+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making Movies

Making Movies

Is there a way to rip a DVD movie faster to my 6600? I've tried using dvd to pocket pc, and it is really slow. Can I use DVDdecrypter to rip the DVD then use some other program to compress the .iso to about 150-250MB (mpg format or wmv)?
    Thanks

If speed is an issue this isn't going to help. But for the cheap way to get movies onto your pocket pc here's what I use, all free. I like the divx format, quality is good for the size.

Decrypter
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Encoder
    http://divx.ppccool.com/

Player
    http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

DVD Software Advice

I just wanted to get some opinions on the best software set to use for DVD encoding and viewing on the PPC6600. The last few days I’ve been trailing several products: Pocket DVD Studio, Pocket DVD Wizard 2005, and PocketDVD. Of those, Pocket DVD Studio has the nicest interface and might be my choice, but PocketDVD is the least expensive and actually lets me go beyond 5 minutes of recording in the trial. That brings up my first concern. When I recorded a whole movie (Napoleon Dynamite at 500MB using the highest encoding quality) and tried it on Betaplayer, which seems like a good player, I got an error message saying

“ATI I / IMAGEON: Out of video memory! Retry after soft-reset or choose a different video driver!”

At this point I can choose the GDI driver to get it to work, but my impression is that it isn’t quite as good as the default ATI one. Is this normal, and will I get it for all full movies beyond 5 minutes? So far, I’ve only seen it on this one movie recorded with PocketDVD, but I’m wondering if it’s a problem with that particular software or all large-scale MB movies.

That gets me to another point. Even at the highest quality and FPS, no matter what encoding software is used, the video is never really 100% smooth. It’s always just a bit choppier than normal DVD viewing – not really bad, but definitely noticeably choppier. Is it possible to get really good video the on the PPC6600 device? I had thought at 24 FPS it would be fairly smooth and almost unnoticeable, but so far I haven’t gotten it that good. Is smooth video possible even?

Really, I’m just looking for recommendations from folks on what software they’re using, what works out best, and what’s reasonable to expect on viewing videos. Thanks in advance.

I use DVDDecrypter with Auto-Gordian Knot (AutoGK) for excellent, smooth playing, 128kbps audio, feature length movies in 180-280 MB sizes.

It's still not fast - re-rendering an entire movie with any kind of quality takes a lot of CPU cycles.

I am the POTIONS MAHHSTER!!! jaderaven's Avatar

Re: DVD Software Advice

Originally posted by js0873
    I When I recorded a whole movie (Napoleon Dynamite at 500MB using the highest encoding quality) and tried it on Betaplayer, which seems like a good player, I got an error message saying

“ATI I / IMAGEON: Out of video memory! Retry after soft-reset or choose a different video driver!”
    Firstly check out this thread. It has lots of information on this topic. I did a prettry good review/set of instructions for using pocket DVD studio (which in most cases is my favorite to use).

I have gotten well over 80fps on my initial testing of the xv6600.

You should be able to get smooth video with no problem. I think we are blessed to have the ATI video chips in our phones. With my i700 I overclocked it to 600mhz routinely and could just barely get around 100fps. On the xv6600 at 400mhz it is easily geting 80fps and I believe has room for much much more.

I think your memory error and choppyness is part of the same issue. In betaplayer click on OPTIONS, then click on SETTINGS, then click on ATI IMAGEON. Make sure the checkbox for "Disable OS Bitmap Caching (advised) IS checked. I think this will help. Also I forgot to mention that I think you should use "BetaPlayer Version UNSTABLE.0.096. You will get better results with that one.

For the quick and easy:

1. Get Smart Ripper (rips your DVD to your hard drive, saving it as VOB files)
    2. Use Pocket Divx Encoder to read the VOB files on your hard drive and convert to MPEG 4 video
    3. Use Beta Player to play video on your pda (the best video player out there right now).

For free, it doesn't get much better or easier than that.

If you have audio sync issues with Pocket Divx Encoder, let me know and I can make some other recommendations.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

jaderaven, you seem to know a lot about this, so let me ask you a few questions. You mentioned that you have gotten well over 80fps on the xv6600. Excuse my ignorance, but how do you measure this? When I convert a DVD using Pocket DVD Studio the highest option I see is a setting of 24fps, and to be honest I don't really know how to measure the fps I'm getting after the fact. Can you help me out here?

I checked my setting in BetaPlayer and I do have the checkbox for "Disable OS Bitmap Caching (advised)" checked. However, I'm running version 0.5 vs. "BetaPlayer Version UNSTABLE.0.096". Will that version really make much difference? All in all, I've never gotten totally smooth video, but it would be wrong to say that it's bad. However, whatever I could do to get it smoother would certainly help. Are there any other suggestions?

In the past I used the stable version.... over time I found the unstable version to be better overall. It is possible that it has something to do with how the video was encoded to begin with. Just out of curriosity does the video play smoothly on your home computer? How big is the file... perhaps you could email it to me and I could try it on my 6600 and see if it runs choppy on mine as well? I am not sure what else could be causing your chopyness.

