+ Reply to Thread

Talking Fixed?? Does sprint reduce image resolution to save bandwidth?

Has anyone else noticed changed resolution in images when using the cell as a modem for their laptop? As a test while connected with a conventional connection, I viewed a page with a high resolution image, then saved the file (61kb). I disabled my connection, then connected using wmodem, refreshed the page (noticed the grainy image) then saved the file (22kb). I just changed over from Verizon (i700), and never observed this phenomenon. Is there any to prevent this sort of filtering?
    Last edited by slugabug; 05-27-2005 at 08:28 AM.

S and K
    Yes weve noticed it , and no we dont know how to reverse it.

However we would like to find out

S

Administrator
    no way you can change it...

vision highly compresses images and graphics due to bandwidth. the same applies to their air cards...

nothing you can do about it.. but on the aircards you can refresh the page and the image quality will increase... no go for phone data...

Fixed??

I'm not sure if this is new or not, but it seems that some images (specifically those with an ALT tag) now have a Shift-R option to clean up the compression issues we've all seen when using the 6601 as a modem for a laptop. Yeay!

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    nah sprint uses an invisible proxy for image compression and has since day1

sprint sells aircard service that doesnt have compression but thats to high end corporate customers only.
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

If you refresh the page the image gets better. This works on laptops and the pda phones. I do it often on my 6600. A coworker has a Treo650 and it works for him too.

Rich

Originally posted by skippyrq
    If you refresh the page the image gets better. This works on laptops and the pda phones. I do it often on my 6600. A coworker has a Treo650 and it works for him too.

Rich
    Absolutely correct. Refreshing the page tells the proxy to send you the full image.

If anyone wants proof, see my post here:

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...3&page=3&pp=15

Dan

Sickwidit
    I used to get around this by running my connection through a vpn tunnel. That way you can bypass the proxy but sending everything through a tunnel on the 6600 is a pain.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Until EV-DO gets here, it doesn't bother me one bit... I think it's actually a good thing because it means the damn page will load faster. 1xRTT combined with PIE feels slow enough as it is, and 99% of the time what I'm interested in is the text on the web page. I figure if I'm that desperate for an uncompressed image I just reload the page, and voila. It's the best of both worlds when putting up with slow-ass 1x speeds.

Dan