+ Reply to Thread

Question Reconfigure Speed Dial Page?

Has anyone seen a way to reconfigure the Speed Dial Page?

I would like to have it with more buttons and less text descriptions.

My wife has a shortcut screen on her treo 600. She can make buttons with text on them. I would think we could fit at least 20 "Thumb Size" buttons on a single screen.

Maybe there is a way to reassign the Speed Dial button to point to another application.

Thanks...Brad
    Sprint PPC-6700

I agree. With my i500 i would just enter the speed dial number and then press talk.. .. you can't do this with the 6600..
    Just remember, You can love your phone but you can't LOVE your phone.

Potala Telly is a phone application for ppcphones. It has a better speed dial page. Do a search on the forum for it.
    Jeremiah 29:11

I just noticed something annoying along these lines..

I was able to dial 1 and have it access my voicemail.. Now I had to hit speed dial and then 1..

grrrr. annoying.

OK, since we are beefing about speed dial, the thing that drives me crazy is its the only thing I can't seem to rebuild quickly after a hard reset (assuming I dont want to restore, like after a firware upgrade).

Following a hard reset, I can get my apps reinstalled fast, get my data sync'ed, but I have to manually redo my speed dial list.

I've had to do this enough times that I have almost given up on Speed Dial.

Anyone know how to save your speed dial info separatly so it can be easily restored, without needing to restore the entire device?

Potala Telly

I looked at Potala Telly. It looks interesting but I'm wondering if the issues have been fixed. I saw the developer was posting here but stopped about a month ago.

Any thoughts or should I suck it up and be the test case?

...Brad
    Sprint PPC-6700

Ok maybe im wrong about what your lookin for .......
    But say I set 5 on my fone to speed dial home for me if u pull up the dialer page and hold the 5 button(the 5 on the screen) doesnt it dial home for u. Of coure if i set it for 99 then press 99 holding the 9 on the second one u know like old school. Or do u do it faster then the 2 or 3 button presses most times i have to wake my fone anyway so thats one press somewere ,then call werk hold the 6 and bingo driven down the interstate doin 70 talkin on the fone and listening thru the car stereo never even took my eyes off the rode !(and then use the side button for media and turn my audio book back on lol )

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    The speed dial and call log are saved by sprite backup and be restored by themselves with nothing else if you like.

Ehud

For speed dial, if you dial using the on-screen-display in the main phone app and hold down the last digit, it will dial. This doesn't work with the keyboard, because of key repeat.

So to get your voice mail, press and hold 1 on the OSD. To dial speed dial 10, enter 10 and hold down the 0 when you enter it.
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

ill have to give it a try....

i use d9 which gives you about 16 speed dial entries. it's freeware.

I cant believe that there aren't more dialers out there for PPC phone edition. Seems like a good market would be there.

The included dialer is horrible, lacking in too many ways. For example, would it be so bad to show the number of the contact you are connected to under the name of the contact? Sometimes I like to look at the number to see what line the person is on (landline, mobile, etc.). Obviously it shows when it rings, but still...

All that screen space, and all that CPU power! Everything should be slammin' maxed out with coolness. Not sum watered down afterthought like we got.

-BD

Bluetooth headset enabled dialer

I have read on different topics on this forum how dialing and bluetooth headset don't work too well. I have the M3000 and when I hit the activate button twice, the 6600 automatically dials the last number. What I would like to see is if I hit the activate button twice, I want it to activate MS Voice Command and if that fails go to the dialer. Does this type of an application exist?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

Re: Bluetooth headset enabled dialer

Originally posted by itsme
    I have read on
    Apparently not.

different topics on this forum how dialing and bluetooth headset don't work too well.
    AT ALL. AT ALL. Not "too well". NOT AT ALL. That's covered in the FAQ and 10+ other threads (I quit counting).

I have the M3000 and when I hit the activate button twice, the 6600 automatically dials the last number. What I would like to see is if I hit the activate button twice, I want it to activate MS Voice Command and if that fails go to the dialer. Does this type of an application exist?
    Why don't you read the FAQ, or the many threads that answer this.

Sure, you've been on this forum for a whole 5 days, so you're not a newbie, so use SEARCH.

Ehud

Post Speed Dial

I do use the speed dial as described above. Hold the button and it dials...Well Sometimes.

In the car it often doesn't take the first time if you don't hit it just right. I tend to try and use my fingernail to hit the button. But if it doesn't take I have to hit "End" then try again. The cold weather seems to make it worse.

If I could hit the "Speed Dial" Key and get a page of buttons, I think this would be more reliable.

I do have MS Voice Command which works well, unless your using bluetooth, but I'm looking for more options (maybe I'm too picky) but, as noted above, it seems that a phone with the horsepower of this one could easily handle more goodies like this.

We'll see how it goes...Brad
    Sprint PPC-6700

Ehud,
    My apologizes, but I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying bluetooth and voice command (VC) combo doesn't work at all? If so, I found the below thread which tells you the work around:

Microsoft Voice Command (Beware)

Its a pretty silly work around, having to hit the VC button on the PDA. Although at the bottom of the linked page, elcamino was able to get VC to work kinda of the way I want....

I thought in this thread we were talking about better dialers, so I went slightly off topic and added my 2 cents worth on additional fuctionality a dialer should have.

Sorry for wasting your time. Please know that its not my intent to abuse this board, and in fact not only have I asked question (mostly basic) but have also answered one and will answer more as I learn more.

Anyway, I'm hijacking this thread which is not a nice thing, so I'll go post my question in a more appropriate thread and go get the 'do a search darn it' answer somewhere else. Thx

Originally posted by crash
    i use d9 which gives you about 16 speed dial entries. it's freeware.
    I heard that d9 is an awesome app.. I wonder if there is a way to get this to display when you hit the phone button..

Originally posted by itsme
    Anyway, I'm hijacking this thread which is not a nice thing, so I'll go post my question in a more appropriate thread and go get the 'do a search darn it' answer somewhere else. Thx
    I'll assist the hijack--I do it all the time anyway....

I think it matters what the BT device is. On my car equipped with BT, I hit the VC button, say the command into the 6600, it dials and sends it to the car phone. If the two aren't already "linked", it forces the link to occur (there can be a delay). Sounds like some of the headsets don't take the link up forcibly.
    Jeremiah 29:11

D9

Well I tried D9. It seems to work as advertised. But I did not see how to use it as a speed dial.

I actually don't want another way to lookup contacts but a way to get a screen full of buttons that I can set to call specific numbers (maybe sms would be nice).

As for VC with bluetooth, (hijacking my own thread) I have looked at other threads but have yet to find a solution to using the BT headset to speak commands into. If I yell at the phone across the car it can sometimes work. It does tranfer to the BT Headset as soon as the call starts. I generally use my wired speaker phone in the car so It VC works fine.

back on topic...I just think it would be handy to have 20 or so predefined phone numbers to be one click away.

Thanks...Brad
    Sprint PPC-6700

yep the treo 650 speed dial page is much, much better.....
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600