+ Reply to Thread

Exchange ActiveSync (EAS)

I believe Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) uses specially-formatted SMS messages to signal the XV6600 to call in and sync; and it was mentioned in another thread that there could be charges associated with these SMS messages since it's not part of the unlimited Broadband access.

Has anyone checked their charges (try #DATA) to make sure they're not being charged for EAS syncing to the device?

Thanks!!

Sickwidit
    Although I'm not with Verizon I've found that it's not the data that gets you it's the sms triggers to the device. The best thing to do is have a good sms plan that way you won't get hit with overage charges.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Yeah, it's the SMS message I'm wondering about - the unlimited Broadband plan with Verizon doesn't cover SMS messages. If one uses Verizon's Wireless Sync, there are no additional charges. If you use Exchange ActiveSync (EAS), however, I think there might be charges for each SMS - which can add up!!

Anyone confirm the use of EAS doesn't charge you for SMS' received?
    XV6600 (Verizon) paired with Akono HBH-6600 and 2005 BMW 545i's handsfree system

Instead of using "Always up to date", why not just set a scheduled sync every 5-15 minutes if it's that much of a concern? I don't use "Always up to date", but I'm fairly certain that VZW will charge for those SMS messages (2 cents each, I think).
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Sickwidit
    Ahh I see what you are saying, if you use verizon's provided solution there's no charge but if you have you own solution then they would charge the crap out of you. The problem with having the device sync every 10-15 minutes is that it will wear the battery down quickly. With always up to Date the device syncs only when it needs too. Now if you get tons of e-mail then having the device sync on a timed interval would be better than syncing every minute or so. Still that blows that verizon would charge you if you provided your own system.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

You can still do a scheduled sync w/ EAS. I've been doing it every 1/2 hour, and don't think the battery taking that big of a hit. If there's no email, it takes only a few seconds. I don't think the VZW app provides an 'always up to date' option.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Yeah, it's a bummer that Verizon would charge you if you used Exchange ActiveSync - in fact, using EAS is not even supported by them, only their own Wireless Sync is.
    XV6600 (Verizon) paired with Akono HBH-6600 and 2005 BMW 545i's handsfree system