+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts from G1000 converts?

My Hitachi G1000 is sick and I'm thinking of switching to the 6600. If anyone has any comparison of those two specific models, I'd love to hear your thoughts. (Not just 6600 triumphalism). Specifically:

Is the 6600 keyboard a membrane, or is it mechanical
    buttons like the G1000?

Can it run Avantgo like the G1000 does?

Can it run GSPlayer like the G1000 does? I can't live without shoutcast.

Is the camera at least as good as the G1000?

Thanks for your time.
    Thanks for participating on PdaPhoneHome!

It's a membrane, but much better than G1000 because buttons will never get grimy and stick.

It'll run anything the G will run and more.

Camera is better I believe.

There is NO comparison between these two units, the 128 megs of RAM, bluetooth, and smaller form factor all combine to make it a MUCH better unit than the G1000!
    Tom

You've almost sold me.

Is the screen the same size? I got middle-aged eyes.

Also, is there are trade-in program with a G, or do you pay the $400 to sprint?

G1000 & PPC6601

I was a faithfull user of the G1000. I loved that phone. However, I continuously had poor reception. I went through "several" (and I mean several) G1000's and all of them were that way. Combined with the low memory, short battery life, and other little bugs, I decided it was time to move on.
    I decided on the PPC 6601 and am very pleased. It runs programs alot quicker. The reception is tremendously better than the G1K. The 2003 operating system is alot more stable, too. I hardly ever have to do a soft reset. The battery last quite a bit more that the G1K, also.
    I was also concerned about the keyboard like you. I had read a few reviews that did not favor it. However, the reviews were done by avid Treo users. After buying the PPC-6601, I actually found that I preferred the PPC's keyboard over the G1K. The different button configuration took some time getting use to, but I was able to get back to my original typing speed in no time. The slide & hide keyboard also allows the PPC-6601 to remain slim and small. The addition of a directional jog button in the center is great, also.
    As for the camera, the PPC-6601 doesn't have one. I never used the G1K camera that much, so I don't really miss it.
    As I said, I loved the G1K, but the PPC-6601 makes a great replacement.

Administrator
    get the 00. of course this phone is better than the G...

The 6600 on Sprint does have the camera. I got the 6601 without as I can count on one FINGER how many times I actually used the G1000 camera, other than to play around with portrait...
    Tom

I only things i liked better about the G were:
    1) camera rotated and was recognised by MS Portrait. When I had a good signal vid conf worked great.
    2)Picture quality was better on G. I don't know if this is a software setting or not but the file size on my G pics was around 300K and the 6600 is around 90K.

Other than that the 6600 wins hands down, memory, speed, size, keyboard......oh and I actually get a signal on the 6600 went through 2 G's for that reason alone.
    Once the bluetooth and camera are fixed I will be a very happy geek. It is funny when you pull this out to answer a call and everyone looks and someone says "I thought phones were getting smaller!". Then you hang up, take a picture, email it to mom and then browse the web for some bluetooth fixes.

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar
    Switching from the G1000 to the 6601 is like switching from a Saturn to a Viper. (No offense to any saturn owners out there.)
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

I appreciate these replies. I got middle aged eyes that need a large screen... So a big phone isn't a bug, it's a FEATURE.

I was very happy with my G, except for memory size. I had purchased programs (that needed to go into main memory) that I haven't been able to use until I got the 6600. If it wasn't for the lack of memory, I could've gone on longer with the G, it was working very well.
    But gotta say, I'm thrilled with the ppc6600!
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

Originally posted by lattitude
    I only things i liked better about the G were:
    1) camera rotated and was recognised by MS Portrait. When I had a good signal vid conf worked great.
    2)Picture quality was better on G. I don't know if this is a software setting or not but the file size on my G pics was around 300K and the 6600 is around 90K.

Other than that the 6600 wins hands down, memory, speed, size, keyboard......oh and I actually get a signal on the 6600 went through 2 G's for that reason alone.
    Once the bluetooth and camera are fixed I will be a very happy geek. It is funny when you pull this out to answer a call and everyone looks and someone says "I thought phones were getting smaller!". Then you hang up, take a picture, email it to mom and then browse the web for some bluetooth fixes.
    The update did not fix your bluetooth issues? Mine are completely fixed but I don't use a headset...
    Tom

PPC 6600 / 6601 vs G1000

Ok,

I know many of you are converted G1000 users.

