+ Reply to Thread

Dropped my phone - buttons don't work

I dropped my phone when I got out of my car this morning. It landed on an asphalt parking lot. I figured no big deal i had my Piel Frama case on it and it seemed to be working ok.

Well a couple hours later and the phone buttons (both the red and green) now bring up contacts instead of the normal functions. The contacts button doesn't do anything and the calendar button opens both the contacts and the calendar. There is very little visible damage done to the phone. There is a small mark just below the green phone button but other than that everything looks fine.

My question is: I'm assuming the drop caused some kind of hardware failure? Before I talk to Verizon customer service I was hoping for some thoughts from others on what could be causing this behavior.
    XV6600, EVDO

Bummer! It looks like your button mapping went out of wack as a result of this shock.

I would try hard resetting the phone to see if it goes back to normal. If that fails to remedy the problem then a replacement is in order.

These PPC phones are too darn fragile. I drop regular flip phones all the time, with or without cases, and they seem to bounce right back.

I feel for you. I dropped my phone on the sidewalk last week.

I'd assume it's a hardware failure as well. It's fairly easy to troubleshoot this. First, backup the phone. Then hard reset. If the buttons still don't work, it's a hardware problem.

Verizon will have you do the same thing when you call them.

i did a backup then a hard reset while I was on the phone with Verizon. The buttons were still screwed up after the hard reset.

Verizon is overnighting me a new phone and it should be here tomorrow. The rep didn't have any problem sending me a new phone even when I told him I dropped it. I still don't think a small drop like this should cause the phone to have a hardwear malfunction.
    XV6600, EVDO

Yeah, I agree. They are fragile. Verizon had no problem replacing mine, either. My problem, after a drop, believe it or not, was a blown speaker!

Also, be prepared, the phone they ship you will probably not have the 1.35 WWE update applied.

No big deal, just run the upgrade before you activate and restore your backup.

Originally posted by rhochstetler
    i did a backup then a hard reset while I was on the phone with Verizon. The buttons were still screwed up after the hard reset.

Verizon is overnighting me a new phone and it should be here tomorrow. The rep didn't have any problem sending me a new phone even when I told him I dropped it. I still don't think a small drop like this should cause the phone to have a hardwear malfunction.
    FYI, hard drives, stopped are rated for what.. something insane like 250Gs? Thats the decelaration rate for dropping a hard drive from desk height.

Despite what we would like, those aren't 'small drops'.

That said.. I agree. Sucks.

btf

Wow, that's great service !!!

FYI Update:

I only had my phone for two weeks when it was dropped. Verizon sent me a refurbished phone which for some reason had the same button issues as the phone I had dropped.

So i finally received a brand new phone today after fighting with customer service for two days. Much to my suprise the new phone was the camera version and it has the 1.35 update already installed. I guess it pays to get a little upset with customer service every once and awhile.
    XV6600, EVDO

I guess that I was fortunate. My buttons/phone continued to function after my parking lot incident. The phone only sustained minor damage. I will be posting it for sale (reasonably priced) "as is" as soon as I can get some pics. Verizon was very helpful when I asked for a new one and I haven't heard a good reason for owning two.

Hrmmm...last week I had this very same problem (Phone buttons remapped to the buttons up top) after installing PhoneAlarm so I thought that may be what caused it. My phone has never been dropped just as an added FYI.

I did a hard reset and that corrected the trouble. Haven't had the problem since. Strange....
    Phone: Treo 700w
    History: XV6600 -> Treo 700w -> XV6800 -> Treo 700w again.