+ Reply to Thread

Dumb caller ID question

I'm sure this is something very easy, but I cannot seem to find the answer (perhaps my crash helmet is on too tight?)

When my phone (XV6600 Verizon) rings, the number is displayed, but I never see a name. If I look in call history the calls are listed with names.

How do I get this thing to show me the name of the person calling when I have than info in my contact list?

Thanks!

Photo Contacts -shows pictures and can set ringtones as well
    http://anything.leitches.com/PhotoContacts%20v1.20.CAB

See this thread for the discussion
    Multiple Ringtones?
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Re: Dumb caller ID question

Originally posted by willp2
    I'm sure this is something very easy, but I cannot seem to find the answer (perhaps my crash helmet is on too tight?)

When my phone (XV6600 Verizon) rings, the number is displayed, but I never see a name. If I look in call history the calls are listed with names.

How do I get this thing to show me the name of the person calling when I have than info in my contact list?

Thanks!
    It will come up, you just have to give it a minute, especially if you have a lot of contacts.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Yeah, it'll show up quicker the fewer contacts you have. How many we talking about?

Also, does your caller ID display the same as the way that your numbers are entered in Outlook? (ie - are your numbers entered as 1-123-555-1234, and the CallerID shows as 123-555-1234?).
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Thanks for the replies.

I have about 135 contacts, which I don’t think is an obscene amount. The names have never shown up no matter how long I wait. I as soon as the call goes to voicemail I look in call history and the name is there.

And the number format is sometimes different and sometimes the same. For instance, on local numbers a 1 is added before the number. I tried changing some of my contacts to match that format and it makes no difference.

I had a PDA2K which is the GSM version of this phone before this and caller id worked just like you’d think it should, so I assumed I just didn’t have a switch turned on somewhere.

Thanks,
    -Will

Figured it out.

I am using Goodlink, which replaces the default contact manager. For some reason the call history thing can use the Good contact list, but caller ID can't.

So I went ahead and sync'ed the built in contact list, soft booted and it finally works.

Funny thing was I had this setup the same way on the PDA2K and it worked.

Thanks for the feedback and comments!

Originally posted by willp2
    Figured it out.

I am using Goodlink, which replaces the default contact manager. For some reason the call history thing can use the Good contact list, but caller ID can't.

So I went ahead and sync'ed the built in contact list, soft booted and it finally works.

Funny thing was I had this setup the same way on the PDA2K and it worked.

Thanks for the feedback and comments!
    Goodlink doesn't replace it, but rather hides it. If you pick a theme that isn't the Goodlink theme, you'll see all your non-Goodlink email/contacts/calendar.

This is good for me, since I have about 6 non-exchange accounts I have to check, and the Good address book is pretty anemic compared to the default one on my PPC 6600
    John C. Welch Writer/Analyst
    Bynkii.com Mac and other opinions
    jwelch@bynkii.com

Originally posted by bynkii
    Goodlink doesn't replace it, but rather hides it. If you pick a theme that isn't the Goodlink theme, you'll see all your non-Goodlink email/contacts/calendar.
    Yes, I'm aware of that, as that was the how I got around the problem I was having.

What I meant by "replace" is that when you install Goodlink, it more or less becomes the default contact manager and it turns off syncing to the built in contact manager. In effect replacing the functionality. Yes the program was still there, and all I needed to do was re-enable syncing to the built in contact list to get around the problem.