+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I would pay good jingle for this SMS mod

Seriously to any developers:

I receive SMS messages as pages which in the body of the messages (not the sender) contain a ten digit phone number in them for me to call. Currently, I have to either memorize or write the number down then dial it manually, or take out the stylus, highlight the number, select Edit... Copy, then switch to the phone app, then hit Edit...Paste, then Talk.

What I would love and would pay $$ for would be a mod or replacement for SMS which would scan for phone numbers in the message and provide a way to dial it directly. Just like in contacts, it should show as a link that when clicked opens the dialer and starts the call.

Any takers? I am a fairly novice VB coder (and I only really know VB6 at that, not VB.NET), plus the APIs for smartphone are VC.NET, so the time it would take me would cost much more that hiring someone.

-BD

how much?

Seriously, I was thinking about doing an SMS mod...

Are you thinking about something like the Treo has, where the phone number that sent it or any phone number in the message is shown as a link that you can just tap and have it call?

Yeah, that would be great in my new line of work. I'm now a realtor, and having Supra eKey transmit SMS with clickable agent phone numbers would be great.

How much?

I don't know what Brunedog would pay but my most expensive app is $29.95.

I am the POTIONS MAHHSTER!!! jaderaven's Avatar
    I have a solution... want me to share it with ya? How much will you pay.
    iPhone - AT&T
    Past phones:
    Samsung i700 -Verizon
    XV6600 - Verizon

It is very simple to impliment as well.
    iPhone - AT&T
    Past phones:
    Samsung i700 -Verizon
    XV6600 - Verizon

It is actually a part of the OS.
    iPhone - AT&T
    Past phones:
    Samsung i700 -Verizon
    XV6600 - Verizon

Originally posted by RICoder
    how much?

Seriously, I was thinking about doing an SMS mod...

Are you thinking about something like the Treo has, where the phone number that sent it or any phone number in the message is shown as a link that you can just tap and have it call?
    Exactly. You said it better than I did.

I would pay or share the cost with others accodring the the amount of work required at a fair labor rate. Naturally if someone wants a labor rate of $50/hr and it will take 20 hours than that is a little out of my ballpark.

-BD

Ok then. Here is the solution... it will not take hours of work... and of course I share it as always with everyone here FREELY.

Whenever anyone sends you an SMS message with their phone number in it, it must be formated in one of the following ways:

tel:xxxxxxxxxx or tel:(xxx) xxx-xxxx. For example

tel:5551235678 or tel:(555)123-5678

the key is the word "tel:". There must not be a space between the ":" and the number. There must be a space after the last number. Also, the "T" in "tel:" can be capitalize or not.

Whenever windows mobile sees this format it makes it a hot link and passes the number to the dialer.
    iPhone - AT&T
    Past phones:
    Samsung i700 -Verizon
    XV6600 - Verizon

I just downloaded TapText from DinarSoft, which gives you a multitude of one touch text entry options. You could program your signature with the format above and enter it to every sms you send. You can also use the "my text" at the bottom for a free option.

Great find jaderaven! (don't you need to change your avatar now? )
    Jeremiah 29:11

Originally posted by mwfielder

Actually I posted this solution a while back in the i700 forum... a search I am sure would have found it.

Unfortunately I am STILL struggling to get an 6600 WITH camera. I hear they will officially be available on Monday... we will see!
    Last edited by jaderaven; 03-11-2005 at 09:00 AM.

Hope you get it soon---I want to see how fast you can get it to clock!

The "base" model really does run well at it's current speed--I haven't even tried superdave's autostep on the device yet.

PPC6600 ROM=1.36.00 Ext=1.36.113 MannieBothans's Avatar
    I just downloaded TapText from DinarSoft, which gives you a multitude of one touch text entry options. You could program your signature with the format above and enter it to every sms you send. You can also use the "my text" at the bottom for a free option.

Pardon my dense-ness, but how would using the my text or taptext when inserting your signature help the phone be able to dial a number that you received that was not properly formatted by the sender of the message?
    Just switched from PPC6700 to AT&T Tilt.

Originally posted by MannieBothans

Pardon my dense-ness, but how would using the my text or taptext when inserting your signature help the phone be able to dial a number that you received that was not properly formatted by the sender of the message?
    You are right... as far as I can see putting your phone number in the signature of outgoing sms messages would help others (with PPC's) call you back.

Hope you get it soon---I want to see how fast you can get it to clock!

The "base" model really does run well at it's current speed--I haven't even tried superdave's autostep on the device yet.
    I have been wanting to OC/benchmark the 6600 for a while. It has a more advanced processor than the i700 it should have more potential.

jaderaven: Solid tip. I owe you! I have searched but have come up with nothing on this, so perhaps my terms were no good...

In any event, here is the catch: i get the pages from a call center which uses software to send the messages. The messages look like:

2200/DEBBIE LEITER/XYZ CORPORATION/(321)555-1212/RE FOLLOW UP ON MEETING RESULTS

There is no way to have the sender software put the "tel:" in front of the message, as far as I know (I'll check), so my SMS needs to be a little more proactive.

I realize this doesn't seem like a big deal, but I receive upwards of 20 of these a day.

-BD

Originally posted by MannieBothans

Sorry, that is to help the recipient to send it back to you--I assumed you're playing the sms phone tag. If the sender is using a regular cell phone instead of a pdaphone or pc/email, then you wouldn't be able to do it.

However, that brings up another question---I get sms from time to time from people with regular cell phones, and I can reply right back (by hitting the reply button). I take it you are not able to do this?

***edit--I'm so dense. I thought you wanted to sms and not place a call. Yeah, I'd love that as well. I do phone number searches to Google SMS, and the reply comes back with the number. But I have to Voice Command the number--it would be nice to click on it.
    Last edited by mwfielder; 03-11-2005 at 09:28 AM.

Originally posted by BrunDog

2200/DEBBIE LEITER/XYZ CORPORATION/(321)555-1212/RE FOLLOW UP ON MEETING RESULTS
    The "RE" field seems to be a free form field... am I assuming correctly? If so someone has to type in information in that field... In your example the information says "FOLLOW UP ON MEETING RESULTS". Perhaps the person who is typing that in could add "TEL:(321)555-1212. Or if there are not enough characters available in that field perhaps they could just put the phone number again with out the "follow up on meeting" part??

Originally posted by BrunDog
    Exactly. You said it better than I did.

I would pay or share the cost with others accodring the the amount of work required at a fair labor rate. Naturally if someone wants a labor rate of $50/hr and it will take 20 hours than that is a little out of my ballpark.

-BD
    Well, to pay a half-way competent person to do anything is never cheap.

However, keep in mind that if you go this route, you OWN the result, and have the right to re-sell it to re-coup your monetary investment in paying someone to develope the app. $50x20=$1000, but if you could then sell 1000 copies for $5/pop, you'd be up $4,000.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

I'm glad others see it my way.

1. We need a solid SMS application.
    http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ers#post306238

2. We need an application that parses out phone numbers to avoid cut/pasting.
    http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ers#post307323
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

I'd love to see what everyone is talking about. In the meantime, I've just fired up the MS Voice Command and tell it to Dial the number I see. Tricky while driving, but gets the job done.