+ Reply to Thread

Question Reasons to wait for WiFi & EVDO?

This post might sound ignorant to some, but just bear wth me...

I finally ordered a PPC6600 and now I'm reading all this stuff about how they're new versions coming out... 6606, 6608, etc. I see all these threads about WiFi and EVDO but thus far, I haven't really seen a reason for me to want them.

Can someone summarize what the advantages of both of these features are?

I have a basic understanding of what they are but not in terms of cell phones... when I think of WiFi I don't see what good it would be on a cell phone.

I'm a mere college student and my needs in terms of a PDA aren't that extensive... just scheduling, note taking(directions and such), and an address book.

Thanks!!!

Administrator

Re: Reasons to wait for WiFi & EVDO?

you just answered your own question:

Originally posted by anovice

I finally ordered a PPC6600 and now I'm reading all this stuff about how they're new versions coming out... 6606, 6608, etc. I see all these threads about WiFi and EVDO but thus far, I haven't really seen a reason for me to want them.

I have a basic understanding of what they are but not in terms of cell phones... when I think of WiFi I don't see what good it would be on a cell phone.

I'm a mere college student and my needs in terms of a PDA aren't that extensive... just scheduling, note taking(directions and such), and an address book.

Thanks!!!
    they wont mean much to some people who one ever use the services... i for one, do not have a need to do any real computing o nmy tiny phone to where i need to have a wifi connection. for some people, they will be a godend...

now, EVDO will allow us to have data and calls at the same time. our phones technically will be able to easily upgrade to -DO so that may be useful..

but dont sweat the rumor mills here.. live in the present and not the future...

Actually, if I remember correctly one of the posts that mentioned the "6606 and 6608", I think they were just being tongue-in-cheek due the large number of variants of the HTC "Blue Angel" - what these phones are based on. There won't be any 6606 or 6608 as far as I know

EVDO is already built into the phones but only Verizon has limited service right now. Sprint will follow. The current speed of internet connectivity is generally between 50kbps-140kbps depending on where you live. EVDO will increase that to about 400kb.

WiFi is dependent on wireless access points (commonly called "hot spots" and, while much faster at 2mb to 11mb, are also rarely available and usually costs extra to use. The exception is, many people have set up WiFi access points at home or have them available at work, in which case they are obviously free and more more convenient and faster to use than the cellular provider's network. If you are a college student, chances are your University has WiFi set up for students to use for free.

WiFi is useful on a cell phone because then you do not have to use the slower internet speeds of the cellular carrier. That's all. If you don't go on line from your PDA/phone very much, then you probably don't need WiFi.

Last edited by DaleReeck; 03-07-2005 at 10:53 AM.

Based on a few years experience using a pdaphone for email, web surfing, and streaming audio, the inherent limits of the device are such that wifi doesn't really add much speed, if any, over what you get from Vision.
    The speed benefits of EVDO would seem to primarily benefit those who use the device as a wireless modem for their laptop.
    Mick

Originally posted by MickCole
    Based on a few years experience using a pdaphone for email, web surfing, and streaming audio, the inherent limits of the device are such that wifi doesn't really add much speed, if any, over what you get from Vision.
    Oh, yes, WiFi certainly does add speed. Try loading a decent sized web site like CNN.com in PIE over Vision, then over WiFi. Vision will take about a minute or so to complete the load on Vision/Express Network. WiFi will take about 10 seconds. You are talking Vision, with its theoretical 144kbps (actual about 50-100 in most places) vs WiFi's theoretical 11mbps (2mbps actual on a PocketPC - 5 to 6mbps on a laptop). A huge difference.

Okay... thanks!

We have WiFi available all over but I don't see that I'd be doing any big time surfing on my little tiny PDA phone... I'll stick to my laptop for that.

Regardless of whether or not the rumors of WiFi and/or EVDO are true(true rumors or true facts), it was helpful to clear up the functions of features. Thanks.

Administrator
    WIFI is a huge difference over vision, no contest there, but some of us do not need it...

:>)I hit the submit reply button too quickly. I should have qualified my post by adding that, mileage may vary depending on the website.
    Mick

Originally posted by DaleReeck
    Oh, yes, WiFi certainly does add speed. Try loading a decent sized web site like CNN.com in PIE over Vision, then over WiFi. Vision will take about a minute or so to complete the load on Vision/Express Network. WiFi will take about 10 seconds. You are talking Vision, with its theoretical 144kbps (actual about 50-100 in most places) vs WiFi's theoretical 11mbps (11mbps actual on a PocketPC - 5 to 6mbps on a laptop). A huge difference.
    Not to pick bones here but... your connection to the "internet" will most likely not be running at 2mbps. This is completely dependent on your provider, modem, router, in home wiring, wap and, in the case of DSL, how much you pay. I just "upgraded" my DSL service to 1.5mbps. My actual is around 800kbps. Before the upgrade, my actual was around 400kbps.

