+ Reply to Thread

Neat trick - surf web with laptop's wifi broadband via BT, faster than 1xRTT

We don't have EVDO here in Colorado Springs yet. So, getting my 4mb Avantgo account updated, or updating Epocrates drug software can go a little slowly with 1xRTT.

I am using a 1Ghz Mac G4 12" powerbook, and have markspace.com Missing Sync software for doing active sync on a PPC through the Mac's isync.

One neat feature is that when XV6600 is connected via Missing Sync then I can use the Mac's internet connection to access the web on the XV6600. So, I connect to the mac via BT activesync, and then I can wirelessly update my Avantgo, Epocrates Rx software, and store my new emails on the 6600 much faster than if I were connected via 1xRTT.

Just for grins, while lounging on the sofa I surfed the web on the XV6600 and it seemed about 2-3x as fast as 1xRTT, without having to rest a hot laptop on my belly. In essense I had WiFi on my XV6600 but only a 30 foot range instead of 150 foot. Still, surfing from the couch will be done primarily on the Mac or my Toshiba Libretto 100CT which have bigger screens, but this was cool.

(I know, an SD WiFi card makes more sense, but until SanDisk works out the bugs and has drivers for the 256mb WiFi/Flash combo card, I'll wait)
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Reverse DUN, pretty cool.

Any idea on how the battery life was?

-rob

If you have an SD WiFi card, or if your PPC phone has it built in, like the SX66, you don't need to connect via BT, but rather via 801.11and experience fast speeds in the 1.5 mbps neighborhood. I found that to be nice when I'm sitting on the back deck in the backyard. Now that I returned my SX66 and bought a PPC6600 I use Thunderhawk and their optimized browsing technique which seems even faster than WiFi at times.

Battery life dropped about 20% with 45 minutes of BT syncing and surfing.

Interestingly, when i plugged into USB to charge, it dropped the connection and picked right back up with USB internet and sync. It took about 1hr via usb to recharge that 20% back onto the phone, with the 6600 asleep only half of that time.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Good info, thx. 20% isnt too bad. Wifi would have been much worse I imagine. It was on my ux-50 at least.

I am going to set this uo at home.

-rob

i cant get 3rd party browsers to work when i am connected with wifi? why

XV 6600

New to the forum.
    I have a XV6600 on Verizon Wireless an am unable to tether it to my laptop. IS there some instructions to make that possible. VErizon says that it can't be done.
    But they also said that when I had my Treo 600 an I found Junesfabrics.com that had some nice software that made it very possible and extremely fast.
    Is there any software out there that will allow me to BT to my XV6600 or at least data cable over to it. Bt is preferred.
    Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    Jim

thephonedoctor@comcast.net

Re: XV 6600

Originally posted by thephonedoctor
    New to the forum.
    I have a XV6600 on Verizon Wireless an am unable to tether it to my laptop. IS there some instructions to make that possible. VErizon says that it can't be done.
    But they also said that when I had my Treo 600 an I found Junesfabrics.com that had some nice software that made it very possible and extremely fast.
    Is there any software out there that will allow me to BT to my XV6600 or at least data cable over to it. Bt is preferred.
    Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    Jim

thephonedoctor@comcast.net

Use SEARCH my friend....

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...der=descending
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Originally posted by MR29ROSE
    i cant get 3rd party browsers to work when i am connected with wifi? why
    Because.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Insightful as always.

Originally posted by Curt
    Because.

I LOVE IT! Thats jsut a little too easy and I too get about 2-3X better speeds. Here is a question for ya . . . is there any way to access the network after connected to AS this way?

Gruhn

Yup, works the same way. Seems that once I am connected to Activesync via BT at home with wireless I get the speed. I thought this was a known phenomena. There is a lot on AS and BT on the forum. It was very difficult for me to set up originally.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz