+ Reply to Thread

Using phone as a modem w/USB cable

I am contemplating buying a vx6600CAM from Verizon, (returning my new LG VX 8000)

A couple of questions...

1) Most important, can you use this phone as a modem via a USB cable with say a laptop? if so, where can said cable be had? and can you browse at EV-DO speed?

2) Can you assign ringer tones to specific callers?

3) Does the phone have "voice dialing" features?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    1. (a) Yes
    (b) Various places like Expansys do.
    Search for "USB cable" like so: http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...der=descending
    (c) Yes

2) Only with third party programs. Search for "ringtone and caller"

3) Yes. Search for "voice command"

Ehud

Yes---Go to www.ppctechs.com for the Lil' Sync Pro. EVDO speed. You'll need to follow the instructions from Ehud's website, www.myehud.com/xv6600/index.html

There is a thread, I forget the name (ringer something) that has a beta program that seems to actually work for most. I haven't tried it myself yet.

You have to buy MS Voice Command (favored by most). Others have used Voice Signal or Fonix. But none come with the device itself. Voice Command also opens programs, announces who is calling (that's why I never followed with the distinctive ringer thing), controls WMP, and various other things.

***Edit---dang, Ehud beat me to it. Of course, I linked his website and he didn't!
    Last edited by mwfielder; 03-15-2005 at 12:32 PM.
    Jeremiah 29:11

[mwfielder: you'll want to edit the trailing period out of the URL above ]

Originally posted by Ehud
    [mwfielder: you'll want to edit the trailing period out of the URL above ]
    Done---

Thumbs down Verizon says you can't

Verizon says you can't use the 6600 as a modem no drivers made for it, they want you to buy the plan for $70 a month instead of $40 w/ your PDA. If someone knows how or where to get a third party driver please let me know. this will complete a test i been working on.

Thumbs up Yep it works

Yep it works the external modem refering to the above thread, this now allows me to upload forms that use java, on my laptop using the xv6600 as a modem, where the PDA could not process the forms fast enough it now can by using it as a modem.

This is a huge time saver for me!

Thank You

SPRINT - 6600 USB MODEM

I have noticed a lot of information regarding the Verizon network and how to create a Internet connection using BT/USB but how about for the Sprint network? I'd like some instructions on how to set up my Sprint 6600 as a modem with my tablet pc (USB or BT). Anyone know how to do this?

Re: SPRINT - 6600 USB MODEM

Originally posted by bgoldsm
    I have noticed a lot of information regarding the Verizon network and how to create a Internet connection using BT/USB but how about for the Sprint network? I'd like some instructions on how to set up my Sprint 6600 as a modem with my tablet pc (USB or BT). Anyone know how to do this?
    http://www.myehud.com/xv6600/usbmodem.html

Works the same on Sprint...

Re: SPRINT - 6600 USB MODEM

Originally posted by bgoldsm
    Actually the instructions for Sprint come on the CD that came with your phone. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

I was successful performing a BT DUN. Thanks for those that replied.

BG

Originally posted by Ehud
    1. (a) Yes
    (b) Various places like Expansys do.
    Search for "USB cable" like so: http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...der=descending
    (c) Yes

2) Only with third party programs. Search for "ringtone and caller"

3) Yes. Search for "voice command"

Ehud
    Hi Ehud, all,

I tired the instructions on your website. I downloaded and unzipped the 3 files, copied wmodem over to my vx6600 (I put in the windows directory; is there some way to get it to appear under "Programs"?), ran "ActiveSync Disco" on my PC, started wmodem w/ USB selected on my phone, and the ran "CMDA Modem". It tries to connect but comes back with an error 680.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

The Cartman of Convergence
    You mean the Pocket PC is not connected to the PC.
    You have wmodem on the Pocket PC.
    Activesync USB connection disabled on the PC.
    The cdma1x_usbmdm.inf accessible to the PC to install as a driver for the "Modem" (Pocket PC). (I've put the .inf file in my C:\WINDOWS\INF and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directories so that the driver is always available on the PC)
    You selected wmodem.exe on the Pocket PC, selected usb from the drop down menu, pressed start on wmodem, THEN conected the PPC by USB to your PC? If you follow the instructions on the wmodem screen it tells you to do it backwards. Do not follow those instructions.

Onstjohn

Originally posted by onstjohn
    You selected wmodem.exe on the Pocket PC, selected usb from the drop down menu, pressed start on wmodem, THEN conected the PPC by USB to your PC? If you follow the instructions on the wmodem screen it tells you to do it backwards. Do not follow those instructions.

Onstjohn
    Thank you Onstjohn! Switching the order (i.e. running wmodem first even b4 attaching the USB to the PC) has solved my problem.

Originally posted by onstjohn
    You mean the Pocket PC is not connected to the PC.
    You have wmodem on the Pocket PC.
    Activesync USB connection disabled on the PC.
    The cdma1x_usbmdm.inf accessible to the PC to install as a driver for the "Modem" (Pocket PC). (I've put the .inf file in my C:\WINDOWS\INF and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directories so that the driver is always available on the PC)

Onstjohn
    Okay, a little help for a gnubee, please:

I just got the VX6600WOC last week (I'm assuming the WOC means 'WithOutCamera' ) As we speak, I'm using the 6600 as a BT dialup modem for my desktop. Its speed is sub-DSL but faster than 56K dialup. My ISP is Verizon. I bought it to connect to a broadband network wirelessly because the apt complex I live in doesn't take kindly to dishes, their own cable service is much too pricey, and I have no landline (the phone companies do not install DSL service without an accompanying landline.)

I've DL'd and unzipped the three items in ehud's very reasonable instructions to my desktop.

I've copied the .inf files to the appropriate WINDOWS directories.

How do I get wmodem.exe over to the 6600?

Use active sync. Once the 6600 is connected, hit explore and drag wmodem to your 6600---you can use any folder (just remember where you put it).