+ Reply to Thread

PPC 6601 Voice Quality

Now that BOD is gone from my PPC, I've been using it more for voice, only I'm noticing the voice quality with the ear piece is horrible, terribly distored....is this normal or a defect? Any suggestions?

could be a defect. Mine sounds great when using the wired headphones. Note that there are two ways to control volume - on the PPC, and then also a small volume slider on the cable.

I posted about this same issue in an almost identically titled thread "PPC 6600 Voice Quality?"

Thread: PPC6600 Voice Quality?

Anyways, yes, the sound quality out of the onboard earpiece is terrible and horribly distorted when in phone mode. (Like a Bus Terminal Announcement that nobody can understand)

But in contrast, playing an MP3 or WMA through that same earpiece sounds fine.

I think it is a software issue because other cellphones have excellent earpiece sound quality just like the MP3/WMA mode on this phone.

Ok, I was confusing "earpeace" with "headset". The supplied headset sounds great for both music and calls. Earpiece (speaker) is fair at best, worse when used as a speakerphone. Playing mp3s through the speaker doesn't sound much better, but at least they don't distort like the speaker does when using speakerphone.

Indeed. While listening to Claire on *2, I compared her sound quality on the speaker to "handset to ear" mode and speakerphone mode.

The only difference I heard was that the speakerphone mode was simply louder while the sound quality was identical.

None of the updates have addressed this issue to date.

So close to being a perfect device..I guess when I invest in a bluetooth headset all will be forgiven...

I hope you won't be too disappointed when you get your BT headset.