why can't I use the normal speaker and the microphone like millions of other people who own normal phones do?
    Many people have this gripe. I've only had a problem in high noise settings; but even today I troubleshooted the cross-connect from hell inside a very noisy datacenter without a problem. Maybe I got lucky with this phone (that'd be a first...)

7. I work in an EVDO coverage area and live in a CDMA 1X coverage area. When I come home from work, the phone sometimes thinks EVDO is available (I know for a fact that its not) and starts intermittently switching between displaying 1X and EV symbols on the screen. During this time calls go to voice mail and data connection is dead as well. Wonderful. So someone calls you, your phone goes right to voice mail, the caller leaves a message, and you get a voice mail indicator, right? WRONG! The voice mail indicator is replaced by the EV/1X indicator. So you realize you have a voice mail 3-4 hours after it was left....so what? It's not like people leave you important messages, right?
    Mine blinks red. Get a 3rd party app the does alerts. These phones aren't perfect. You sound like the perfect candidate for a Blackberry, in all honesty...

8. I remember getting excited reading about crazy EVDO speeds and fast broadband-like Internet connectivity. Raaaaaight. People who use EVDO PCMCIA cards in laptops MAY get somewhat close to those speeds. But not you. Not if you are using XV6600. The very best speed I was able to get on a XV6600 is around 400Kbit/s in Midtown Manhattan, with full signal. Thats peak. Day to day average speed is around 250Kbit/s. Message to all the people who expect to buy XV6600 and browse the Internet, loading web pages in fractions of a second: time for a reality check.
    Aside from latency, web browsing is like changing television channels. From the west LA to downtown LA, I've never actually watched a web page load; it just appears after about a second (which is about the latency of the connection)

9. While reading about wonderful Bluetooth support on a XV6600, I was dreaming of sitting somewhere with my laptop, with XV6600 in my pocket, and browsing the Internet via Bluetooth. Now, for the reality. When I spent only 2 minutes pairing my Thinkpad (with built-in Bluetooth) with XV6600, I thought:"Wow, this was too easy". Boy, was I right. That was just the beginning. Apparently, you must shut down phone's own EVDO/CDMA connection completely before you can even use it as a modem. And since the genius mentioned in paragraph #1 did not think of implementing a simple "Disconnect" feature in the phone, the only way to disconnect is to do a soft reset or the good old flight mode on/off trick. After you do that, you MUST catch the moment when a phone is trying to establish data connection again and hit "Cancel". All good. Lets browse the Internet and broadband speeds! After a whopping 20 seconds of browsing, the phone broke the Bluetooth connection. Subsequent events to re-establish it resulted in "There is no dialtone" message from the laptop. This particular problem is easily fixed by doing a soft reset. I mean - 1 soft reset per 20 seconds of being connected - how bad can this be? At least you get the broadband speed. Another cool feature is that the screen always remains on while Bluetooth connection is active. Makes an excellent flashlight. What? Your battery life with Bluetooth on is 50% less than with Bluetooth off? No problem, just use one of the 3 chargers you own!
    Apply the patch. Again, these devices don't work flawlessly out of the box. You have to do some research and spend some time getting to know the device. If you want it to just work, get a Treo or a Blackberry. I can't because I need the power - if all you need to do is make calls and reply to emails; this isn't the phone for you.

10. And the final feature. Verizon decided not to include a ringer with the phone that you can actually hear when the phone is in your jacket pocket, or in another room. Why bother? After all, you always have the phone on you, 24 hours a day, right? So I had to download the "kyocera" ringer that some kind person (THANK YOU SO MUCH!) has created. Yes, people jump when my phone rings, but I look at it as an added benefit. and at least I do not miss phone calls when my phone is not on me. All good, right? NOT. After a couple of days, the phone just stops ringing. Calls come in, incoming phone call dialog is displayed, etc. But there is no sound. And no vibration either (even though the device has been configured to ring AND vibrate).
    Download one of the many amped ringers; they work quite well. As you can tell, I have no real hard gripes about my XV6600. However it definitely is not for everyone.

