+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

HOWTO: Restoring from Sprite Backup

It seems simple enough. You make bad things happen to your PPC, and you figure you'll just restore from a backup. You set it to be a self-executing archive, and that should be that.

Trouble is, after you restore, sometimes, it's not quite how it was before.

The reason for is that some files are stored in ROM, and those are not backed up. Some settings are stored in that same ROM and are not backed up. When you do a restore changes to those files are not restored.

Depending on the circumstances a plain restore MAY work, but if it doesn't:

Therefore, here is the procedure which works 100% of the time:
    1. Hard reset. SET FLIGHT MODE AS SOON AS YOU CAN. (This prevents calls and SMSs from showing up before you restore the previous call log and mail folders)

2. Set the clock time and date to the correct time and date. (It's no longer September 2004).

3. Set your permanent-save settings to what they used to be before the hard reset. (settings -> system -> permanent save)

4. Set your button lock setting to what it used to be before the hard reset. (settings -> system -> button lock)

5. Add the "File Explorer" to your menu. (settings -> personal -> menus. Uncheck something. Check file explorer).

6. Using file explorer find the backup file and execute it.

7. After the soft reset, there are still things you need to add that were lost:
    (a) Wireless sync account password
    (b) IMAP/POP3 account passwords
    You can add these simply by executing a mail check on each, and then entering in the password.

That's it. Hope that helps someone.

Ehud

Excellent. Should be a FAQ.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Speaking of the Wireless Sync password, since I can't seem to find this anywhere...

Who is my elusive administrator that's going to allow my to do Wireless Sync Backups? Or... is that option just on the phone and not part of Verizon's service? (Couldn't find anything about it on their site, faq there, and a search here didn't turn up anything interesting... only someone posting in a wireless sync issue thread that said, "let me backup..." and proceeded to restate themself.

After another hard reset earlier today (device locked up - power button didn't do anything, call/hang up button... nothing... leds no longer flash, and the screen is unresponsive - unclick the battery latch and re-latch...

Attempt to turn the power back on - nothing. Play with the battery switch again - nothing.

Undo the latch, pull off the battery, put it back on, close the latch, hard reset :rolleyes

It's really getting to be a problem.

I've got one contact who's information (i.e. phone number) I got about 2 weeks ago - then had 2 hard resets before I got home... then he called me tonight, and I told him I'd call him in the morning, and... well... of course I've lost the number again.

It's more than mildly frustrating...
    @#$@ upgrades... now I gotta write a new poem :rolleyes:
    <a href="http://www.deviantart.com/view/8708895/">My I-700 makes YOUR phone look like poo.</a>

Re: HOWTO: Restoring from Sprite Backup

Originally posted by Ehud
    It seems simple enough. You make bad things happen to your PPC, and you figure you'll just restore from a backup. You set it to be a self-executing archive, and that should be that.

Trouble is, after you restore, sometimes, it's not quite how it was before.

The reason for is that some files are stored in ROM, and those are not backed up. Some settings are stored in that same ROM and are not backed up. When you do a restore changes to those files are not restored.

Depending on the circumstances a plain restore MAY work, but if it doesn't:

Therefore, here is the procedure which works 100% of the time:
    1. Hard reset. SET FLIGHT MODE AS SOON AS YOU CAN. (This prevents calls and SMSs from showing up before you restore the previous call log and mail folders)

2. Set the clock time and date to the correct time and date. (It's no longer September 2004).

3. Set your permanent-save settings to what they used to be before the hard reset. (settings -> system -> permanent save)

4. Set your button lock setting to what it used to be before the hard reset. (settings -> system -> button lock)

5. Add the "File Explorer" to your menu. (settings -> personal -> menus. Uncheck something. Check file explorer).

6. Using file explorer find the backup file and execute it.

7. After the soft reset, there are still things you need to add that were lost:
    (a) Wireless sync account password
    You can add these simply by executing a mail check on each, and then entering in the password.

That's it. Hope that helps someone.

Ehud
    Salted this away for my next disaster. Thanks, E.

Bob Duckworth

Very helpful. I use the Sunnysoft Backup manager which is a cheaper app though more complex. I have not had problems with it using manual settings, but I do all my backups after a soft reset.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Re: HOWTO: Restoring from Sprite Backup

I just finished the above procedure yesterday morning and didn't have to enter my IMAP/POP3 passwords. Lucky, I guess,
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

It only hurts at first... Jeremy McCreary's Avatar
    Haven't gotten there yet, but it can't be far off. Thanks for writing it up.
    xv6600 (verizon) | still a great PDA even with a dead radio (in hardware) | sure hope the xv6800 fairy comes soon...