+ Reply to Thread

problem with email download every x minutes

Now that the beep of death seems to have disappeared from my device with the newest ROM upgrade from Audiovox for PPC-6601, I would like to leave my data connection active all the time so that email from an IMAP server can be downloaded at regular intervals (every x minutes).

On my ppc-6601, this works fine with both the Messaging program and Webis Mail if the device is "on", with either the screen bright or dimmed, and with the email application either open or minimized. If the device is "off" (push power button on top right) but still with an active but dormant data connection), it does not get email at the specified (or any) interval.

I don't want to leave my device on all the time because of the chance of inadvertant key presses while in the case or my pocket, and because of what I imagine will be increased discharge rate of the battery with the screen dimmed yet still "on". Two questions:

1) Is this the behavior that others have experienced?

2) Any workaround? I guess one option is to get a program that locks the keys when the screen dims, if there is such a thing?

I searched this forum and several others for an answer but did not find one.

Thanks

Ok, didn't get any replies to this question so I assume that 1) it was a stupid question, 2) no one knows the answer or 3) no one uses periodic mail checking with pop/imap.

Assuming it was 1) , I did a search of this group for screen locking applications and found SuperDave's PhoneLock:

Phonelock 03.07 Beta - Phone Locking and Caller Picture

http://www.sdsoft.net/xdaiii/xda.asp

This can substitute for turning off the device, and it allows email polling (and other apps like mediaplayer) to contitnue without leaving the screen/buttons active.

Seems strange that the OS would come with the ability to periodically get email and yet the device, by default, must be 'on' to do it. Makes me wonder if there is a ROM setting from the manufacturer that controls this behavior. Any info on this?

I don't know what to tell you. I have periodic checking set for every five minutes with POutlook and also use Sprint BC. When my phone is turned "off", as you say, I continually get mail at the appropriate time with POutlook as well as my notifications with Sprint BC.

Which device/carrier do you have? I am using PPC-6601 from Sprint. Wonder if different carrriers set them up differently...

Sprint, PPC-6601. Perhaps you have some other application conflict?

mine 6601 is set to pull email every 5 or 10 depending on acct and my work setting. i notice it works about 75% of the time, the rest it doesnt. i notice it doesn't because when i do a maual check i get like 10 emails right away, and they should have been pulled before.
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

I have a Sprint PPC-6600. Pull POP e-mail works, but it will only do one account automatically. The account has to be the active account for it to work. Even if pOutlook is not running, it will only work on the active account which is the last account you used (the one with the asterick next to it in the Account list). The exception is BC whcih works regardless of it being the active account or not. So if you want to close (or minimize) pOutlook, but still want it to pull mail for a certain account, you have to make sure that it is the active account before you close it.

I agree, this isn't a good way for it to work. Maybe Microsoft will fix/improve pOutlook in WM2005, but who knows if we will ever see an upgrade offered for our machines.

Hope this helps.
    Jeff

HTC Fuze

Interesting! I didn't know that...... how did you find out?
    Also how is BC? I am thinking of trying it.
    Great info though..... Wish it wasn't the case though
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

Originally posted by Maniac8888
    Sprint, PPC-6601. Perhaps you have some other application conflict?
    I suppose that this is possible. In addition to standard program installs, i am running Voice Command 1.5 and a couple of Today Plugins. Other than that the configuration is pretty standard.

Originally posted by gameboy213
    Interesting! I didn't know that...... how did you find out?
    Also how is BC? I am thinking of trying it.
    Great info though..... Wish it wasn't the case though
    Just by trial and error. Documentation sucks.

I like BC, but it has some issues. The biggest issue is that there is some sort of bug in it so you never get notified when e-mail arrives; no alarm, no vibrate, no flashing light. Nothing. The only way you know if you have new mail is by looking at the today screen which will report how many unread e-mails you have. The PPC handles attachments really well, but you need a third party viewer like ClearVue to view PDF and PowerPoint (Word and Excel are built in, so they aren’t a problem).
    Jeff

HTC Fuze