+ Reply to Thread

Watching Shows Recorded from a Media Center PC on the xv6600

I have a laptop with MS Media Center 2005 and want to transfer shows I record to my 1 GB SD card so that I can watch them on my xv6600. So far I have been unsuccessful, the Media Player on my phone does not seem to recognize the format that the show is in (I believe they are in jpeg format, but may be wrong, all the tag says is Microsoft Recorded TV Show).

Does anyone have any thoughts or tips I can use? Do I have to convert jpegs (or other file formats) to another format to view on Windows Media Player on the xv6600?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

JMG

you can convert MS Media Center 2005 shows recorded in MS-DVR files to watch on Pocket PCs by using Windows Media Player 10 to sync them with your 1 GIG card if you have a card reader (cradle will work too, but Sloooooow)
    However... our XV6600 comes with Media Player 9, which wont' work, so you have to go through the trouble of conversion and then copy over manually...

More info here -> http://www.thegreenbutton.com

Check their forums... lots of info there.

More converged than ever!
    For those not lucky enough to have MS Media Center (like me), I have had great success transferring shows from my ReplayTV to my PC's hard drive using DV Archive. I use Womble to edit out the commercials and Pocket DVD Studio to compress - then copy the output file to the SD Card. It sounds harder than it is! At the highest quality setting, a Hogan's Heroes episode is just 71 KB!
    Used to be a Kyo fan, anyway. A "Smartphone" user since adding a modem card to my HP95 Pocket Computer (1992).

I have a TV tuner card (ATI All in Wounder) and record TV shows in mpeg1 format.

I then use XP's movie maker to take out unwanted Commercials and compress and save file as a wmv file which plays on our media player 9.

I could leave them as mpeg1 files but.... you need another PPC video player. (Lots out there for free). But the main reason is I get the movie or tv shows a bit smaller using wmv files.

I just recorded ToyStoy2 for my kids to watch in the car and its 147mb big. Not bad for a almost 2 hour movie.

Does anyone know of free software that converts Vob files to mpeg1 or something usable for our PPC?

Thanks
    Bob

I use software from orb.com. It's only $10/month and it streams your recorded tv as well as the live tv from your media center pc.

You can also use it to play all of your mp3's, view your pics and a few other things. It's worth trying out the 2 month trial. (I am just starting my second month.)

BTW, I am in no way affiliated with orb, this is only to help shed some light on a possible solution.

I am the POTIONS MAHHSTER!!! jaderaven's Avatar

Re: Watching Shows Recorded from a Media Center PC on the xv6600

Originally posted by jgriffithslaw
    I have a laptop with MS Media Center 2005 and want to transfer shows I record to my 1 GB SD card so that I can watch them on my xv6600. So far I have been unsuccessful, the Media Player on my phone does not seem to recognize the format that the show is in (I believe they are in jpeg format, but may be wrong, all the tag says is Microsoft Recorded TV Show).

Does anyone have any thoughts or tips I can use? Do I have to convert jpegs (or other file formats) to another format to view on Windows Media Player on the xv6600?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

JMG
    Try this link.
    It was developed with Windows Media Center in Mind. Perhaps it will help.

Thanks to all so far for your thoughts, particularly the link to MyTvToGo--you would have thought I would have found that program on one of my google searches...

I am still having format issues though, particularly with what I think are mpegs.

So my next question is, what video format will play on our phones in Windows Media Player 9? And if I have a file that properties says is a "Movie Clip," what format is that and how do I get it to play on my phone. I have little short clips I have received by email and such, and would like to be able to play them, but so far have had no success.

Thanks again for all your help.

James
    Last edited by jgriffithslaw; 03-08-2005 at 06:05 PM.

For anyone else who revisits this thread with similar questions...

My first problem is solved thanks to all of you.

I found a free WM-DVR to WMA converter here: http://www.thegreenbutton.com/downloads.aspx

It easily converted my 1/2 hour show from WM-DVR (1.6 GB) to WMA (64mb) and it played flawlessly. Took about 15 minutes to convert. Thanks again for the tips.

James

TOV
    The Entertainment Industry Chaplain TOV's Avatar
    Originally posted by jgriffithslaw
    For anyone else who revisits this thread with similar questions...

My first problem is solved thanks to all of you.

I found a free WM-DVR to WMA converter here: http://www.thegreenbutton.com/downloads.aspx

It easily converted my 1/2 hour show from WM-DVR (1.6 GB) to WMA (64mb) and it played flawlessly. Took about 15 minutes to convert. Thanks again for the tips.

James

Anyone have a copy of this program? The file on that server doesn't seem to exist anymore.

PM Me?

T0V
    TOV - The Entertainment Industry Chaplain

As an airline pilot I love taking shows with me, but do not have the time to convert them, so I use BeyondTV from Snapstream and it automatically converts my shows to the right size and format. It is one of my best tech investments.

TOV
    The Entertainment Industry Chaplain TOV's Avatar
    Has anyone tried this program?

Cole2k Media
    http://www.download.com/Cole2k-Media...ml?tag=lst-0-2

(Download dot com)
    TOV - The Entertainment Industry Chaplain