+ Reply to Thread

Just got phone. Some simple questions for yall

Actually they sent me the WRONG phone. I have the one without the camera so he said I can keep it until the new camera phone comes out before 14 days. so..

1. When will the camera version be out? It seems from what I read it should be any day now.

2. I have a hotmail email account. So do I need to PAY microsoft for a pop account? Or is there any free way?

3. How can I send video clips to other phones? With the phone it seems I can only send text messages. I know I can BEAM things to phones but as far as calling them and sending them pictures/video/files how can I do this ?

4. Can I download and install programs ALL from the phone without using a computer? I tried to get a WMV file but when I pressed on it just a whole bunch of garbage characters came up

5. Can I sent txt messages to Russia? It seems like I cannot

6. I am a game programmer with the computer. I am looking to write games for the pocket PC. Anyone here do this ? Deploying a compiled app to my phone does not seem to work.

7. Is there a list of MOBILE web sites somewhere?

8. Does the phone have the capability to send sound output to the person on the other side of a conversation ?

thats all I can think of at the momnet..

oh and... what are the MUST HAVE apps? So I do not have to go through 10000 of them ?

as far as sending images.. it seems I NEED to have email set up with a pop account.. ? on my old nokia there was a option to 'send as multimedia..'

Re: Just got phone. Some simple questions for yall

See my answers below in bold:

Originally posted by punkouter
    Actually they sent me the WRONG phone. I have the one without the camera so he said I can keep it until the new camera phone comes out before 14 days. so..

1. When will the camera version be out? It seems from what I read it should be any day now. What carrier are you with. If it is Sprint it has already been out for several weeks. As far as VZ, I have not heard of an ETA for their camera phone yet....but I have been busy at work so I could have missed if announced recently.

2. I have a hotmail email account. So do I need to PAY microsoft for a pop account? Or is there any free way? I heard at one time that they were going to stop all POP accounts....but since I am not with them don't know if they followed through on that promise or not.

3. How can I send video clips to other phones? With the phone it seems I can only send text messages. I know I can BEAM things to phones but as far as calling them and sending them pictures/video/files how can I do this ? A couple ways. With sprint you can have a service called Picture mail. It works with pictures....but does it work with movies? But on the 6600 after you take a picture or movie you also have the option to attach it an email. I have done this several times and when VC is disabled, it works great.

4. Can I download and install programs ALL from the phone without using a computer? I tried to get a WMV file but when I pressed on it just a whole bunch of garbage characters came up Firsof all that is not a program file, that is a Windows Media Video file. You will need to make sure the video player supports it, which apparently it does not or the file is corrupted. In that you need may another video player that does.

To answer the original question. If the install file for the program ends with a .exe --- it needs to installed via your computer. If the file ends with a .cab---then you need to download or move it to your handheld and install it from there.

5. Can I sent txt messages to Russia? It seems like I cannot Never tried....do they have different protocols? Are there international exceptions? I would imagine that if you both are using the same program it would work.....but I must admit since it is extremely rare that I ever use SMS, I am a real novice in this area....Maybe someone else could give a more educated answer. Or, Maybe you or the person you are SMS'ing are flagged by the NSA or CIA?!?

6. I am a game programmer with the computer. I am looking to write games for the pocket PC. Anyone here do this ? Deploying a compiled app to my phone does not seem to work. There are whole forums dedicated to development. Check out forum.xda-developers.com . If they don't support gaming development they will be able to point you to where to go.

7. Is there a list of MOBILE web sites somewhere? Here are just a few of the most popular:
    SprintUsers.com
    HowardForums.com
    Treo Central in the Other Phones Section of the forums -- http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
    Windowsmobile -- www.msmobiles.com
    PocketPCthoughts --- www.pocketpcthoughts.com

8. Does the phone have the capability to send sound output to the person on the other side of a conversation ? Never tried....but not that I know of.

thats all I can think of at the momnet..

oh and... what are the MUST HAVE apps? So I do not have to go through 10000 of them ? I have two threads that I posted that should help:

PPC Software List and Links
    ( PPC Software List and Links )

Ultimate Toys For the 660x
    ( Ultimate Toys For the 660x )

I hope this helps.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

thank you!!

To clear things up.. it is verizon..

2. I am pretty sure they stopped pop accounts. I assume I can get one from somewhere. If I get a web site then I can use the smtp server I think

3. Since I have the version without a camera I do not see that option. I can send attachments but I must specify SENDING EMAIL and since I have no pop account I cannot do that. Maybe the camera version will allow me a new option

4. Well I have WMP9 so I though that supported WMV files.. maybe I should try again.. or a mpg file.. to see if maybe that works

So basically. You cannot install any software on the phone without a computer yes?

5. There was a page at verizon showing a map and countries supported. It seemed russia was not on that list But maybe someone knows something about it..

6. got it

7. whoops.. i MEANT to say.. web sites for my PHONE.. I mean that were made to be viewed by a phone.

8. That would be fun. Get a Arnold Screwegger soundboard and call people

Originally posted by punkouter
    thank you!!

4. Well I have WMP9 so I though that supported WMV files.. maybe I should try again.. or a mpg file.. to see if maybe that works

So basically. You cannot install any software on the phone without a computer yes?

7. whoops.. i MEANT to say.. web sites for my PHONE.. I mean that were made to be viewed by a phone.

8. That would be fun. Get a Arnold Screwegger soundboard and call people
    4. There are other players out there that may support different formats and work better, but I don't have specifics off the top of my head.

No not completely correct.....if it is an exe file you you MUST install from your computer. But if it is a cab file, you MUST install it from your phone.

7. Yes there are threads on this. At one time either on this forum or over at HoFO I posted a zip file a large collection of web links I use on my phone.

Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

"4. Well I have WMP9 so I though that supported WMV files.. maybe I should try again.. or a mpg file.. to see if maybe that works"

WMV is not an installable program, it's a file format. You should be able to copy or download the WMV file to the device and play it with Pocket-WMP9.

Software can be installed directly to the device if it's downloaded as a CAB file, then clicked using File Explorer.

Here's a link to an small app that will install a bunch of links to PocketPC optimized sites in your Pocket IE.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

ok ..

so is there a place I can make a free pop account?

I tried verizon.net but I tihnk that is from land line customers ?

ok.. i found a place with a fre epop account.. so one last question

with my old nokia.. I could snap a picture and send it to a PHONE NUMBER and it would work

now when I send to a PHONE NUMBER I do not see how I can add the image attachment. What am I missing ? I want to send to a phone number NOT a email address..

Sprint has PictureMail....so I imagine VZ has a similar service.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

wait!! don't tell me you can't send pictures directly to a phone!!

I am sending it back if that is true.. My nokie 3650 I could recieve photos ON MY PHONE.. why wouldnt I be able to do this with verizon?

I always just assumed this was possible

Just to add another newb question... is there a way to tell the phone that the default number to call when you click a contact is their 'mobile' number rather than their 'work' number?

Thanks
    -n

No....I just what I am saying is that some carriers have services for this.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

Originally posted by wolfbeast
    Just to add another newb question... is there a way to tell the phone that the default number to call when you click a contact is their 'mobile' number rather than their 'work' number?

Thanks
    -n
    When browsing the contact list, you can use the D-pad L/R to select which phone number is displayed, and that's the number that will be called if you press the phone button at that point. That's the closest I can think of to what you're asking.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter