+ Reply to Thread

a few isolated questions/comments

1) i got my 6600 to work as a usb modem on my laptop!!! yay! i see a speed of 230Kbps but i wonder if they meant lower case kbps... because it doesn't seem to be going THAT fast...but it's a lot faster than when using my ppc...weird, it must just be the limitations of the ppc's hardware...so much for upcoming evdo!

2) does anyone know what happens when you run out of the main battery and it used the back NiCMH back up battery? I mean, does it by default go into a less functional mode, and how long does this backup battery last?

3) i just called verizon directly, and the rep told me word is they'll have their camera version available March 15th..tentatively, you know how that goes.

4) what do CDMA phones use in place of a SIM card?

Your speed is not 230, as you surmised. Go to dslreports or someplace similar to find out your speed. 230 is the default number that pops up with the connection.

The backup is for switching batteries---make sure it is 100% before you switch them. The backup is listed at 20 minutes, but I don't think the phone will function at all during this time.

No SIM card---for VzW, you can switch ESNs of 2 (or more) phones onto your account from their website. Go to your account page, and it is on the lower right hand portion of the page.
    Jeremiah 29:11

1) Could be that the PC is just rendering the pages quicker, not neccessarily 'downloading' them faster.

2) You got ~20min (at MOST) to swap in a new battery or get it on a charger. This is assuming the main battery is completely drained. If you're swapping batteries, some people have experienced hard resets anyway if the backup wasn't at 100%.

4) ESN. Electronic Serial Numbers. The carrier links the ESN to the Phone number when the phone is provisioned.

Edit - Damn that mwfielder!!! He's just too quick!!!
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

thanks guys

thanks to both of you equally for the answers, regardless of the order

now, to add to my SIM question, i'm just wondering if once a phone has been provisioned with one company, it can be unlinked and reprovisioned with a different company?

Reason: I like my ppc6600 (w/camera, cheaper), but want verizon. Someone suggested trying to d/l the vzw ROM into the ppc, but then I wonder how I would go about activating it with VZW. It'd probably be so much easier if there were such a thing as a vzw sim card, but since that's not the case...oh well.

Thanks!

Originally posted by lmychajluk
    Edit - Damn that mwfielder!!! He's just too quick!!!
    LOL
    Jeremiah 29:11

Re: thanks guys

Originally posted by nowinjustfun to add to my SIM question, i'm just wondering if once a phone has been provisioned with one company, it can be unlinked and reprovisioned with a different company?
    If it uses the same technology, and you have the MSL code for the phone, and a hack to do it then I suppose it is possible. But there is no SIM in CDMA phones. They use ESN's instead.

Someone suggested trying to d/l the vzw ROM into the ppc, but then I wonder how I would go about activating it with VZW. It'd probably be so much easier if there were such a thing as a vzw sim card, but since that's not the case...oh well.

Thanks! [/B]
    Well, I'm still waiting for that someone to load the ROM and let us know how it went, and whether he moved to Verizon

Again, there is no SIM card in the PPC6600 or PPC6601 or XV6600. SIMs exist only in GSM phones--SX66 and PDA2K in this category.

nowinjustfun, see the thread about the verizon's version of the camera phone

ppc-6600 on VZW

what is the surfing experience like? does the browser fit or is there a lot of horizontal scrolling needed?

thanks.

with Wap it is the same as any other browser. With HTML you can choose to view single column or scroll as needed. With plug-in like PIEplus I see more of the full pages. With full browsers services like Thunderhawk the pages are compressed even further for maximum view.

NetFront is another choice for good browsing.