+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PPC-6600 worth it?

I'm looking REAL HARD at getting one of these . . . are they worth the price? Sprint has them marked way down right now ($353.99 after rebates)

Most importantly to me, can it be used as a modem in my laptop? I know Sprint doesn't officially support this, but does it work?

Thanks much!
    --Aaron

Yes

Yes

Jeremiah 29:11

I say: yes, yes AND yes!
    Sprint PPC-6600.

I just got the PPC-6600 last friday going on two weeks this Friday and so far good choice. The only two things that are buggy on the 6600 is the. 1 The camera software doesn't work with Voice Command and makes the camera software lock up and some report that they don't even have the Voice Command and they are having problems. 2 When you use the camera feature the backlight goes up to 100% and you have to change it back to the way you had it before you used it. This hopefully gets fixed with a update soon.

Heck with the camera . . . I could care less about that. I'm more concerned with data speeds & PDA usability.

My current phone (MPx220 from Cingular) has the MS Smartphone OS on it, it has this kickass software called VoiceSignal that lets you dial contacts by name with the touch of a button, WITHOUT "training" your phone first to recognize the names. Does the PPC have anything like this?

What's the difference between the PPC-6600 and the PPC-6601? They both appear to have 128MB according to the Sprint site?

No the PPC 6600 doesn't have any Voice dialing you would have to buy a program for that. I use Microsoft Voice Command 1.5 and set a button to touch and use WITHOUT training it. I have set it up to be used with my Tablet PC for modem and it works great. I dont use it much because my work pays for a Verizon AirCard for my laptop, but I can use it as backup. The only difference between 6600 & 6601 is that the 6600 has the camera and the new Bluetooth Drivers installed.

Ah, I see, thanks for the info. I actually purchased MS Voice Command some time ago for another PDA, and was never able to use it because I needed PPC 2003 (I had PPC 2002). Maybe I'll get to use it now!

Do you use it as a bluetooth modem on your tablet or do you have to use the cradle or sync/charge cable?

I use the bluetooth to connect to my tablet, and also have a bluetooth GPS for my 6600 and bluetooth headset the Jabra BT250 ok headset I think there is better one's.

I just got the 6600 and I am a sprint customer too. You said the data is your most important feature so I figure I'll give you my experience.

I've been using them(I have 2 6600's) for about a week now.
    The data speed I get is fairly consistant, about 350Kbps. thats with 4-3 bars signal. 3-2 bars is 280-312 Kbps and the slowest I ever got was 108 at 1 bar using blue tooth. I have noticed usb is faster, especially in low signal areas. But I have gotten as high as 386Kbps using my bluetooth on my laptop. These numbers are from cnets speedtest, I've used them for a long time and they are pretty accurate, if not a little low some times.

Oh last I checked the 6601 is back ordered till end of march so you might as well get the 6600.

I never went past 142 KBPS on my Sprint PPC phone. Sprint is still using 1XRTT.

My Bluetooth is built in!
    Originally posted by gward
    I just got the 6600 and I am a sprint customer too. You said the data is your most important feature so I figure I'll give you my experience.

I've been using them(I have 2 6600's) for about a week now.
    The data speed I get is fairly consistant, about 350Kbps. thats with 4-3 bars signal. 3-2 bars is 280-312 Kbps and the slowest I ever got was 108 at 1 bar using blue tooth. I have noticed usb is faster, especially in low signal areas. But I have gotten as high as 386Kbps using my bluetooth on my laptop. These numbers are from cnets speedtest, I've used them for a long time and they are pretty accurate, if not a little low some times.

Oh last I checked the 6601 is back ordered till end of march so you might as well get the 6600.
    Sprint's CDMA 1xRTT implementation has a upper limit of 144kbps, I dont think it is very accurate. : )
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

If you want the best road warrior power in the palm of your hand....then I would advise YES. This is by far, without a doubt, certainly, above all else, the most powerful phone I have ever seen. I am on the road all the time and it continually amazes my co-workers all the time (and many of them have the Treo 650). Did I forget to mention that I like it a lot?

If you want phone with less PDA power, then I would go with the Treo650....though check out TreoCentral on the latest status of it's bugs that they have been working on...ie. memory issues, sound quality, etc..
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Considering Purchasing a PPC-6600

So here's what the thing is: I've heard some great fantastic out of the park things, and some well, not such great things. Both I have found in this forum. The thing is I can kind of buy into this with a contract or not. Without a contract it's something like $480. With a contract it's more like $330; but that's two years with a phone I am unsure will be reliable as a phone. And I don't have a whole lot of money; I just get sucked into wanting a new one of these things in a blink of an eye. And I love the idea of the PPC 6600, I'm just worried of its pitfalls and if I can live with them. I'm a little new to the PDA phone world. Truth be told it *will* be my third. First I had my i330, then my i500 and now I'm shopping again. I kind of want a PPC environment and was reccomended this phone by Convergent. I actually think the i600 doesn't look half bad, honestly, except no touch screen; SUCH a downer. Anyway I'm just a little ancy for signing something on for two years when I don't know if I'm going to like it.

What say you all?

You can try the Sprint PPC6600 for 14 days risk free. Use it, and see whether you like it or not. Only you can determine if it works well for you or not.

During the trial period, install some 3rd party apps and see which ones cause problems, use the phone in its different modes: HF with bluetooth, speaker phone, direct. Use in quiet and noisey environments, weak and strong signal areas, and use the vision data for email, web browsing, etc. If you're not happy on day 14 then return it and you;ve lost nothing except activation fee and usage.

Hey wow you live in Sacramento. I'm a student at UC Davis. Where is it do you suppose I can find one of these? I went down to the Sprint store on Greenback, nothing. Best Buy on Sunrise, nothing. I was thinking of something a little eccentric.

As a business deal they have to open a new account anyway. Would it be completely obscene to use the 6600 as a peripheral while owning a different phone to talk on?

compusa

Yeah, I'm looking at this real hard. I use Cingular for my personal phone but our office has a business agreement with Sprint so the on-call phones are Sprint Treo 650's.

I was looking at the Cingular version of this phone (Siemens Sx6) for my personal use but it doesn't support EDGE, meaning crappy dial-up speeds (33k - 40k).

In my past experience, Sprint's data network far exceeds any other provider so I'm gonna see if my office will buy one of the PPC-6600's instead of these Treo's. They're almost the same price!

The ONLY reason I left Sprint in the first place, about 6 months ago, was their lack of support for using their phones as a wireless modem (most frustrating -- the Samsung i600!!). At the time that I left, they had almost no phones left that could still be used this way, so I bailed & went to Cingular since they actually allow people to do this.

Get it ! You'll love it. I use mine as a wireless modem and I'm paying $10.00 month. Nobody can beat that. I just don't abuse it. Maybe 2 hours a week.

Heading there tonight, thanks!

OK, so I pretty much purchased it. $327.00, not bad, eh?