You're complaining about getting 250-400kbps? Try living in what is 90% of the country where we all still only get 30-100kbps.

Question...is this your first PDA/converged device? Just trying to add some perspective to the conversation...

1. I find on my XV6600, when connected to a data session, the phone does accept the incoming call. Before I applied the recent ROM update, I did experience the same thing as you -- calls going to voicemail during data sessions. I don't know if it was the ROM update that cleared it up, but incoming calls can get through during a data session.

2. Can't say that I've experienced the data connection dying. Typically, I commute on a train and go through many service areas. I usually establish DUN to my laptop and goof off. My experiences have been that as I change towers, there is sometimes a slight lag, but the data session itself is never completely disconnected. Even going from 1x to EV, I'll notice the speed differences, but the data session remains connected.

3. For the random wakeup, try going into the VZW Wireless Sync app, and deselect all the options. I had this happen to me once and after I did that, never occured again.

4. Battery life does suck, no getting around that. Have you disabled the ability to accept incoming IR beams from Settings? That will help to squeeze some juice out of it. Honestly, BlueTooth is active for about 2 hours a day, I turn the unit on and off all day long, send an average of 10 text messages, and connect for an average of 45 mins/day to data services...still manage about 70% at the end of a 11 hr day.Also be mindful that low signal/no signal areas can help to deplete battery life.

5. As far as the screen and calls...all I can say is BlueTooth. Maybe 5o percent of the time I use a headset and the other time I use the phone itself to make calls. It really isn't too bad to turn off the screen with one hand.

6. I have to say since the update, my in-call volume problems have largely been fixed. I have no problems hearing it in my office which has a white-noise generator or on trains. I've been testing the HS820 the past few days and do find the volume to be better on the HS810.

7. Haven't had that issue. My phone will switches between EV and 1x and calls are recieved just fine.

8. Can't speak for your area, but my service area has been great. The fastest I've gotten up to was a little over 420kb and I found that to be more than enough. If it handles streaming applications...I'm fine.

9. I've always had success in holding down the end-call button to disconnect a data session. SOmetimes it takes two presses, but it's never failed me. You are correct as far as establishing a data session...you can't be connected on the PDA when you initialize it from the laptop...but this is how must DUN setups are. In regards to your connection dropping, is your PDA powering down when this is happening? That's the only time I experience a data connection dropping...when the PDA is turned off.

10. The ringers are bad, but you can always make your own.

I am sorry to hear that you are having bad experiences wit this device as I think it's great and want to see it suceed. I totally agree, not everything is stable and ready for primetime. ANd maybe because I've used PDAs for so long, I can deal with the quirks...it's inherient in these devices. Hopefully you'll give it a shot a while longer and start to develop a routine. Once you get a routine going, this device only compliments it!!
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

eugenek,

I agree with everyone of your points and I experience the exact same issues. Its frustrating but I think its the price we pay for being early adopters.

I still like my xv6600. I also owned the ppc-6601 for a while. There is nothing better really. I just wish these numerous issues would be taken care of.

I dont think there is another phone that can connect to all my corporate email to allow me to interact so well remotely(using goodlink), chat on all major chat servers, be a phone--although not a good one, watch TV using Orb, VC for easy dialing, BT headset convenience, GPS w/bluetooth, full screen web browsing with Thunderhawk, apps, etc etc.

The major problems lie in the fact that it is all so buggy and unreliable.

David

Wow...call gets through when on data!

"I find on my XV6600, when connected to a data session, the phone does accept the incoming call. Before I applied the recent ROM update, I did experience the same thing as you -- calls going to voicemail during data sessions. I don't know if it was the ROM update that cleared it up, but incoming calls can get through during a data session."

Wow...thanks, I did not realize this is now fixed...I just tried it and it is...you now get the call when online!...cool
    "Put on God's whole armor, that you may be able successfully to stand up against the strategies and the deceits of the devil"

Ep. 6:11

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I hesitate to bring less joy to your lives... but what is true is that the data is always on, but may be dormant.

