+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ppc-6600 on VZW

ppc-6600 on VZW

I want a verizon xv6600 with camera, but I dont see that coming out for a while. If a buy a sprint camera one, unlock it (is it possible? cant find anyone who unlocks smartphones), even if I can get the voice function to work, will verizon be able to brand my phone with verizon firmware/features or will most of the network specific features still stay as sprint, and not work, and I wont have any verizon specific features?

most likely no. Sprint and Verizon use different software/firmware ect in their versions of the 6600 and each provider has several restrictions that keeps you from doing this. I'm not sure of it specifically but i'm pretty confident you cannot do it. For example Sprint's 6600 lacks the EVDO capability of Verizon's 6600.

I'll bet if you put the XV rom into the PPC it would work - anyone willing to give it a try?

BTW the chipset in all the CDMA versions have EVDO capability - whether they enable it in the software or on the network is a different issue.

-BD

If I load a XV6600 rom onto a PPC 6600 will I lose the camera (which is the main reason I want a PPC 6600 instead of a XV6600)? Thats the important thing.

such good Q

this is such a good question

i found out verizon has EVDO in my city so why would i want to wait until sprint decides to roll it out only to find out they wont support our ppc6600s

but why doesn't verizon have a camera version! i understand some ppl may not want a camera, so make both versions available!

the perfect marriage would be if i can unlock my ppc6600 and use it with vzw's BroadBand Wireless (i.e. EVDO)

thank you!

ps. i wouldn't mind being the guine pig and downloading the vzw ROM into my ppc6600, especially if it is undoable...can anyone else opine if the vzw ROM will work or not? how would i know without opening a VZW account?

Put the non-cam ROM on, then when they release the cam version, replace with that ROM!

-BD

so you are confirming then that the vzw rom would rendder my ppc6600's camera useless?

then there's no point...except it is cheaper than verizon's xv6600woc

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    As I've posted in other threads (mostly relevant), there is a way to get the XV6600 with camera (as I have one in my possession). You just need to spend more money than you'd most likely want. Ebay has them, and if you're in the NY metro area (specifically Long Island City), that's where there's a warehouse chock full o' them.

Given the fact that the units are just sitting there waiting to be shipped to retailers, I can't imagine that it would be much longer before they're sold "officially".
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

thanks for info sputnik!

you're definitely on to something when you say much more than i'd be willing to pay...heck even the pda2k with all that and a bag of chips (wifi + camera) costs the same if not less...

so, my question is, were you able to get it any cheaper by purchasing it in person? also, do you have the contact info/warehouse address for where one can get one's hands on these...i'm in Ohio, but I'd totally be willing to make the drive to NY if i could get them for about the same price as my ppc6600... which I guess is going to be pretty tough to beat $350

There are 8 files with camera in the name in the windows directory
    camera Wizard
    htc camera
    camera
    camera_detect
    Camera
    this is in the non camera model...
    seems to me the files are there
    M

interesting... if all it took was installing the vzw rom in the ppc6600 and the camera still works...then wow! i'm sold! hehe, evdo is already in my city by verizon!

so once i install the rom, would i just take it to a vzw store so they can activate it?

by the way, the xv6600 *with* camera can be pre-ordered from amazon for 499.99

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=britneyland&path=tg/detail/-/B0007Q3TNW/qid=1110268384/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl180/?v=glance&s=wireless&n=507846">xv6600 with camera</a>
    Last edited by nowinjustfun; 03-08-2005 at 02:07 AM.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    That rebate btw expires in two days. (3/9/05).

I will be calling vzw tomorrow. When it was on eBay they insisted it doesn't exist. Now that it's on Amazon they HAVE to sell me one.

Ehud

any luck?

please let us know what they say when you call...

also, what is the number you'll be calling? i'd be curious to try it myself...

(800) 922-0204

E

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    Verizon might not have them. They could in theory be held in warehouses around the country, much like the one I bought mine from. Also, that Amazon deal is for new VZW accounts only (and is not in stock yet).
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

They are taking the order as we speak.
    $660 without activation
    $100 off for 2 year activation

If you push, they will also find:
    $100 off for signing up for the unlimited "wireless synch" $45/mo plan. (That's how she caled it). (Stupid to get the phone without this plan... so how thoughtful of them to offer a discount.)

It only took one supervisor request to have them figure out how to find the phone.

I asked what I should tell you guys so that they can find the phone.

"it only comes up as a WOC -- we have to go through our inventory list to find it. It's not listed on the first screen we look at where it normally is."

E
    p.s. They said they are RUNNING LOW on the WOC. My opinion: There's a good chance they'll be doing substitutions (for returns maybe) soon...

EDIT: The $100 credit is only available in stores. I said: "Stores don't have it". She gave me $50 for the heck of it, and free shipping for my patience
    Last edited by Ehud; 03-08-2005 at 10:16 AM.

hahaha. amazing!

wow, i just called the same number and the rep told me they might have it available by March 15th...it's amazing how much misinformation one gets from these reps! and i wish i could say this was an isolated instance but it seems to work that way ACROSS THE BOARD (i.e. all companies)

so, is it actually being shipped to you as we speak or is it just a pre-order for when they actually become available?

did you talk to the regular telesales department or a different one? (e.g. business)

PS. i'm still thinking about using the vzw rom on my ppc...anyone else think it will work or not? and then how would i go about activating it with vzw? (the reason is the ppc is cheaper than the xv)

Originally posted by BrunDog
    Put the non-cam ROM on, then when they release the cam version, replace with that ROM!

-BD
    The rom won't let flash incompatible versions. XV6600 and PPC6600 aren't the same.

I'd also have concerns about prl's & radio firmware versions. 'May be issues there as well.

edit: Actually the radio version is in the rom burn... not sure about the prl.

btf
    Last edited by bfaber; 03-08-2005 at 11:04 AM.

Re: hahaha. amazing!

I called the posted number. I entered my 10-digit vzw number then hit options 0 and 3 for "other".

I talked with the first rep, and asked for a supervisor. She asked what was up... I explained... she talked to a supervisor and came back enlightened.

The phone is slated to arrive here tomorrow.

Ehud

Originally posted by nowinjustfun
    wow, i just called the same number and the rep told me they might have it available by March 15th...it's amazing how much misinformation one gets from these reps! and i wish i could say this was an isolated instance but it seems to work that way ACROSS THE BOARD (i.e. all companies)

so, is it actually being shipped to you as we speak or is it just a pre-order for when they actually become available?

did you talk to the regular telesales department or a different one? (e.g. business)

PS. i'm still thinking about using the vzw rom on my ppc...anyone else think it will work or not? and then how would i go about activating it with vzw? (the reason is the ppc is cheaper than the xv)

wow, awesome

so how did you manage to get the "brand new customer" goodies (i.e. essentially $200 off) if you were already a current customer? just curious, though im with nextel and sprint presently...maybe since i truly am a brand new customer to them, i might get EVEN MORE discounts? LOL, yeah right.

also, u mention that they told you it is only listed as "WOC" so how can one be sure that one indeed is receiving the camera version!? is there an internal code that distinguishes the woc from the camera version that i can use when i call in?

thanks!
    Last edited by nowinjustfun; 03-08-2005 at 12:50 PM.