+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

power User's setups for the 6600?

i was curious to hear from the power users out there of the setup they may have working well for them.
    eg.s GPS, streaming viideo, TV, radio, business uses, laptops, remote controls. PC control.....................

any replys?
    anyway i was just wondering the usefulness of the 6600 before i make the switch. ive read a lot of neat ideas of usage, but im not sure actually how people are applying this on a day to day basis.

I think that's what this forum's all about. Just search for your particular topic of interest. You'll get more results than you know what to do with.

Really. Just go through the threads and you will find just about every type of device covered. What works, what doesn't. What you should buy, what you should stay away from. Every user is different...
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

yes i understand. however in looking at some of the post , i dont get an idea of what
    a power user may have on his entire system
    that is working and that they use on a regular basis.

specify...

I saw a man at the hollywood bowl (maybe the greek) with a ppc, hooked up to an antenna of some type which allowed him measure the over-all decible output for the venue. He had at least a 3300 mAh battery protruding. I would consider him a power user... but power users are as varied as the devices. the question is: what do you want to do?
    _C-

<a href="http://rechords.com/survival_kit.JPG" target="_blank"><b><font color="blue">>_< </font></b></a><br />

Sickwidit
    Yes it all depends on what you want to do. I'm a power user, no doubt about that, but what I use my ppc for you might not.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

sometimes i just like to experiment around.
    so i was just trying to find out how others are using their 6600, rather than trying to accomplish any one specific thing.

If this is your first PDA, you should google for everything about PDAs and Windows Mobile to get a high level overview.

If this isn't, then you should just go to sites like PocketGear and Handango and look through the available software. You might also try checking out MobilePlanet which often has hard to find items.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I have Windows XP Media Center 2005 on my computer at home with my dishnetwork hooked upto it. I have it set up to record my favorite shows, then when I am on the road and get bored, I can watch my tv shows. Or if I am out of town, I can watch my local news live by streaming it from my media center PC and using some software from orb.com.

I also love having access to my thousands of mp3's on my computer. Play any of them any time, anywhere, or just stream music from shoutcast.

Those are a few things I use my 6600 for!

Is that what you meant by "Power users"? I don't consider audio and video streaming to be power use.

Using lots of applications simulataneously while emailing, web accessing, VPN'ning, phone calling, remote controlling, etc is what I call power using.

device energy demand vs. mobile living room.
    _C-

<a href="http://rechords.com/survival_kit.JPG" target="_blank"><b><font color="blue">>_< </font></b></a><br />

I would consider audio and video streamng to be a power user. its a term I would use to describe any usage beyond "average".

Hi Tech Trader
    I use my ppc to monitor my finances (use Cash Organizer and Moneysync) to surf the internet, to log on to my laptop remotely (logmein.com) while texting a coworker, I used it to find a good restaurant while my date and I were waiting for a movie to start, I use it to stream video with beyond TV, I wrote an email while in line at the post office, I use it to take all my notes in class, I use it to play games at work when bored (morphgear), I used stacked todo's built into pocketinformant to organize the restoration of my car, etc, etc.....

and of course its my organizer and a good cell phone too!

I think this poster just wanted some ideas of what to use a smartphone for. Hopefully I just gave him some!

you mentioned logging into your laptop. like a vnc....ive tried this w my sprint treo650 but I've noticed that the image was very small and the control was very slow. what practical applic w the vnc have you noticed w the 6600 ?

Sickwidit
    I use my devices to vpn into networks, configure lucent 5ess switches, ECP's and cell sites. I use remote desktop to control servers on various networks over vpn, stream music, video, configure switches, T1 smart jacks, microwave radios and a few other things via telnet sessions. You can do soo much it's not even funny. Oh and I do e-mail, PIM, web browsing, IM, RSS and Newsgroups.
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

so how fast is the vpn on your 6600? also what is microwave radios?

Sickwidit
    Vpn on the 6600 is very good I'm able to stream 100kb/s video from my media server at home with no problems at all. of course one EvDO comes out i'll be able to bump the bitrate up.

As far as microwave radios, it's a way to get T1 connectivity to remote places. At work we use them to get T1's to various sell sites in the area cause it's much cheaper and dependable then verizon for T1's.
    My Devices

does 100kb/s video mean your able to stream video that is not choppy? audio
    quality of video?

Originally posted by TonyH
    Is that what you meant by "Power users"? I don't consider audio and video streaming to be power use.

Using lots of applications simulataneously while emailing, web accessing, VPN'ning, phone calling, remote controlling, etc is what I call power using.
    ITA. IMO, it is fun (and geeky) to use this device to do things that can be done with stand-alone devices -- iPod, DVD player, radio, TV, etc. However, multitasking and/or making the device do something that it was not designed to do (e.g. VOIP) is power use.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135