+ Reply to Thread

Auto Area Code on Sprint 6600?

Is there any way to set a home area code?

Thanks

-rob

I'd like to know too. Mine keeps defaulting to 425 or something like that.

Go into Contacts, push the Tools menu and select "Options..."

In the bottom half there should be an area code option. Change it to your area code of choice.

HTH!

I too though the phone would be smart enough to glean that from the phone app.

Excellent!

That just made my day. Why the hell is that under contacts and not phone???

Thanks

-rob

Spoke too soon. That did not accomplsih what I am trying to do. I have a 305 area code but live in a 603 area code. 603 still has 7 digit dialing- so I would like all 7 digit numbers inputted to be automatically prefixed by 603.

Any way to pull that off?

-rob

That option in the Contacts program only sets the default area code for when you are entering phone numbers into the contacts program. In other words, if you're entering a phone number, this area code will automatically be entered for you so you only have to type XXX-XXXX.

However, it looks like you are wanting the phone to dial a default area code for you so you only have to enter XXX-XXXX when making a call, correct? I'm not exactly sure but it seems like the phone defaults to the area code that your cell phone number belongs to.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Unfortunately the Pocket PC Phone Edition phone program (which remains unchanged to this day in WME2003SE) doesn't contain options for area codes or credit cards.

The phone does not dial the area code that your number belongs to -- it doesn't dial ANY area code. It dials exactly what you type.

This may be an enhancement suggestion to Potala Telly... or for someone to do a loadable addon like Intellidialer.

Ehud

Originally posted by bc022372
    However, it looks like you are wanting the phone to dial a default area code for you so you only have to enter XXX-XXXX when making a call, correct? I'm not exactly sure but it seems like the phone defaults to the area code that your cell phone number belongs to.
    I have a 305 area code which is mandatory 10 digit. I live in 603 which is 7 digit.

This is dissapointing coming from palm. I am very happy with the ppc thus far but there are a few things like this that are annoying.

Thanks for the help.

-rob

Whenever I travel to area codes other than my own, I have to enter 10 digits---even if I'm calling a number in the area code that I currently occupy. However, I think it's a Sprint thing since my last phone (which was a palm PDA) did it too.

On the treos (300,600,650) you can program a 3 digit prefix to be added to any 7 digit number.

The network still sees 10 digits, you just dont have to dial them.

-rob

Oh, I see. My last phone was the ancient SPH-I300.

One of the best of all time!

-rob

Administrator
    Originally posted by robber
    Spoke too soon. That did not accomplsih what I am trying to do. I have a 305 area code but live in a 603 area code. 603 still has 7 digit dialing- so I would like all 7 digit numbers inputted to be automatically prefixed by 603.

Any way to pull that off?

-rob
    sprint customers must dial 10 digits. just insert the area code in the number manually...

That is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I must not be explaining myself well. Why cant the ppc automatically prefix any 7 digit number dialed with a specified area code? Other phones can do it.

Also, Sprint is not mandatory 10 digit everywhere. My phones that have 603 area codes (7 digit dialing zone) can direct dieal with 7 digits- no area code needed.

-rob

Administrator
    rest assured the area code is dialed when the phone number is sent to the switch.. you may not have to physically enter it when you dial.. but it gets added...

i dont think there is any way around it. just go into you contacts and add the area code to the number there and then you dont have to dial it later...??!!

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Sigh.

I am resting assured that the numbering dialplan that MY provider selected is known to them, and that if they chose to allow permissive dialing then it works that way.

So in theory it could be either way. However:

The theory turns to PROOF when I am out of my area, if I dial just the 7 digits, it doesn't work. If I dial [my area code] and the 7 digits it does.

If it "magically" prepended the area code then I would never need to dial it for 7 digit numbers.

Cheers and all that.

E

You know, I've never run into this issue, since I've always used 10-digit dialing for my cell phones. Odd, really, since I don't need to do it on my landline (even though almost everywhere in jersey now requires it).
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    rest assured the area code is dialed when the phone number is sent to the switch.. you may not have to physically enter it when you dial.. but it gets added...

i dont think there is any way around it. just go into you contacts and add the area code to the number there and then you dont have to dial it later...??!!
    It is not an issue when dialing from contacts, just when making typical non repeat local calls.

The treos can do it. I was just hoping that the ppc could as well. Not a deal breaker by any means...

thanks for the help.

-rob

Administrator
    yeah well i guess i dont see the problem since i am used to dialing 10 digits and been doing so for decades... hopefully you will find a solution...