+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BT headset help: Akono (HBH-660) or Jabra BT800?

I know there are tons of threads on BT headsets, but I'm going to choose between these two because of the caller id.

Just a simple one or the other choice would be cool; and any other thoughts of course.

Links to specs for those who aren't familiar with each, yet:

<a href="http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp4_1_1&zone=pp&lm=pp4_1&pid=10188">Akono</a>

<a href="http://www.jabra.com/JabraCMS/NA/EN/MainMenu/Products/WirelessHeadsets/JabraBT800/JabraBT800.htm">BT800</a>

TIA!!
    xv6600|T-Mobile MDA|BB 7290/i700/HipTop color/HipTop bw/Thera/Motorola v60c/Ericsson R380s/Ericsson T39/Ericsson T28/Nokia 9000i/Nokia 7190/Nokia 6190/Nokia 5190/Motorola StarTac/Motorola OG flip phone/Motorola Bravo Express/Motorola Bravo Plus/Motorola Bravo

Check out the headset poll

Which head sets work with ROM 3500

Sample size for both combined is 12 votes. I guess, that's a lot considering the price...oh well...
    xv6600|T-Mobile MDA|BB 7290/i700/HipTop color/HipTop bw/Thera/Motorola v60c/Ericsson R380s/Ericsson T39/Ericsson T28/Nokia 9000i/Nokia 7190/Nokia 6190/Nokia 5190/Motorola StarTac/Motorola OG flip phone/Motorola Bravo Express/Motorola Bravo Plus/Motorola Bravo

I just bought the BT800 from CompUSA. I just wanted to test it out. People were complaining less about echos and not being able to hear me, but it wasn't that much better than the old Motolora I was using.

It has some cool features, but a little too heavy for my whimpy ear. The volume button feels awesome. Actually, the whole unit feels really nice and sleek.

Anyway, I'm going to return it tomorrow and try the Akono. Then, probably the HBH660 or something...

BT-800 $99 w/free shipping @ ecost. Five left.

I've been enjoying my BT800 for two weeks now. The caller ID, although very small, is clearly a great feature.

Originally posted by lgreenberg
    I've been enjoying my BT800 for two weeks now. The caller ID, although very small, is clearly a great feature.
    Do all of the features work with your phone/setup?

I thought I read somewhere else that some people are getting the name and number displayed on their caller ID screen. My BT800 has yet to display names only numbers.

Otherwise it's working as advertised.

Keep in mind I'm using a PDA2K.

Hello Prestonmann

I have an XV6600 with the Rom/Bluetooth upgrade. I also have both the Jabra BT800 and Sony HBH660. Here are my observations.

Connectivity - 800 takes longer to connect and answer incoming calls when phone coming out of a sleep. I sometimes miss the call because of the lag time - very anoying. Not a problem with the 660. Even when the phone is not sleeping sometimes it is difficult to answer. It is like the phone is not getting the signal from the headset to answer. Jabra tech support says they are coming up with a ROM upgrade which will be downloadable through the USB connectivity cable supplied with the unit to fix the connectivity issues. No time frame as of yet.

Volume/Sound - 800 is louder and the sound is clearer/better. I believe the clearer sound is due to the noise cancelling/processing. I have difficulty hearing on the 660 in noisy environments.

Caller ID - the whole phone number does not fit in the display of the 660. It scrolls across the tiny screen. To difficult to read and be useful. The 800 is clearly superior in the caller ID dept.

Fit - the 660 has a firmer better fit in the ear. I am usually fidgeting with the 800 fit to get it right.

Features - The 800 has more features - Vibrate, Ring tone selection, upgradable ROM, to name a few

Conclusion - I am keeping both. If the Jabra did not have the connectivity issues it would be the clear winner in my book.

Hope this helps.

Atsitalian

Originally posted by atsitalian
    Hello Prestonmann

I have an XV6600 with the Rom/Bluetooth upgrade. I also have both the Jabra BT800 and Sony HBH660. Here are my observations.

