+ Reply to Thread

XV6600 is broken?

I am new to this forum and to the XV6600!

I didnt drop it... but i tried to upgrade it and it seems to have died or something!

All that is displayed is Serial V1.02 or USB v1.02 (when attached to cradle).

I have reset the device. I have disconnected the battery and let it sit for a while hoping it would reset itself. No love. ;(

I called Audiovox about it. They were not so helpful with the troubleshooting process but then again, maybe there is nothing they can really do. I have to send it to them.

That, is, well, not an option! Do i really have to do that? I am gonna go to Verizon first to get them to swap it out for me.

Has anyone had this problem and resolved it? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Oh and hi there, I am new to your forum but so glad i found it!

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Reboot the computer you were working with, or try a different USB port.

This is a known issue. Some people have it happen. Don't worry. Restart the upgrade and it should complete just fine.

Ehud

Nice!

First question: Why didnt I think of that!?!

Better question: Why didnt the dude at Audiovox think of that?

Answer: Ehud r00lz

Thank you for the quick response and reassurance regarding the problem. I am in the process of upgrading now.

Thank you again.

Will report back the results.

I called and requested a phone replacement the first time this happened. Sprint, not knowing anything about this phone, agreed that it is a "defective phone" and processed the replacement request.

The second attempt worked. So, when the same thing happened on the next 3 phones, I did not panic, and I calmly restarted the update.

Someone here suggested it could be the way you hook up your PC and PPC, and that if it's going through a USB hub, or if the AC adapter is not plugged into the Audiovox USB cradle that this could happen.

Wow...I have just gone through an emotional nightmare...

I too, tried to do Ehud's update---but I tried to do it via BT because I was having problems with one of my USB ports. It crashed my phone, and gave me the "v1.02" error. I said screw it last night, and that I would go to the Sprint Store and just get a new phone. But, after a little more searching, I found this thread.

I tried to to the update again, and SHAZAAM! It worked beautifully--but again, only by the CRADLE with POWER. It was my fault, I thought it was more important to be ActiveSynced than to have the Power from the AC adaptor--I was WRONG!

Anyways, I got it all set, backed up/restored contacts, and am reinstalling apps...even regstrd apps, which is a pain because I might have to buy them again!

Thanks all for your knowledge!
    Last edited by Sincerus; 06-20-2005 at 03:29 PM.
    "I think, therefor I am"
    -Rene Descartes

Originally posted by Sincerus
    Wow...I have just gone through an emotional nightmare...

I too, tried to do Ehud's update---but I tried to do it via BT because I was having problems with one of my USB ports. It crashed my phone, and gave me the "v1.02" error. I set screw it last night, and that I would go to the Sprint Store and just get a new phone. But, after a little more searching, I found this thread.

I tried to to the update again, and SHAZAAM! It worked beautifully--but again, only by the CRADLE with POWER. It was my fault, I thought it was more important to be ActiveSynced than to have the Power from the AC adaptor--I was WRONG!

Anyways, I got it all set, backed up/restored contacts, and am reinstalling apps...even regstrd apps, which is a pain because I might have to buy them again!

Thanks all for your knowledge!
    Its not the power aspect as much as there's no bluetooth stack native to the phone.

Programming the firmware resets the phone into a base-mode where i'm guessing it really only has a simple usb-serial protocol enabled.

But.. ya. Its not the power so much as it just wasn't engineered to be programmed over bluetooth.

btf

yikes... a rom upgrade via Bluetooth? I hope others can learn from your mistake Sincerus... you absolutely have to do your upgrade via USB... there's just no getting around that.

Dan

Originally posted by luv2chill
    yikes... a rom upgrade via Bluetooth? I hope others can learn from your mistake Sincerus... you absolutely have to do your upgrade via USB... there's just no getting around that.

Dan
    Yes, I have learned a valuable lesson...and I understand the reason for it, so it helps me figure out why-- because sending data wirelessly via BT could result in some info not getting transfered, lost, etc.

Thanks Dan.
    "I think, therefor I am"
    -Rene Descartes