+ Reply to Thread

Fix for loose keyboard???

I as well have fallen victim to this. Are there any quick solutions, or workarounds (besides just gluing the thing shut).

Honestly, I barely use the keyboard as it is. Minus the keyboard we could have had a thinner, lighter unit.
    Last edited by maximum; 03-09-2005 at 08:17 AM.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Try black tape on the back of the unit when it is in the UP position, place it inbetween to two slides, should tighten it up quiet a bit.

Thanks.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Yep... it works rather well, and isn't an eyesore. I was happy with the result myself.

I know the tape works, but does anyone else get peeved at putting electrical tape on a $600 piece of hardware. Bad design HTC. I should have learned my lesson after I bought the acclaimed Thera.

Yes, it's very annoying. The electrical tape fix does seem to work well enough, though after a bit of time, the tape tends to 'smear', leaving behind a snail trail of adhesive.

Administrator
    i would not call it a bad design since others are not having this problem...

True dat!

I realize many don't want or need the keyboard, but I am thrilled to have it. I use it frequently and as far as I am concerned, there is no faster way to type a message.

-BD

This won't fix a "loose" slider, per se; but, if you're not afraid to take apart your phone, I think I have a good solution to keep the phone open or closed that involves the locking tab that holds the slider closed or open. I have had the opportunity to ummm... take apart a "demo" phone and I had a chance to note the way the locking mechanism works. If you guys are interested, I can post detailed pics about the operation. In the mean time, here's a crude diagram:

This is a profile shot of the device screen side down. As you can see, my MS paint skills aren't up to par... Anyway, let me expain...

The slider locking mechanism is simply a piece of "P" shaped plastic that slides along the back side of the display. The slider "locks" when the "P" slides into one of the two "valleys" built into the back cover of the display. There is a "valley" for each position. One open, one closed. In order to make it into a "valley" the "P" must flex to rise over the ridge. I believe over time, the piece will lose it's recoil and become less effective; therefore, causing a loose slider. I believe that sandwiching a piece of low density foam (such as weatherstripping) inbetween the circuit board and the plastic tab will greatly improve the way the phone locks. Although you can't tell from the extended portion of the display, the display's back cover is actually made out of metal. So, the extra force created from the foam will have a neglible effect on the display's back cover. What do you guys think?

Disclaimer: Taking apart your phone will void your warranty.

If it has not been done yet, I hereby coin this "PerfEng702's Loosey Goosey Warranty Voiding Slider Fix"

2 small #5 torx screws???

I heard that the 2 small #5 torx screws on the back of the screen can be tightened up to help with the tension problem.
    Does anyone know if this is true??????
    Verizon xv6600

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    i would not call it a bad design since others are not having this problem...
    This problem has been reported by many since the release of the 6601.

Guys,

I opened it up, installed a piece of 3M double sided tape (it's a little cushioned) where the plastic tab sits and it's like NEW. It clicks in both directions very nicely.

And, no. The screw tension will not do anythign...

Unfortunately, its not bad design, its physics. Two moving surfaces will eventually degrade over time and there isn't much you can do about it.

Actually, come to think of it, one design fix would be what someone here suggested - use the torque screws to tighten it up. Perhaps if HTC came up with a design that would allow screw tension to hold the pieces together, that might work.

Originally posted by RUYORK
    Guys,

I opened it up, installed a piece of 3M double sided tape (it's a little cushioned) where the plastic tab sits and it's like NEW. It clicks in both directions very nicely.

And, no. The screw tension will not do anythign...
    Can you do a "how to" write-up for us guys??????
    And what are those 2 torx screws for! ( since you had it apart )
    Z1

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Physics. A spring made out of aluminum foil will have minimal springiness and degrade almost immediately. One made of a NiTi alloy will take ages to decay, be restorable with a heat source, and work great. Whatever HTC used is somewhere in the middle.

It's a tradeoff between money and longevity, and some of us are not liking the logevity. It's not "physics".

Ehud

Originally posted by DaleReeck
    Unfortunately, its not bad design, its physics. Two moving surfaces will eventually degrade over time and there isn't much you can do about it.

Actually, come to think of it, one design fix would be what someone here suggested - use the torque screws to tighten it up. Perhaps if HTC came up with a design that would allow screw tension to hold the pieces together, that might work.