+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WebIS Mail 2.0 - Stable enough to buy??

Well, what do you guys think? I've been running the 3.0 beta and it seems to work fine. Just seeking a little feedback from other users before I commit.

Let me know your thoughts.

TIA,

Bob Duckworth
    Last edited by rduckwor1; 03-06-2005 at 10:16 AM.

I would not buy 2.0.6. There are numerous problems with that version, and many have been fixed in subsequent beta releases.

I have been using 2.1 Beta 3 for about 3 weeks now. Nearly all of the bugs with earlier versions have been fixed with the exception of one major one - database corruption. Basically, you should *expect* that at some point your email database will become corrupted or your account info will disappear. It has happened to me once in three weeks of regular usee. The "fix" is to delete the account and set it up again. From a user point of view, just don't store the only copy of your email on your PDA! They are aware of this problem. The last email I received from them indicated that a release version of 2.1 will be out w/in the next month.

Webis mail is a great piece of software. As soon as the bugs are fixed I will be very happy to pay for a release version.

The most current Beta of 2.1 (beta 3) is available at:

http://download.pocketinformant.com/FTF/

You can read about known issues with Beta 3 at:

http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forum...p?showforum=10

The blog is mainly info from the developers:

http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forum...p?showforum=13

Thanks JW. How to work around the 2 week trial on the beta 3.0 cab until they get a stable release version?

Anyone??

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

I saw that note abaout a 2 week trial period but haven't run into any sort of expiration...

Try 2.1 beta 3 executable - it *might* have a two week time limit but am not completely sure, since last week I installed the Audiovox PPC-6601 maintenance release and reinstalled everything. However I'm fairly certain that I had it installed for longer than 2 weeks before that.

I suppose you could just reinstall it after 2 weeks if that is the case.

I will let you know after another week for sure

Really sounds like a release version is imminent, so if you want to see if you like the software, give the beta3 a try in the meantime. For a week or so the developer was saying that he might just make the beta3 the release version, but then the database problems started to be reported...

Oops, sorry Bob, I reread your email and saw that you *are* using the Beta3. Did it expire?

Originally posted by jaydubya
    Oops, sorry Bob, I reread your email and saw that you *are* using the Beta3. Did it expire?
    Yes. It expired yesterday; the trick is to never close it down. Difficult to do on the PPC as you have to reboot daily.

I think I'm just going to plunk down the $$ and take a chance. Off on a trip today and I will need email access. in and outbound and Poutlook doesn't allow a separate smtp server authentication subsection. Thanks to Bill and M$.

Bob

A need for separate IMAP / SMTP servers was the main reason that I had to dump Poutlook's "Messaging" program.

Re: WebIS Mail 2.0 - Stable enough to buy??

Originally posted by rduckwor1
    Well, what do you guys think? I've been running the 3.0 beta and it seems to work fine. Just seeking a little feedback from other users before I commit.

Let me know your thoughts.

TIA,

Bob Duckworth
    You don't say if you are using POP3, IMAP 4 or both.

From my experience, POP3 works fine. IMAP4 is another issue all together. It never has been particularly stable and the latest version is no exception. Evenually, it will be a very good IMAP4 client but not yet. YMMV, of course.

A need for separate IMAP / SMTP servers was the main reason that I had to dump Poutlook's "Messaging" program.
    Poutlook is a pain since most ISP's block their smtp servers from outside origin.

BTW: Pocket Gear is the only sales outlet that I could get to work today.

Bob Duckworth

Bob - let me know if you can continue to use the 2.1 beta3 version with your purchase or if you must use the one that they sell (2.06 I believe).

Reg code worked fine on the beta 3.0 version.

Bob
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

Nice. I will buy a license when my beta3 expires then.

I'm honestly sorry I purchased the registration. I didn't have any problems during my testing period but once I lost all of my mail folders, I discovered that there were many known problems.

It isn't just the code problems that bother me though. I don't like the way the code is supported. (This might be common for PPC code though.)

1. There is a forum but they warn that developers rarely show up there to address user issues. Therefore, users don't post there much.

2. The upgraded code is delivered in a way that you will likely lose all of your data. The developers recommend uninstalling/reinstalling and that wipes out everything. They should do one of 3 things:
    - offer a way to at least salvage your mail even if it is only put in text files. The users will at least be able to see the information in the data.
    - warn the user in their support email that you will lose everything. I've uninstalled many programs that DON'T delete the user data -- just the product code
    - provide a fallback alternative in case the beta doesn't work.

3. They send cab files which can't be installed to the card without using some 3rd party code.

I know, I know, I'm spoiled by better handheld software development. I may be on the "Dark Side" but I'm not willing to settle.

If I'm missing some key information, I'm open to hearing about it. I didn't investing in this device for it not to work out. That is why I started this thread. However, it appears that my evaluation of email software for the PPC was 100% accurate. Based on the replies, there isn't anything better available on the PPC.
    Need Good Pop3/Imap SW for XV6600
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Can't comment on upgrade procedure since I have been using 2.1 beta3 exclusively. I agree that there should be a way to salvage your mail databases. However it would seem that if you were using an imap/pop server it's not a huge issue. Still not right though.

Are you / were you running the beta3 version of 2.1? On handango.com under Webis Mail, I note that they recommend 2.1 beta3 for all users (they also indicate that a 2.1 release will be out "by mid-March at the latest".

Regarding support, they have been very good in terms of responding to support requests via their support page:

http://www.pocketinformant.com/support.php

I usually get a response w/in 12 hours.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    You forgot to mention that in addition to all the other problems, they don't implement the IMAP standard properly, so they can't deal with folders deeper than two levels deep.

... and if you contact support.... they tell you to post in the forums. Very childish. Very unprofessional.
    E

Are you / were you running the beta3 version of 2.1? On handango.com under Webis Mail, I note that they recommend 2.1 beta3 for all users (they also indicate that a 2.1 release will be out "by mid-March at the latest".
    I am using the beta now that the developers sent me the link. There was no mention of a beta on Handango when I made my purchase. If there had been mention of it, I would never have purchased.
    Regarding support, they have been very good in terms of responding to support requests via their support page:

http://www.pocketinformant.com/support.php
    I usually get a response w/in 12 hours.
    I agree they are prompt but I don't care for the quality of their responses. This product appears to be someone's hobby. That is OK too but I wish I had known that before purchasing.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

I've been using webis for a few months because there's nothing better available for now.
    The biggest drawback is the need to do a complete uninstall every couple of weeks. Either a file gets corrupted or the files containing your inbox and deleted files get intolerably large. A bug I reported a few weeks ago is that messages are never deleted from the inbox and deleted messages infobases so the webis data continues growing until I do a total uninstall and reinstall.
    Mick

Originally posted by MickCole
    A bug I reported a few weeks ago is that messages are never deleted from the inbox
    Mick
    I hit his bug for the first time a few days ago. Removing the account and setting it up again seemed to solve the problem (as opposed to uninstall/reinstall of software).

I asked support about a new version that corrects the bugs related to database corruption yesterday - received an encouraging (but as usual, terse) response of:

Yes, there should be a new build very soon.

--
    WebIS Support

Everyone should contact SnapperMail and encourage them to release their promised PPC build as soon as possible. I have been using WebIS and haven't had TOO many issues yet - but it's not a great piece of software. Anxiously waiting for something better.

Brandon

Anyone have direct experience using Profimail?

http://www.lonelycatgames.com/mobile...profimail.html

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...oductId=150944

Bob - saw on another forum that you have tried it and said it was difficult to set up. Any additional insight?