Just a quick ?

What are the signficant pros / cons to converting over and is there a reason to wait for another release of the 66** series?

I'm a recent "back to the G1000" phone but know that there is a huge reason why most of you have run over to the 6600 series.

Wow I really don’t know how to answer this one. Well really I must say I did love the G1k. Great phone but only for its time.

Personal Pros for the 6600 vs. G1k.
    maintaining internet connection (aim stays on, mail updates, weather updates)
    Works with exchange server
    Speed (much better processor but same speed)
    Bluetooth
    Size, weight
    Records video ( has flash)
    I mean really overall just a much better device, more fun and much better for a tech/business person.

Personal Cons for 6600 vs. G1k
    Keyboard (I loved the G keyboard)
    Battery (6600 is the pits)
    Rotating camera (god I miss this one great for video chats and self photos)
    But that’s really it. I really can’t say witch one took better photos but I think there both good for what they are.

hopes that helps

PROS

Its nice not having a phone the size of a Buick.

Having newer OS means newer 3rd party stuff works.

WMP10

In my case I like having a nice aluminum case as opposed to the factory case I used for my G1000.

The past 9 months I have gone through 8 G1000s. 7 had legitament problems. Hopefully the new phone wont hose its internet, drop calls, have flaky signal.....etc.....

The charger base is much more sturdy.

Seems to have less ActiveSync problems.

Navigation pad makes the phone more compatible with a lot of software.

No antenna

upgrades seem more plentiful with this phone

CONS

I liked the G keybaord better since it had actualy buttons.

I dont use bluetooth

The stylus was a tad easier to get out of the G1000

Ringers are a little quieter

No running programs button on the Today screen

Cant flip camera lense (nice when using MS Potrait)
    Sprint Mogul (PPC-6800) - dcd 3.0.1 ..... 3.35.04 ..... OliPro 2.40 ..... 60610 PRL
    Sprint PPC-6600 - 2.07.00 WWE ..... HA00_166 (spare phone laying around)
    Sprint PPC-6600 - 2.04.00 WWE ..... HA00_140 ..... 1.36.113 WWE (used for GPS only)

Re: PPC 6600 / 6601 vs G1000

Originally posted by pcmedics911
    Ok,

I know many of you are converted G1000 users.

Just a quick ?

What are the signficant pros / cons to converting over and is there a reason to wait for another release of the 66** series?

I'm a recent "back to the G1000" phone but know that there is a huge reason why most of you have run over to the 6600 series.
    I never had one but can tell you that this has been discussed a bunch here I think. Try a search........ I remember a lot of people discussing this when the 660x was released..........
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

How many of you guys received the PPC as an insurance replacement for the G1000?

My G1000 died and sprint sent me a treo 650. I kept it for about two months, but once you are used to a pocketpc the palm just won't cut it. I complained to sprint, and they eventually sent me a 6600.

my Keyguard button has broken off...........I've been living with it..........but if I call Lockline and tell them that I need a device that can run Microsoft Exchange Server for accessing my work email away from the office, you think they'll send me the 6601/6600?

How recent was your replacement transaction?

I just got my phone a month ago. I should have mentioned that I got it directly from sprintPCS, not lockline. If you have had your G1000 for less than a year than it is under warranty from sprint.

I have heard of alot of people getting them from lockline, but simply having a broken keyguard button is probably not reason to replace the phone. Especially since there is no keyguard button on the 6600 (I really do miss that button from the G.)

I got my G1000 two months ago. I swapped/traded my Treo600 for it.........and I've always had replacement insurance through Lockline. When I was having problems with my I300, I received an I500 as a replacement. I kept it for a few months and traded it for the Treo600. I'm assuming that if I have other issues with the G1000 later on that I would have to go through Lockline as opposed to going directly to a Sprint store, wouldn't you think?