Think about it this way: the roads leading from my house to the freeway have a speed limit of 25mph. True, once on the freeway I can travel at more than twice that speed (ok 3x . But, you still need to stay at 25mph to even get to the freeway. Your connection to the internet would be your local roads, and the freeway would be the internet itself. So even if you travel at 90mph out your driveway (aka WiFi), you still need to stay at 25mph on the local roads.

And yes, cable/Tx networks are drastically different. But, again, your actual speeds are completely dependent on your area, service provider and other very specific factors local to your setup.

It's all about speed. Why do people like fast cars when a Dodge Neon can eventually get them to their destination? It's the speed and the ride pleasure. If you don't mind the long wait every time you click a link online then using a 28.8K modem maybe better for you. WiFi is very useful and very fast compared to 1XRTT, or EVDO. If you don't need it, that's your pleasure, but it does not mean it is useless.

EVDO is around twice as fast as 1XRTT. Therefore, if you access the web frequentl it is more pleasant to use EVDO than it is to use 1XRTT.
    Last edited by TonyH; 03-07-2005 at 11:44 AM.

Jason, Yes it all depends on where you are, how good the wiring is, how conjested the traffic is, etc. I typically cruise at 1.5 MBPS on my PPC Wifi at home. My home broadband is advertised as 11 MBPS. Laptop throughput is typically 8~9 MBPS downlink / 3~5 MBPS uplink.

S and K
    Ok help the ignorant here

How do you get wifi on a 6600. I thought I read that Sandisk had a wifi/SD card, but that it did not work in the 6600.

Anyone know?

K

Originally posted by TonyH
    Jason, Yes it all depends on where you are, how good the wiring is, how conjested the traffic is, etc. I typically cruise at 1.5 MBPS on my PPC Wifi at home. My home broadband is advertised as 11 MBPS. Laptop throughput is typically 8~9 MBPS downlink / 3~5 MBPS uplink.
    *drool* oh my. You can actually achive those speeds? Verified via something like c/net's speed check? http://reviews.cnet.com/Bandwidth_me...-7254_7-0.html

And here I thought we were kickin butt... Comcast just announced 4mbps speeds coming soon. That would put cable internet at speeds faster than T1.

PS: I just ran this at my office with an optimum connection to my desktop and I'm only reading 734.5kbps.

This is off topic but I just ran 1142.5 kbps with DSL and on a home networked wireless connection on my laptop...

Anyway, to StaciO, there is no PPC-6600 available right now with WiFi or EVDO. I just posed the question because I didn't really understand why anyone would need these things... now I do.

Thanks!

Originally posted by StaciO
    Ok help the ignorant here

How do you get wifi on a 6600. I thought I read that Sandisk had a wifi/SD card, but that it did not work in the 6600.

Anyone know?

K
    The 6600 (PPC or XV) has WiFi capability, but you need an SD card for it. The following two SD WiFi cards are reported to work with the PPC6600, 6601, XV6600

- Sandisk SD Card without the memory
    - Socket SD WiFi card

I have not used either card on PPC6600/6601. But my SX66 phones have built-in Wifi.

Originally posted by JasonWilliam
    You can actually achive those speeds? Verified via something like c/net's speed check? http://reviews.cnet.com/Bandwidth_me...-7254_7-0.html
    DSLreports.com/mspeed is for HTML and WAP. My results there are always "Too fast/unstable." So, I use verizon infospeed and toast.net to test WiFi. But there are other places to test, like cNet url you've just posted, and the full DSLreports.com

i made the jump from a qcp 3035 (5 yr old generic sprint cell phone) to the ppc-6600... i have never owned a pda.... i have had for 3 weeks, and even though i am encountering some speedbumpswith bluetooth & lan networking), i am having a blast....

it is so cool to be able to get to the internet at ANYTIME....no lugging a laptop...no bootup times...
    need to take a picture GOT-IT
    need to email....GOT-IT
    need to record a phonecall... No problem.
    need to waste time playin games....GOTIT.

i am so wound up about the device, i truly think that if (god forbid)...it broke. i would drop the cash for another one! (although the wifee' wouldn't be happy)

i have been waiting for years for an all in one cleanly designed, responsive, almighty cell / speakerphone/pda/camera......

I realize the camera isnt great....but it is there.
    there will always be a better model down the pike.....but look what happens when you wait to long.....
    (sorry, couldn't retain myself)

qu1nn
    HTC Mogul, ROM 3.35.651.2, RADIO 3.35.04 Protocol DCAAXAM-4350H, PRL 60610, HW 0003
    (former PPC6600 user; 2005-12/2007)

umm, how did u get the ppc6600?

because if u got it through sprint and it broke, as long as u have the $5/month coverage plan, u'd get a brand new one for $50

no need to shell out an additional $500...definitely worth it

i ordered direct. wasnt given the option.

i will look into.

qu1nn
    HTC Mogul, ROM 3.35.651.2, RADIO 3.35.04 Protocol DCAAXAM-4350H, PRL 60610, HW 0003
    (former PPC6600 user; 2005-12/2007)

you ordered direct, direct from whom? sprint? because as long as u got it SOMEHOW through sprint, and use it in any of your lines you can get that $5/monthly coverage plan