+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Problem emailing attachments

I've tried and tried but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have set up three gmail accounts on my PPC6600 and all three will send and receive messages but if I attach a picture (or any attachment) I get the message:

The message could not be sent. Check that you have network coverage and that your account information is correct. Then try sending again.

If I remove the attachment (just an 80K picture) it will send fine.
    Any thoughts? (I tried to find the answer in the forums but came up emtpy). Thanks in advance!

i noticed that I can't even send an audio recording made in Outlook on the ppc itself.
    I have tried like a dozen times...... no success
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

I have the 6600 and have three email accounts on the phone and just emailed a 421k video attachment with no problem.

But are they GMAIL accounts?

No GMAIL accounts just regular accounts.

I am able to send an attachment through outlook and yahoo but not gmail. I didn't get an error but it never showed up on the receiving email.

New Info: I see the email in my sent items on the gmail website. I didn't see it in the inbox I sent it to though. On the website I do see the attachment. I'll need to do more digging.

Final Info: I sent a picture to hotmail and it ended up in my junkmail folder. I just tried it to excite and that worked. Ergo I was able to send a picture attachment from gmail.

Really the final edit: I sent a cab file as well that was 127kb in size just in case it was a size issue and it still sent.
    Last edited by IvanLasston; 03-13-2005 at 02:07 AM.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

I am gonna post a new response because editing does not bump the thread. Anyway to summarize, I have a Verizon XV6600 with gmail setup directly on the phone. I was able to send over wireless an email with an attachment. I sent two files. One was a 4k picture. The other was a 127k theme file. Both were sent and recevied. The only hiccup was my hotmail account detected the picture as junk mail. So after I marked that account as not junk mail, all email showed up in the right place.

What do you have set as the outgoing server?

I have smtp.gmail.com:465

Some people including gmail say either 465 or 587 will work but I've never used 587.

I also have outgoing email server requires authentication and require ssl.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Thanks for the suggestions. I did not have the :465 at the end of my outgoing but I do not think that is having any effect. I've toggled every setting I can think of and nothing works. I searched the Gmail help site and it appears other people are having the same problem.

Strange thing is, I did get one picture to go through. The next time I tried though, same problem. I can write an email and add attachment and it wont sent. If I just delete the attachment, it sends.

Maybe it's a timeout issue. I'll continue trying. Please keep the help coming. My fiancee just got this phone too and is having the same problem.

Conspircay theorist in me wants to say Sprint is blocking emails with pictures to force you into Picture Mail for $5/month.

I don't think Sprint is blocking emails because I send out video and pictures as attachments, but I'm not using GMail. I think its with the GMail that's causing this issue with not sending attachments.

I know Sprint is not blocking email. Just a joke.

Well I got my fiancee's phone sending attachments. I think my problem is that I have it set to timeout too early. But I can't remember where that was. I"ve been searching for 30 minutes. Any ideas?

I do not even have a gmail account....... I am talking about 2 diferent POP3 accounts that I use all the time on my device....... one is Verizon and the other Comcast..... can't email an attachment.
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

6601 cannot email attachments

I have NEVER been able to send an attachment through my POP3 account with my 6601. It says that it's not possible or something. I searched here and saw a couple posts on this a while back, but was wondering if anyone else is experiencing it. I posted not being able to send voice files made IN outlook even, a while back, and others were experiencing that too......... what about other attachments? I can't even forward an email with a pic attached....... the email will send but Stripped of the attachment.
    Very troublesome.........
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Well first of all, POP3 is your incoming protocol (Post Office Protocol version 3). You actually send outbound mail through SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol)

That having been said for completeness, however, the real problem is that *YOUR* SMTP provider is not allowing *YOU* to send attachments. Mine allows me, and it works fine. Mine has no size or MIME restrictions or anything else.

If you have a good relationship with your ISP, talk to them. If not, find another ISP from which you can send mail. You can search the forum for smtp.vzw.com or smtp.verizon.com or smtp.verizonwireless.com (I forget, and I'm at lunch now so can't search). Otherwise there are many SMTP services out there that will allow you to send pictures, files, attachments, etc.

Ehud

Yes I meant smtp......... but was saying it was a POP account for verification........... but got it.

Interesting, I never thought it would matter before as I can send attachment on outlook on my desktop....... so never thought there would be a difference......... how so or why I guess?

Anyway, the account in question is a Verizon Online, account.
    It has the old email setup though......... outgoing.verizon.net
    I don't know if that matters at all.
    So I will contact them.
    Thanks tons for the help!
    Last edited by gameboy213; 03-25-2005 at 02:08 PM.
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

If you set the same settings as you use on your pocket pc (verizon online) on your dekstop with outlook/outlook express... same ports... (ssl port 465 for smtp), does it work?

Ehud

I have sprint does that matter?
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

I don't know what sprint allows.

If you have an SMTP server you use on your desktop... use those same settings on your PPC and see if the problem goes away.

E

I have it set up on both devices EXACTLY the same.........

incoming.verizon.net
    outgoing.verizon.net

that is what is strange to me....... it is exactly the same!
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

You have successfully stumped me

I'm sure it's a problem at the server side, but why it works for the desktop I have no idea... unless it checks via IP address.

Sorry...

E

I know it doesn't do that as I have send email from 3 computers in my house succsefully........
    Must be sprint.....
    thanks for the help!
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600