As for framerates... in betaplayer there is an option under the FILE menu called benchmark. If you click on this Betaplayer will run the video as fast as your processor can handle and then report back with a bunch of info. Give it a try.
    iPhone - AT&T
    Past phones:
    Samsung i700 -Verizon
    XV6600 - Verizon

jaderaven, the files i have right now are either about 15mb (done using Pocket DVD Studio for a 5 minute segment) or the large one at a little less than 600mb (a full movie, done under PocketDVD). I could zip and email the smaller one if you'd like, so let me know.

As for the benchmarking, I hadn't noticed that option before, so thanks. I benchmarked the large one and got a bench frame rate of 16.87, even though the original frame rate was 29.97. Then I benchmarked the smaller one and got a benchmark frame rate of 30.92, even though the original frame rate was 24. Both of these were done using the GDI driver. I switched to the ATI driver for the smaller one (since I can't use it on the larger one) and got a benchmark fps of 48.84. However, none of these are approaching the high fps rate, 80fps, you mentioned before, and I'd love to get something like that. Any ideas how to improve what I have?

Frame rate doesn't mean diddly, as the original movie was filmed at 24fps. Besides, you can reduce the final file size by encoding to less frames.

I have been using a ripper and MS Windows Media Encoder to do the the job in 2 steps, playback in native WMV on Windows Media Player. Works well, good file sizes, doesn't take too long. Fine by me for $0.00.

-BD

Originally posted by BrunDog
    Frame rate doesn't mean diddly, as the original movie was filmed at 24fps.
    -BD
    Frame rate is something to be concerned with. Especially in this case. His movie is encoded at 24fps, however, it is playing at 16fps. At that rate it WILL look choppy. Also to consider is that if his framerates are so low, when they should be higher, then that is indicatative of something wrong/slowing his phone down... which maybe causing choppy playback.

FWIW, I use pocket dvd studio all the time, usually compress movies to about 200-250mb and they view great with stable version of betaplayer.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Frame rate is only a useful comparison for the same file being played on 2 different systems. To compare between 2 PPCs playing 2 different files, you need to compare bitrate. Video bitrates can easily exceed 2000 kbps and your PPC will choke on that. To achieve framerates in the 100 fps range, the video's playback bitrate would need to be in the <500 kbps or so range.

Originally posted by Kupe
    Frame rate is only a useful comparison for the same file being played on 2 different systems. To compare between 2 PPCs playing 2 different files, you need to compare bitrate. Video bitrates can easily exceed 2000 kbps and your PPC will choke on that. To achieve framerates in the 100 fps range, the video's playback bitrate would need to be in the <500 kbps or so range.
    That is why I asked him to send me the file to play on my system.

All in all I believe his bitrate is too high... which would have caused choppy playback because betaplayer is trying to keep the video synced with the audio however, it can not render the video any higher that 16fps so it ends up dropping frames...hence the choppy playback.

Interstingly, when I get framerates around 100fps my bitrate is around 1000kbps... however I routingly encode for the PPC at rates between 200 and 500 max. And the movies play and look beatiful.
    Last edited by jaderaven; 03-20-2005 at 08:42 AM.

Originally posted by js0873
    jaderaven, the files i have right now are either about 15mb (done using Pocket DVD Studio for a 5 minute segment) or the large one at a little less than 600mb (a full movie, done under PocketDVD). I could zip and email the smaller one if you'd like, so let me know.

Send them to me... however you will have to enable your PM ability on this board so I can send you my email address.

If you encode at a particular framerate and it plays back at something lower, then yes, that is a problem.

But encoding at a lower, yet tolerable framerate is sensible as it will reduce the ultimate file size.

-BD

As one of the posters suggested, I'm trying DVD Decrypter and Pocket DivXEncoder. These look like great products, but I have a couple of questions. I tried decryping a a full movie, then encoding a few minutes of it, and then playing it back in Betaplayer. It plays really well, but I can't seem to use the slider bar to drag the movie forward or backward like I could with other encoded movies. Also, if I try to benchmark it in Betaplayer I get the following message:

"Video files (AVI,DIVX): Video and audio are not interleaved. This type of AVI file is not supported!"

I'm guessing that I must have some encoding setting wrong. Otherwise, possibly it's due to the fact that I only encoded a few minutes and then I manually stopped the encoding process to test the output. Basically, does anyone have an idea what's causing this message and the fact that I can't use the slider bar to move within the movie?

PocketMVP doesn't have a benchmark so I can't test that part. It might just be that the benchmarking of betaplayer isn't setup for non-interleaved video. Someone with more knowledge of betaplayer should answer this.

Also with pocketmvp I can slide the bar but it pauses the movie until I hit play again. I have seen certain divx encoded movies break windows media player where you can't slide the bar. This might be the same symptom on betaplayer.

Unfortunately I can't get to the beta player site so I've never tried it. Every time I try this link the operation times out.

http://betaplayer.corecodec.org/
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Seems the betaplayer site was down for a while, but just clicked your link and it came right up.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G