+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More Press

More Press

Check out the cover of the new InfoWorld....front and center...

It's the Cingular version, closed and opened...
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

The Cingular version is cool, and has built-in WiFi, but GPRS is too slow compared to CDMA 1XRTT or EVDO, and the SX66 does not support EDGE. I've got two of them ready to return to Cingular for poor BT performance.

Originally posted by TonyH
    The Cingular version is cool, and has built-in WiFi, but GPRS is too slow compared to CDMA 1XRTT or EVDO, and the SX66 does not support EDGE. I've got two of them ready to return to Cingular for poor BT performance.
    What on earth made you think a 2nd would have any different behavior as far as bluetooth went?

btf

Because "some" SX66 users reported having "flawless" BT performance after the Siemens update. Now, after casting all doubt, I know that "flawless" means different things to different people.

You should ask "what on earth made you get a PPC6600 after trying PPC6601." The answer is: Price, waived activation, convenient store pick up (and return if needed), and a free DVD player, which has a $40 mail-in rebate from compUSA, even though it's free with any sprint activation.

Am I happy? Not yet. Those idiots at Sprint are having a hard time porting a Cingular number. It's gonna be 24 hours soon.

Because "some" SX66 users reported having "flawless" BT performance after the Siemens update. Now, after casting all doubt, I know that "flawless" means different things to different people.

You should ask "what on earth made you get a PPC6600 after trying PPC6601." The answer is: Price, waived activation, convenient store pick up (and return if needed), and a free DVD player, which has a $40 mail-in rebate from compUSA, even though it's free with any sprint activation.

Am I happy? Not yet. Those idiots at Sprint are having a hard time porting a Cingular number. It's gonna be 24 hours soon.
    Oh, I see. You're one of those kinds of consumers.

btf

Originally posted by bfaber
    Oh, I see. You're one of those kinds of consumers.

btf
    Agreed. Consider actions like this adding a good 15% percent to the cost of our products.

-BD

Originally posted by BrunDog
    Agreed. Consider actions like this adding a good 15% percent to the cost of our products.

-BD
    Heh.. I'm joking (somewhat) about try/send back/try/send back. Those actions increase cost for consumers at large, and are increasingly causing companies to create constomer black lists.

btf

Originally posted by BrunDog

-BD
    If your cost goes up 15% this year because I returned a few phones I'll gladly ask your carrier to refund you because it is my fault. But I won't put up with quality issues just so you "think" you can save money.

Every business plan takes into account a % of returns. That's where the refurb business thrives. That return is usually under 4%. So, I'm not sure what hat you pulled your 15% cost increase based on customer returns.

Did you read the article on the SX66? They didn't love it...

Siemens crams every feature imaginable into the SX66, integrating a full-size PDA and a quad-band GSM phone into a single package. Unfortunately, among its many capabilities it’s hard to find anything the SX66 does really well.

Its form factor favors a PDA, with its large touchscreen and buttons that activate applications rather than phone features. Even for a PDA, however, it’s disarmingly hefty, weighing in at almost half a pound. For phone calls, a Bluetooth headset will probably be your first accessory. Holding the unit to your ear is awkward, and the quality of the built-in speaker is poor.

In addition to the touchscreen, the SX66 features a slide-out miniature QWERTY keyboard, but this, too, is a disappointment. Most notably, the tiny and nearly identical Enter and Delete keys are placed side by side -- a formula for frustration. Imagine confusing those two while trying to
    configure a wireless network key, and you’ll understand how I learned to prefer the onscreen keyboard. The unit also supports handwriting recognition, but in practice this seemed like little more than a novelty.

The SX66 supports data networking using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or the Cingular GSM network. Battery life is good even with Wi-Fi enabled. A Windows Mobile Edition 2003 device, the SX66 allows you to use the full range of Pocket PC applications, including Pocket Word, Excel, and Windows Media Player. Still, unless you insist on carrying no more than one device, you might consider the SX66 an example of a device that aims high but ultimately falls flat.
    Cingular 8125 --Noreve leather case -- 2GB miniSD -- Moto BT headset -- Belkin BT GPS

It's hard to be objective when you're reviewer who has a chance to look at the product only for a couple of hours. I tend to rely more on actual user experience.

I never did like that keyboard. I can't get used to it.

Their last comment "Still, unless you insist on carrying no more than one device, you might consider the SX66 an example of a device that aims high but ultimately falls flat." is IMO out of place. General comments like these coming out of a supposedly knowledgeable reviewr can be destructive, and can sway the opinions of prospective customers.

My reasons for leaving the SX66 are bluetooth performance and lack of support for EDGE. Oh, and general phone reliability, but the SX66 is not alone in the converged device category with sub par phone performance and reliability.

If your cost goes up 15% this year because I returned a few phones I'll gladly ask your carrier to refund you because it is my fault. But I won't put up with quality issues just so you "think" you can save money.

Every business plan takes into account a % of returns. That's where the refurb business thrives. That return is usually under 4%. So, I'm not sure what hat you pulled your 15% cost increase based on customer returns.
    Whatever. Don't start this crap again that "it don't cost nuthin!" If you believe that you also likely believe in perpetual motion machines. Can you say "restock fee?"

To buy, return, buy again, return, buy again just because you don't have the patience to work through a few bugs or get a feature you know is inevitable is weak in my book.

I knew the camera version was coming out, I knew that it didn't have WiFi, I knew that Sprint's CS is a nightmare, I knew that the early versions had BT and other issues, and yet, I managed to be patient, wait a bit, and get exactly what I wanted and needed.

-BD

Wise guy. You don't set topics here. Take your complaint to Sprint, Cingular, and all other carriers. Whine all you want that customer returns are costing you money. Tell them not to accept returns. Let's see where that gets you, and them. In the meantime, we the consumers, will continue to exercise our rights to the fullest extent of the law.

OK, sheriff.

-BD

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    It's good to acknowledge authority.

E