+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy I want to Cry Dropped my phone today

Hello Everyone....

Very Sad day... Dropped my phone about 2 feet on to the floor. Watched it like in slow motion as it hit (flat on its back) and the LCD Screen Cracked under the plactic protecter screen.

Went up to our Verizon store and they gave me a number to call and told me they MIGHT replace it.

I've had the phone for maybe a Month now. I thought I would call from thier phone at the store just incase.

When I first called they told me pretty much Sorry your out of luck. We can't repair or replace the phone. So I asked to speak to the Supervior. The Supervisor was nice and said we will TRY to resolve your issue, He then asked to talk to the Tech at the store. They talked for a bit and when the Tech hanged up he told me they were no help.

After spending around an hour and half there he (the tech) said for me to give me a number where he can reach me at and after he talks with his manager he will call me.

Sooo.. At this point don't know what will happen... I don't have the insurance and I did not know that the insurance even existed for that matter...

I thought that the phone came with a year warrenty, and it does but does not cover drops...

If I would have known this I would have bought the warrenty for $5 a month. I WILL get it when I get this Nightmare resolved.

I'm so sad... I'm phoneless to boot.

Anyone else have any advice?? ( besides don't drop the phone )On how far I should pursue this issue???

We just spent alot of money with them on not only my phone but 2 others and a two year contract. And we are about to buy other vx6000's in the future.

Thanks
    Bob

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Advice: insure the phone through your carrier's insurance policy. The $3-$5/mo you spend covers theft and damage.

E

Originally posted by Ehud
    Advice: insure the phone through your carrier's insurance policy. The $3-$5/mo you spend covers theft and damage.

E
    Leave it to E to state the obvious

That reminds me, I need to verify that insurance is set up on my phone.
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

S and K
    You can send it out to PC brothers (I think that was the name) and they can change ourt the screen for 2 bills.

Its high but better than 600.

I would check and make sure the phone is still ok besides the screen

K

I am the POTIONS MAHHSTER!!! jaderaven's Avatar
    Here is what you can do...

You stated that you are going to buy other xv6600's. So what you need to do is order another xv6600 on a new account. Insure the account that the new xv6600 is on. Then wait a few days.... then switch the ESN number on the new (unbroken) phone account from that phone to the broken one. Wait one day. Then call verizon customer service and tell them that you dropped your phone and the screen broke and you would like to make an insurance claim. They will connect you with the insurance company who will then initiate a claim and send you a new phone.

This is not on the up and up but it works.

Good luck.
    iPhone - AT&T
    Past phones:
    Samsung i700 -Verizon
    XV6600 - Verizon

Well yes I will get the Insurance now that I know about it...

I'll check into sending it out for the 2 bills if thats my only option.

I still hope Verizon will take care of me somehow?? Maybe wishful thinking?? Dont know yet....

Its funny, I bought a New Honda VTX 1800 Motorcycle in 2002 and bought the extra warrenty on that (5 years extented). But that does not cover drops either... By the way I remember the first month I had her, I dropped it doing something stupid in a parking lot.... Not a scratch on her !! Very Lucky... But dropping this phone was almost the same feeling I got when I dropped my Bike.... you know... that feeling of doom... Almost like a movie in slow motion... And me yelling Nooooooooo

I'm was just starting to get to know this Phone/Pda... I think its great! I can do quite a bit of stuff with it.... Movies, TV, Surff the web etc... Not to mention using it for Work... Instant e-mail from my Novell server to my phone, etc...

Oh well, Enough crying...

Maybe Verizon will surprise me and take care me???

Who knows... I was honest with them (about dropping it) it was just a short drop to a carpeted floor. Maybe they will replace?

Keep you posted....

Bob

jaderaven,

Thats funny,

You know thats the first thing that crossed my mind when I first dropped it...

How can I get out of this without telling them I dropped it.. Then my better half took over and thought I'd better just tell the truth...

Things will work out... I hope my boss does not dock my pay!! hehe

Tell them that you were not informed insurance was available.

Administrator
    never fails..

every new phone that comes out.. there will always be one person to post a " i dropped my phone thread..."

In the same boat - smiling now though

I cracked my phone two days after I got it. I did not have insurance at the time. I decided to call Verizon and explore my options. To my surprise, the customer service rep explained that I could add the insurance package up until 14 days after the date of purchase. I waited two days and then added the $5.99 inusurance. I called up insurance company and within 16 hours I had a new phone.

Verizon makes a commission off of the sale of insurance so they don't mind to promote it even if it is at the cost of the insurance company. Not sure if this scenario is within your reach but you may want to give it a try.
    ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
    -ReL

Re: In the same boat - smiling now though

The cell phone Gods must have a wicked sense of humor and love to toy with me!

I had a crack in the corner of one of my 6601s (and yes that is plural). Since it was never dropped and no damage to the body of the phone, the Sprint tech did agree with me that due to the location of the crack that it could have been a defect. So Sprint replaced it under warrenty not insurance.

