+ Reply to Thread

Question File Explorer access to network files

I'm using a Socket WiFi card in my PPC-6600 to access network resources - printers and files. I can go into File Explorer and tap the "Network Share" icon, type the network path, i.e. \\server\cdrive and access everything on the network.

I've noticed that I can see the files, copy them, paste them, rename them... all that works great, but I can't OPEN the files. For example, I can pull up the 10MB+ of mp3 files on my server, but tapping an mp3 file does nothing - won't open it in WMP. I can copy it to local storage and open it from there, but not from where it resides on the server. It'd be great to open all that stuff without moving it - like adding a half a terabyte disk drive to the phone Is there any way to do that?

Thanks,
    Tim

Sickwidit
    The built in file explorer cannot open network files, for that you will need a third party network browser like Resco File Explorer $$$ or some freeware version like netuse or pocketlan
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Originally posted by that_kid
    The built in file explorer cannot open network files, for that you will need a third party network browser like Resco File Explorer $$$ or some freeware version like netuse or pocketlan
    You people and your willingness to flip money for tools you don't need blows my mind.

See this thread:

Registry Edits Hints and Finds

· How to access Network shares through Pocket Explorer.

In order to see the Network folder you can download a third party tool like Resco Explorer, which will cost you, or you can do a simple registry edit.

Backup your Pocket PC before playing with the registry. This is good practice in case anything goes wrong.

To make the Network visible :
    1. open registry editor on your Pocket PC.
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\REDIR
    3. Open RegisterFSBoot and change the DWORD value to 1.
    4. Close registry editor and soft reset the device. thats it!

btf

lol, bfaber. Not all people are "software engineers" like you.

Does your procedure above makes files execute when clicked with File explorer? Resco does it with no registry edit.

Besides, your procedure still needs a good registry editor, and what is better than Resco suite?

Sickwidit
    LOL, There are tons of mods like that and like Tony said you still need a good registry editior(I do know of some great free ones).
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Will total commander (free) open these as well?

PHM reg edit is a great free registry editor as well. Download the cab file, not the installer.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks, everyone... I'll try the registry tweak first.

Tim

OK, on my PPC-6600 there was no key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\REDIR. I searched the entire registry and there was no REDIR anywhere. I added the key and RegisterFSBoot DWORD, reset the PPC, but it had no effect. Can someone who has done this already please backup the required registry entries and e-mail them to me? Just PM me for the address.

Much appreciated!
    Tim

Originally posted by TonyH
    lol, bfaber. Not all people are "software engineers" like you.

Does your procedure above makes files execute when clicked with File explorer? Resco does it with no registry edit.

Besides, your procedure still needs a good registry editor, and what is better than Resco suite?
    Should I point out a free registry editor now too?

I'm just cheap and not willing to spend money for other free tools.

Mostly its just me being cheap, though I admit many do like Resco's stuff.

btf

Originally posted by tmartin31
    OK, on my PPC-6600 there was no key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\REDIR. I searched the entire registry and there was no REDIR anywhere. I added the key and RegisterFSBoot DWORD, reset the PPC, but it had no effect. Can someone who has done this already please backup the required registry entries and e-mail them to me? Just PM me for the address.

Much appreciated!
    Tim
    Hmm.. I'lllll be damned you're right.

I just quoted from the registry tweaks thread.

I'll have to dig.. until then check out some other references on this thread or buy resco.

(Every time I'm a smartass, I'm inevitably wrong... funny how that works out).

btf