+ Reply to Thread

For those clamoring for 'real' push email

From MSMobiles.com:
    http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3662.html

Personally, Exchange AS on a schedule works fine for me now as is.
    Last edited by lmychajluk; 03-14-2005 at 10:34 AM.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

I hope that something like this is true. My friends and coworkers that have RIM berrys all have push even though they don't have exchange servers.......... I am looking for the same functionality, and hopefully will find it soon!
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

Re: For those clamoring for 'real' push email

Originally posted by lmychajluk
    From MSMobiles.com:
    http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3662.html

Personally, Exchange AS on a schedule works fine for me now as is.
    May I ask, with my first post , what is Exchange AS???

I am about to make the HUGE leap from being a ten plus year Palm OS guy with a VZW Treo 600 to the vx6600 and am clamoring for information. I currently use SnapperMail and it pulls my e-mail on a set sched and works fine. That limite amount of functionality would be at least what I would expect out of the vx- I will NOT use VZW's Wireless Sync- hate it.

Thanks for any info...

Exchange AS = Exchange ActiveSync. It's a built-in function of MS Exchange 2003 that allows you to sync your Inbox, Calendar, and Contacts with the Exchange server over an IP network, including the Internet if the Server is so configured. It can be on a scheduled basis, and also has the option to send an SMS to your devices when a new mail comes in that automatically initiates the sync from the Device, in effect giving the illusion of 'pushing' email to the device.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

LTS
    But in regards to the "push" notification if you get a lot of email you might run up your SMS count.

Still, Exchange AS works great for us. We also have users on Sprint's Treo650 and Cingular's Treo650 using it, no problems. Although those clients don't sync contacts which is a bit of a drag.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Network Push isn't SMS push.

VZW does not currently support SMS push.

As such your SMS count isn't going up.

E

Originally posted by LTS
    But in regards to the "push" notification if you get a lot of email you might run up your SMS count.

Still, Exchange AS works great for us. We also have users on Sprint's Treo650 and Cingular's Treo650 using it, no problems. Although those clients don't sync contacts which is a bit of a drag.
    They don't sync contacts? Is that a Treo thing that they don't? Are contacts selected in the ActiveSync config on the device?

My only problem w/ Exchange AS is I can't get it running reliably w/ SSL, but the Syncing itself works great.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

LTS
    Originally posted by lmychajluk
    They don't sync contacts? Is that a Treo thing that they don't? Are contacts selected in the ActiveSync config on the device?

My only problem w/ Exchange AS is I can't get it running reliably w/ SSL, but the Syncing itself works great.
    There is no option for that in the Treo. The Treo650 integrates ActiveSync from VersaMail and it does not have contacts in it. That is still only accomplished by a HotSync. Shrug, I can't stand the PalmOS, never could.

Is BC not considered real push email?

Originally posted by Ehud
    Network Push isn't SMS push.

VZW does not currently support SMS push.

As such your SMS count isn't going up.

E
    Are you saying that Verizon blocks or does not recognize Exchange Activesync SMS push?

In other words, I am using ActiveSync set up to stay Always Up To Date (AUTD) and I thought that I was taking advantage of the SMS push function, but it seems sporadic - is this because the SMS is not really working? If what you say is true, then would I be closer to a push solution by using Verizon WS?

Thanks a bunch.

E is that true about sms push? I know Wreless Sync uses some binary messaging. It starts filling up my inbox when my WS server crashes. They send a binary email which I thought was SMS to tell all parties to sync. I talked directly to an Intellisync tech who said WS sends Binary SMS to tell when to sync. (Not saying he wasn't lying but that is what he told me and what I saw in my email)
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

What's the need for push mail? Do you really need your phone to chime every time you get an email? My ppc would run out of batteries in 1/2 the time if it alerted me EVERY TIME I got mail. Specially with all the German Hate mail provided as a result of the SOBER virus. Just my 2 cents. Tell me why, please...
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Is it possible to have the Verizon 6600 sync remotly to a desktop version of Activesync? If so could someone point me to an FAQ to set it up? This would solve all of my problems.

Thanks!

Originally posted by sphinx88
    Is it possible to have the Verizon 6600 sync remotly to a desktop version of Activesync? If so could someone point me to an FAQ to set it up? This would solve all of my problems.

Thanks!
    Yes, you CAN do this...but it's complicated...and if you are talking about a pc at work, you probably have to vpn in from the ppc. How you would do it varies depending on the network that the desktop is on.
    Tom

I just looked up the write-up somewhere about setting up a vpn on the 6600 in the archives here- pretty intimidating.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Originally posted by IvanLasston
    E is that true about sms push? I know Wreless Sync uses some binary messaging. It starts filling up my inbox when my WS server crashes. They send a binary email which I thought was SMS to tell all parties to sync. I talked directly to an Intellisync tech who said WS sends Binary SMS to tell when to sync. (Not saying he wasn't lying but that is what he told me and what I saw in my email)
    Is there any way to test whether the Exchange Server is sending an SMS messgage to your phone? For as E claims, Verizon doesn't support SMS push from Exchange, in which case it might make sense to consider WS if it works...

Originally posted by dmackdaddy
    What's the need for push mail? Do you really need your phone to chime every time you get an email? My ppc would run out of batteries in 1/2 the time if it alerted me EVERY TIME I got mail. Specially with all the German Hate mail provided as a result of the SOBER virus. Just my 2 cents. Tell me why, please...
    My 2 main reasons for push mail:

1a. Need to be informed about time sensitive mail. (Sometimes I have something to do within an a couple of hours after being notified.)

1b. Freedom from laptop during working hours. I get my life back and I'm just as responsive as I would be if I was sitting in the office with my laptop.

2. Not wanting to perform unnecessary polling during slow times. I might get one note all weekend and it could be important. I get the jump on my colleagues who don't have Blackberry devices.

The extended battery has solved my battery life problem.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Originally posted by n8mack33
    Is there any way to test whether the Exchange Server is sending an SMS messgage to your phone? For as E claims, Verizon doesn't support SMS push from Exchange, in which case it might make sense to consider WS if it works...
    Its not the Exchange server in my case, its the wireless sync server that is sending the SMS. The only way to see these messages is if my Monitor software crashes and they start backing up on the server. Otherwise there is some fancy magic going on that moves the messages without the end user ever seeing them.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Originally posted by n8mack33
    Exchange over activesync works fine with VZW. I have been using it for quite a while. Microsoft has a utility for testing the SMS send. Check microsoft.com for the AUTD (Always Up To Date) testing tool.

Originally posted by Beryl
    My 2 main reasons for push mail:

1a. Need to be informed about time sensitive mail. (Sometimes I have something to do within an a couple of hours after being notified.)

1b. Freedom from laptop during working hours. I get my life back and I'm just as responsive as I would be if I was sitting in the office with my laptop.

2. Not wanting to perform unnecessary polling during slow times. I might get one note all weekend and it could be important. I get the jump on my colleagues who don't have Blackberry devices.

The extended battery has solved my battery life problem.
    Good points.

I just hit the road and when I have a second or I'm in need of work, I just hit the sync buttons and I get my mail. Down time is up time for me, without push, but I guess being in IT, I already get pages and what not when something real important needs to be tended to. Might not be the case for sales guys that get less noise in their mail box.
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/