+ Reply to Thread

MS Voice Command and the HBH 660 Headset

I just downloaded the trial of MS VC 1.5. Before I make a purchase I have a question. Anyway to setup the button on the HBH 660 headset to be the default for initializing voice command. Right now I have a button on the PPC selected to start VC but I'd rather have the button on the headset do it.

Any hints? Thanks again, guys.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    >...I'd rather have the button on the headset do it.

So would we all.

> Any hints?

Long answer:
    Read the two sticky threads at the top of this forum. Pay special attention to the parts that talk about bluetooth and voice command.

Short answer: use "search" before starting a new thread. Perhaps it's been covered once or twice before.

Ehud

Originally posted by Ehud
    >...I'd rather have the button on the headset do it.

So would we all.

> Any hints?

Long answer:
    Read the two sticky threads at the top of this forum. Pay special attention to the parts that talk about bluetooth and voice command.

Short answer: use "search" before starting a new thread. Perhaps it's been covered once or twice before.

Ehud
    I get the point. I did a search before I posted but found nothing. Now I know why.

If it's so much trouble for you to read these posts and respond, why do you?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    It's not too much trouble for me to read these posts.

I do respond because often I can share the answer with the poster. Sometimes it takes research on my part, and I do it. Sometimes I actually have to hard-reset my phone, do the tests, and then maybe restore. I do that too.

On the other hand, there are lazy people who just want to start a new thread that might as well be entitled "I didn't want to search but I want you guys to provide me the quick one-post answer". Those I rail against.

So if your question is "Why does Ehud bother?" it's to provide more of the information that's not out there, and not to support lazy no-goodnicks.

Ehud

Ouch!

Well, he asked. Play with matches, you get burned - its that simple.

-BD

Play nice, guys...

Bottom line, no you can't program the button on the headset.
    John

Originally posted by Ehud
    It's not too much trouble for me to read these posts.

I do respond because often I can share the answer with the poster. Sometimes it takes research on my part, and I do it. Sometimes I actually have to hard-reset my phone, do the tests, and then maybe restore. I do that too.

On the other hand, there are lazy people who just want to start a new thread that might as well be entitled "I didn't want to search but I want you guys to provide me the quick one-post answer". Those I rail against.

So if your question is "Why does Ehud bother?" it's to provide more of the information that's not out there, and not to support lazy no-goodnicks.

Ehud
    Do appreciate if you could tone it down a notch....Thanks Ehud...
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

No more calling anyone a lazy no-goodnick?

Look what censorship is becoming in this country!!

-BD

Hey...whatever makes you feel better about yourself. In the future, I'll start my posts with, "Everybody but Ehud, please help!"

Please lay off Ehud some. There has been a rash of reposts so I understand his frustration. He has a lot of good info and is willing to load whatever on his phone to test something out, even if it means a hard reset. He is also kind enough to mirror files we need for our phone on his site.

Admittedly this was one of his harshest replies but having him around is worth a couple of "do a search before you post" comments.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

MJDore, I don't think Ehud was specifically pointing at you in his 2nd reply. He is just explaining why he responded the way he did initially. Some folks are lazy and some just don't know any better. I think you will find Ehud very helpful. You are new to the site and I think Ehud's original reply was reasonable but a tad "tough" on "a new guy". I also understand that even when you search it can be difficult to find what you want.

One thing that would be real nice is a search that took you to the appropriate page with in a thread and highlighted the hits. If you search now and it hits in a large thread it's almost useless.

Also different people use different language to describe features and problems.

Ehud is a great asset to the forum but could have been a tad less tough on a new guy on the block.

This site has been great without many flame wars. Give each other a bit of slack. Both sides can help to cool this off.

MJDore, welcome to the forum. I think you will find this a fun place to hang out.

You might update which phone, headset and ROM you are running in your profile so folks can better answer questions. Because there are some differences.

Originally posted by mswlogo
    Ehud is a great asset to the forum but could have been a tad less tough on a new guy on the block. [/B]
    Asset or not, its no reason to be a prick. If the question has been asked before, why reply unless you provide the answer? It only bumps the post to the top.

How much you want to bet he found this site using a search like google etc. That's how I arrived here. When some people post, they abbreviate or use slang, how would you know you should search for BT or VC and that provides more results? Oh that's right, you cant search for terms under 3 letters.

To answer your question MJDore, and to provide something searchable since the answer is in a 5 page long thread:

It wont work in Mobile 2003. There is a rumor that the fix will be in 2005 edition.

Ehud,

Ignore the naysayers. I find the information you provide to this forum to be invaluable.

Suggestion to MJDore: When you come to a new forum with thousands of posts dedicated to the device you're focused on, expect that the body of posted (and probably re-re-posted )knowledge here probably already contains your issue. Additionally, when an active and very knowledgeable member points this fact out to you, try not to go out of your way to critique them for the service. Trust me, the information they provide far outweighs any social discomfort you may feel when you are provided with the means to help yourself finds the already available answer.

Everyone stop p*ssyfooting around.

Common forum etiquette: before you kick the door open acting like the planets revolve around you and you are the only one with an issue, DO A SEARCH.

It stops wasting everyone's time and prevents fragmented information from occurring.

Yeah Ehud could have just let it go and the post would have dropped off the board like a hot rock, but I think he did a service and was nice enough to point out correct forum manners.

And what is this, the "kindler, gentler" forum?? What is wrong with a few flames. It is fun and people tend to step up the level and depth of their arguments because they have more incentive to make their point.

-BD

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    This is probably one of the most debated subjects when it comes to forums. Is it OK to ask a question that's been asked before? Is it OK to tell someone to use search if it happens? Is it OK to flame each other.

We encourage the use of search before posting, but that's always going to be tougher for the new guys. Most of the regulars hear are extremely fluent with operating in a forum, and can easily jump into a forum on a new subject and navigate with search to what they need. The problem is that as our site has become more popular... we get a lot of folks here through the search engines that may be a little uneasy with forums and getting the most from search. So... it is OK to post a question that's been answered before.

That said, the regulars here like to hang out at pdaPhoneHome to explore and learn new things... while also helping out beginners. But, they also get bored out of their mind when they keep answering the same questions over and over. So, it is also OK to encourage new folks to use search (in a nice way).

What invariably happens in this situation is someone gets ticked off and starts the flaming back and forth... either they didn't get the answer they wanted... or they didn't want to answer the question. From that point forth the thread is usually a total waste of space and time for the people that read it. So, flames are not OK here at pdaPhoneHome... even though they do seem to be OK in the majority of other forums out there. We do try to be different in that way. Personal attacks (flaming) don't bring the debate to a higher level... they just result in everyone getting annoyed.

The best solution to this is FAQs... they allow the regulars to refer the new guys to answers, without having to retype them. I think in this thread that was attempted first... then things took a turn for the worse.

Lets all move on on this one....
    Mike - Been Converged?