Connectivity - 800 takes longer to connect and answer incoming calls when phone coming out of a sleep. I sometimes miss the call because of the lag time - very anoying. Not a problem with the 660. Even when the phone is not sleeping sometimes it is difficult to answer. It is like the phone is not getting the signal from the headset to answer. Jabra tech support says they are coming up with a ROM upgrade which will be downloadable through the USB connectivity cable supplied with the unit to fix the connectivity issues. No time frame as of yet.

Volume/Sound - 800 is louder and the sound is clearer/better. I believe the clearer sound is due to the noise cancelling/processing. I have difficulty hearing on the 660 in noisy environments.

Caller ID - the whole phone number does not fit in the display of the 660. It scrolls across the tiny screen. To difficult to read and be useful. The 800 is clearly superior in the caller ID dept.

Fit - the 660 has a firmer better fit in the ear. I am usually fidgeting with the 800 fit to get it right.

Features - The 800 has more features - Vibrate, Ring tone selection, upgradable ROM, to name a few

Conclusion - I am keeping both. If the Jabra did not have the connectivity issues it would be the clear winner in my book.

Hope this helps.

Atsitalian
    Great post, this is what this board is all about, thanks!!!
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

As I have stated previously I own the 660, the Bluespoon AX, and a Cardo Scala 500. Of the three, the 660 is clearly the best. Its downside, I believe, is the lack of a DSP. I have not been able to find anything that says it has one. As I watch the price on the BT-800 creep down, and with this news of a possible solution to the connectivity issues, there may be a price functionality convergence for me on this device soon. I just hope that it fits.

What's a "DSP"?
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Originally posted by maximum
    What's a "DSP"?
    Digital Signal Processor.

Note to Jabra Tech Support -

Do you plan to have available soon a firmware upgrade that resolves the slow pairing/connecting issue with this headset.

Their reply -

The issues are being researched but at this time we have no timeline for solutions. When we do you will be able to find them on our Web site.

Sorry,

(Name deleted)
    Technical Support
    JABRA North America
    www.JABRA.com

My take -

I think I've finally decided to pass on this one.

the connection time is the only negative i can finf with my 800. hope they get a fix for it.....
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

Yeah I have the same delay, but I have gotten use to it. I like the sound quality of the device. Since the rom can be updated I'm sure they will have a fix for the delay soon. I bought mine off ebay for $100.00, Which compared to some of the online prices(if they even have them in stock) is a good price.
    Sprint Mogul/Jabra-BT8010

Administrator
    ecost has them for 99.00 special and 108.00 regular.

also, whos to say they will even make a patch for it? is this a wide spread issue or just to this particular phone? anyone researched to see?

Actually Ecost has them for $97.00 plus free shipping.

Who's to say if they will make a patch? I was going by the information provided in the above post that Smoothie received from Jabra, its something their looking into. So who's to say they won't make a patch for it? The fact is the headset is upgradeable it is likely if there is a fix it could be upgraded over the net. The delay is small and doesn’t hinder my use of the headset; it may though for other people.
    Sprint Mogul/Jabra-BT8010

Nearly two years ago I had a Jabra bluetooth headset. The biggest problem ** then ** was slow connection. I therefore tend to think this is a general Jabra characteristic unless someone can prove otherwise. At the time I did not own others to compare, but I do remembre that it was very very annoying and I found myself missing calls and getting into a panic everything the phone rang so I could get the connection going fast enough.

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    ecost has them for 99.00 special and 108.00 regular.

also, whos to say they will even make a patch for it? is this a wide spread issue or just to this particular phone? anyone researched to see?
    Widespread? Couldn't say. Does it happen with another phone? Look here.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=580544

I could be wrong but I believe my HBH-660 will re-pair with my phone and connect, faster than I have read it takes for the BT-800 to just connect.