Then after 6 weeks of waiting for my new phone (that is story for another thread) and within 12 hours of getting my new replacement phone on my doorstep this happened to me....(I know I shared this over at TC so I this is a double post sorry)....

I went to take my son to see the Winnie The Pooh's Heffalump Movie. On the way out to the car, he wanted to race...so we did. Half way to the car, my brand spanking new 6601 fell off my belt (I guess I didn't clip it on all the way), slammed on the pavement, the flap to my Proporta case then fell open as it slid face up along the parking lot. As luck would have it, the phone skidded right in front of my son (who of course was running) and he stepped on it and slid about two more feet on the phone!

Man of all the stinking luck, waiting so long, finally being so excited to have it back, just installed everything just right, and now I saw it all skidding away with my son riding it like a skateboard!

To my 3 yr old's credit, he stayed up and didn't fall. But I was scared to look at the phone.

When I picked it up and finally opened my eyes, the first thing I saw were 5 pin sized dents along the right hand side and just knew that as soon as I turned the screen on it would be a perfect spider web for a cracked screen.....but it did not!!!!!!!!!!!

This is either a true testimony that the 660x really is well built or that the extra protection the Proporta case offered during the initial impact was well worth the case.....or probably more true to the point a lot of both! (then I just praying cracks wouldn't creep across in the next day or so!)

At the time I was torn between returning the 6601 for the 6600 or not. So needless to say I don't think trying to upgrade a brand new day old dented phone would go over too well at the Sprint store, so my choice is made....I was sticking with the 6001.

That is until 5 days later a 6600, that I did NOT have on order, showed up on my door step!!!!!!

I did call and notify Sprint that I wanted to keep and the 6600 and return the 6601 (though I believe I failed to mention the dents) and asked for bubble kit. That was 3 weeks ago and still no return kit.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 03-10-2005 at 01:08 AM.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

It took Sprint 10 days to send me their flimsy bubble bag. I called 3 times and asked "are you sure you want me to put this $630 PPC in this stupid bag? The screen is gonna crak!!!!" They said "yes, put the phone, battery and charger, and keep the rest. We don't care if it cracks. The return label insures it."

I just found out they gave me full credit, but it took two weeks of fighting with CS to do it right.

Maybe if these PDA makers would put into the box a decent flip or other case that allows you to handle the phone without taking it out, then these things wouldn't happen. I hope the $20 they save is worth the repair costs racked up because people lose the handle on these inherently slippery devices.

Re: I want to Cry Dropped my phone today

Originally posted by Robertp039
    Hello Everyone....

Very Sad day... ...

Thanks
    Bob
    Bob,
    just sticking my nose into another forum here, as I like to peruse them all (I'm actually a 7135 user). Anyway I'm on verizion as well and familiar with your tale of woe. I've had Vzw csr's help get replacements for me (wife's phone) by adding insurance to the account first before filing a replacement claim. I think you've got some further justification to do this if they didn't inform you of the insurance options in the first place. Besides I'm sure you would have gotten insurance if you knew about it especially on a $500+ smartphone, I know I did.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Well mg, and Everyone else who was so kind to respond...

I'm still waiting for Verizon to call me back...

I'll take it from there after they tell me what they are going to do or not do...

Thanks for helping me make up my mind on how to handle this bad dream....

Bob

I am the POTIONS MAHHSTER!!! jaderaven's Avatar
    Originally posted by Robertp039
    jaderaven,

Thats funny,

You know thats the first thing that crossed my mind when I first dropped it...

How can I get out of this without telling them I dropped it.. Then my better half took over and thought I'd better just tell the truth...

Things will work out... I hope my boss does not dock my pay!! hehe
    Good for ya!!

I am glad to see you have stayed away from the dark side young Skywalker.

Well Verizon called me at work today and told me that I'm out of luck even though I was not told about the warrenty for 5.99 a month. Talked with the manager. He did offer to sell me the phone at cost for $550 to replace mine...

So I called about repairing it from one of the other posts and was told they dont have the LCD's they just have the touch screen. Sooo... I tried to find pc brothers or anyone on the internet that can repair these and came up short...

The Manager gave me the number to his boss which I'm not sure if I should go with this any further??? Or just buy a new one for the $550??

Thoughts??

Thanks again for all your help!!

Bob

If he offered the number to his boss....then only one of two things can happen:

1) He says no way. And you buy the phone as you would have done if you didn't call.

2) He overides the situation based on the fact that you were not even informed that a service such as the insurance existed (which IMHO is your strongest arguement).....and he gets you a new phone.

Either way, you are no worse off or better off....go for it.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Thanks for the quick reply... And yes I will call his Boss and see what happens....

Its been 2 days now without my phone and I still cant belive I dropped it! Boy I''m a bonehead..

Withdraw is setting in..

thanks
    Bob