+ Reply to Thread

Cool DUN using 6600/Blue Tooth/Sprint PCS - Help!

OK, so I just got my 6600 and like all of you, I love it too! I've pretty much got everything up and running, ActiveSync over WWW to my Exchange 2003 Server is probably the best damn thing I've seen since sliced bread! Always Up to Date rocks! But the one thing I am having trouble getting to work is getting my laptop to use my 6600 as a modem to connect to Sprint PCS's network. Obviously you can't call them for support, but I was hoping you guys could halp!?

Thanks in advance!
    -Dmackdaddy

My Bluetooth is built in!
    FAQ for the xv6600/PPC-660x

How do I set up Dialup Networking of Laptop over Bluetooth?

-- See Links under Dialup Networking for USB too, some info applies.
    -- PPC-6601: You must apply a one of the patches first.
    -- VZ6600: No Patches needed
    -- For MAC See http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...threadid=40247

-- 1) Establish a bluetooth link with your PC for ActiveSync
    -- 2) Once that happens the PC should detect a bluetooth Modem
    -- 3) Goto to NetWork Connections.
    -- 4) Create New Connection
    -- 5) Choose the Bluetooth Modem
    -- 6) Skip User Name and Password
    -- 7) Use phone #777
    -- Connect
    -- 9) Phone (by default) should prompt for permission
    -- 10) Choose Accept.
    This is an ok description of how to do it. With my ppc-6600 once i established the activesync connection I could go to my bluetooth places on the laptop and select the DUN application (not network connections).

The bluetooth dun connection has worked very well for me so far. My only complaint is that I cant use the top right hand button to power off the screen without disconnecting the DUN connection. This mean I cant put the ppc-6600 in my pocket while im using it for DUN, very annoying. Does anyone know how I can power off the screen while maintaining the DUN connection?
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

Yeah, I can get DUN to ask my 6600 to ALLOW or DENY when dialing #777 (no user/passwd) and I click ALLOW and it goes thru the motions, but it never actually connects. If I go to Blue Tooth Connection Status, it shows DUN going thru the motions of connecting with packets sent and rec. showing, but it never fully connects. Am I missing something? I patched my 6600 to the lates firmware that was posted in this forum last night and still nada.

Thanks!

My Bluetooth is built in!
    that I dont know how to fix, my unpatched right out of the box ppc-6600 worked perfectly. Hopefully someone else can offer some insight.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

Lightbulb

make sure bluetooth is active on the phone.
    activate your pc's built in widows xp bluetooth manager, and search for devices.
    it should find 2 devices for your phone, bluetooth modem com9 & bluetooth serial adapter, check the box for modem, you must enter a passkey.
    windows detects and installs modem.
    create a new dun using bluetooth modem, dialing #777 and no user or password.
    double click on dun icon, click dial, press accept on phone and your online.

I get an error 777 (which says my modem is out of order) from the DUN box on my XP machine. It's like 99% up and running, just need that last push where they authenticate!
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

All I did was enabled the WModem on the 6600 and choose the bluetooth if your using bluetooth. Then I opened the Bluetooth on the Tablet and clicked on search. It found my 6600 and set it up as a Modem and once it finished I clicked on the setup with #777 to dial and the User / Password blank and it connected and works great for on the road access to email and web pages.

Running WModem is optional for BlueTooth (for USB it's required).

WModem is worth a try though.

I do know one thing, if anything goes wrong sometimes you have to reboot the PC or PPC or both to get it all working.

Also is the PC running SP2 and are you using the SP2 Bluetooth stack?

If you are running SP2 and it's failing try clearing out EVERYTHING. Delete bluetooth hardware device drivers etc. All COM ports (see FAQ). Then let XP do it's thing on reboot. I've sen it just not behave and just reset up and work. Sorry if you do all this work and it doesn't help. But I have done it and it resolved problems I can't explain.

P.S. Some folks like a recent BroadComm stack on the PC over the SP2 Stack from MicroSoft. But I know SP2 stack works for DUN with this phone.
    Last edited by mswlogo; 03-11-2005 at 07:23 PM.

I know, it's pretty straight fwd, but it still won't connect! Pisses me off, cause this is one of the major reasons I got this rig, so I can do oncall OPS stuff using my laptop and the 6600. I've been doing it via my Samsun a680 phone and the Sprint connection program for over a year and now I can't do it with this phone. I'm sure its just a check box or somthing stupid, but at this point I've done it over and over 5 times and still wont authenticate. Anyone else have some more tricks? I enabled the WModem and selected Blue Tooth and same thing, didn't work.

Thanks!

I'm running:

ppc 6600
    laptop and desktop (tried 2 machines) both XP SP2
    Kensington blue tooth USB Adapter
    Sprint PCS service (which works fine on the 6600)
    Last edited by dmackdaddy; 03-11-2005 at 08:09 PM.

Two Things
    Sometimes I need to put a username and password in. Its different for verizon but you can call CS and find out what its supposed to be for sprint.(Just say you had to reset your phone and in the connections window your username and password were wiped out) Or maybe someone on the board knows. For verizon its
    username:<yourphonenumber>@vzw.com
    password:vzw

Also sometimes my data connection stopped me from using the bluetooth connection. Hold down the red phone button for 2 seconds and the white arrows should go away. Try connecting then.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I don't know if this is related. I had no problems BEFORE the rom upgrade.

I hadn't tried it AFTER the rom upgrade until now. It sits at the "verifying username and password" setting for a while and then fails.

tellingly, upgrading to the 3900 stack "removes" this "problem".

Comments?

Ehud

OK, I got it to work!!! Here's what you NEED to make sure you got checked for it to work.

Go to Blue Tooth Settings
    Services
    Dial Up Networking
    Make sure the only thing checked is:
    [X] Enable service
    The other 3 should be unchecked as the Autorization is done by the phone, the Passkey is already done when paring the device and encryption not needed.

Then I just dialed #777 with no user or password and it beautifully connected at 115kbps.

Sick! Now I can enjoy my oncall weekend!!!

Thanks guys, this forum rules!
    -dmack

I had this issue before and after I upgraded to the latest firmware - so it doesn't seem to be realted. I upgraded last night hoping this would take care of it, but it didn't. It was just the above mentioned.
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking

The FAQ says a "patch" is needed to get BT DUN working? What patch would that be? Can't there be a link to it on the FAQ BT DUN section?

I have Build 3500 pre-installed on my PPC-6601----do I need the patch?

My Tosh Tablet with BT does not recognize a BT modem once paired--any hints out there?

BT Dialup on PPC-6601-success!

I did not need any patch to get my BT Dial-up working with my Tosh M200 tablet with internal BT.

My problem was I was trying to set it up manually and it would not let me....so when I let the Tablet BT settings manager automatically connect to the PPC-6601, it detected the Modem and configured it properly and now it always shows as an option when making new dial-up connections (in addition to the Tosh V.90 modem).

Again no patch was needed as the FAQ sticky mentions (I have BT build 3500)

HTH.