When it's dormant, calls can come through. When it's not dormant, they'll still go to VM.

This is easy to test. Get your landline ready to call your cell; make wireless sync start up a synchronization... then call your cellphone. Watch the call go to VM.

Wait for wireless sync to be done. Give it a few more seconds. Then call... even tho the data indicator is on, the call will come through because the data connection is dormant.

Ehud

i have a 6600 and with sprint....but i have the same probs with eugenek's #1 and #2

Originally posted by Ehud
    I hesitate to bring less joy to your lives... but what is true is that the data is always on, but may be dormant.

When it's dormant, calls can come through. When it's not dormant, they'll still go to VM.

This is easy to test. Get your landline ready to call your cell; make wireless sync start up a synchronization... then call your cellphone. Watch the call go to VM.

Wait for wireless sync to be done. Give it a few more seconds. Then call... even tho the data indicator is on, the call will come through because the data connection is dormant.

Ehud
    So after a data connection is initiated and there is a transfer in progress, the call goes to VM? If the connection is active but there is no transfer of data, a call can pass through?
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    They use the term "dormant" so I'll stick with it. If it's dormant, the call comes through. If it's not dormant, the call goes to VM.

I don't know how "active" or "transfer of data" affects what they define as "dormant".

E

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've gotten this a few times as well. A soft reset fixes it, but it's still annoying. I will be troubleshooting with VZW Data Support Group next week about this very issue. There better be a fix, stat.
    Careful when you say "only". Just disconnect from the data network and all is well. I use the registry hack that adds the "Disconnect" option to the connection bubble. Tap that disconnect, and I don't even have to redial the number. The phone just ends the data connection, and starts the voice connection. The whole process takes about 2 extra seconds.

Where do you get this registry hack!?!....

Converged Junkie
    I would have agreed with the original comments when I first received the phone several months ago but most of the probelms are now either resolved or useable for an early adopter. I have tried multiple converged phones and this one by far seems to be the best I have ever seen. The latest download seems to have mitigated most of my complaints. The ringer issue is a no-brainer, simply dowload one or make your own. I am a heavy user and keep a spare battery available which I need after 4-5 hours of heavy use. I dumped my Mototrla 810 headset and bought the new Logitech one which is much louder, has less static and pairs very well and stays paired. I do wish someone would address the annnoying message baloon and better breakout what I missed. A soft speakerphone feature would be great but now that I wear the BT headset much of the day - even that has become a non-issue, but certainly a nice to have. Another great to have feature would be the ability to use my BT headst to engage MS Voice Command. Seems silly to turn on the phone, press a button to turn on VC, attempt to hear the VC with my one remiaing ear and then wait for the headset to turn on to talk.
    Ps - I enjoy this site. Acts 1:8
    Last edited by cisco4u; 03-05-2005 at 09:20 PM.

Originally posted by cisco4u
    Seems silly to turn on the phone, press a button to turn on VC, attempt to hear the VC with my one remiaing ear and then wait for the headset to turn on to talk.
    What I do is press the multi-function button on the BT headset, press the VC button, issue the command through the BT mic, and then glue the phone to my other ear to hear the answer. As such VC 1.5 is useless for BT, and useless in a noisy environment.

This is all rather concerning for me. I have missed a number of calls, as have we all. When I was comparing the 650 I had (before returning it in favor of the 6600) I didn't compare the two on the issue of letting voice calls come through when there was a live data connection. Does it work the same way? Other questions:

1. Where is the reg hack to allow easy disconnect from the data network?

2. Would it be possible for someone to write an app or hack that lets the user decide the priority (voice or data).

3. What happens to a voice call in progress when 'push' is intiated from the desktop server (in my case Outlook). There must be some kind of mitigation.

4. Any more general comments about how you all deal with this problem. I am checking/writing email and web surfing a LOT on my 6600/Sprint but don't want to miss calls.

5. Somewhat related: My bubble that comes up listing missed calls or voicemail often says "1 new voicemail" when there are multiple ones. Anyone notice this? And I would like a better alert that there is voicemail. Any tips?

Robert