+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry why the f can i activesync and file xfer over bluetooth, but not network access????

this is positively driving me insane. i have a 6600 and a linksys usbbt100 bluetooth dongle. i want to use the pc as a gateway to the internet to surf via BT, and also be able to access network shares and view files on my local network. i am able to activesync just fine, and even access the internet via AS, all over BT. i can even do the file transfer profile. but for some godforsaken reason, it simply will not do network access.

here's the kicker: IT WORKED ONCE ABOUT A WEEK AGO AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED. I spent a late night learning about bluetooth and was able to get it to do everything i wanted. it accessed the internet, and shared files on 2 pc's. Then, next morning, it vanished forever. I did nothing more than go to bed for the night. No network changes, not even a reboot.

i have read the geekzone guides, i googled till my eyes bled. whenever i try to connect the network access profile, the icon would turn green briefly, then nothing. they are paired up, i have both zonealarm and windows firewalls switched off for now.

does anyone have this working? is there a better dongle?

Check this thread out.
    Belkin F8T003 Bluetooth, Win XP and LAN Access with PPC6600 -HELP-

Don't feel alone. I had the same thing. It worked once then never again. I've given up and gotten a wifi sdio card. If you do get it to work again let us know.

I think the key that got it to work for qu1nn is that he hard set his ip address on his pocket pc.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

go to start>settings and choose the connections tab. Click on the "connections" icon and choose the "advanced" tab. Click on "settings" button and change the "connect to the internet" from Verizon Woreless or Sprint to "My Work network". Then click okay and back out of all those menus.

If that doesn't help, I am as lost as you are.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Oh, one other thing - you need to have at some point gone to BT manager (click on the BT icon at the bottom tray) and click "new" and choose "active sync via BT". Follow the steps as you set this up.

When that is done, when you double click the new "active sync with computer-name" icon that is now in the BT manager, after it connects to active sync then you will also have internet via your desktop/laptop's internet connection.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Make sure your bluetooth connection and Broadband connection are bridged in the network setup.

could you be more specific on the behavior?

what are you bluetooth PAN settings?
    IP address range?
    what is your routers internal IP address?
    is your lan/bluetooth configured as a bridge or a ICS share?

are you able to ping?
    what do you get with vxutil as an ip address for the pocket pc?..

for me things are very very very specific.. my problems were exactly the SAME......but once I fiqured out the quirky behaviour AND followed the same procedure .... I have no longer had any problems.

dont give up....

for ****s and giggles did you try to delete the bluetooth settings on the ppc and try - again from scratch, as sometimes it seems to hold settings???

qu1nn
    HTC Mogul, ROM 3.35.651.2, RADIO 3.35.04 Protocol DCAAXAM-4350H, PRL 60610, HW 0003
    (former PPC6600 user; 2005-12/2007)

I am at a loss as well. I can:
    1) ActiveSync
    2) File Transfer
    3) Use DUN to get internet on my laptop from the phone

all with no problems at all. However, I cannot for the life of me get my PPC on my home network via BT->Laptop. It's all very odd, but then again, so is BT.

Originally posted by qu1nn
    >could you be more specific on the behavior?

>what are you bluetooth PAN settings?

Use specific IP
    IP: 192.168.2.40
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.2.1

Name Servers
    DNS: 192.168.0.1
    rest is empty

>IP address range?

i assume you are referring to the router's settings here

start 192.168.2.2
    end 192.168.2.40

>what is your routers internal IP address?

>is your lan/bluetooth configured as a bridge or a ICS share?

bridged, here are bridge properties

Physical Address: 02-0C-76-53-B1-86
    IP Address: 192.168.2.21
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server: 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained: 3/17/2005 11:42:20 PM
    Lease Expires: 1/18/2038 10:14:07 PM
    DNS Server: 192.168.2.1
    WINS Server:

i have tried both bridge and ics with no success, doesn't seem to make any difference

>are you able to ping?

nothing internally, but i can ping www.wired.com. it doesn't get a response, but it turns the text address into a numerical ip, might be my firewall blocking the reponses (yes i have tried shutting off all firewalls for this). btw i am connected via active sync when i ping wired.com

>what do you get with vxutil as an ip address for the pocket pc?..

if i am connected via activesync pass-thru it is 192.168.55.101, which according to vxutil matches the ip of both the widcomm bt null modem, and the serial on usb

if i disconnect activesync, it reverts to 127.0.0.1 according to vxutil

>dont give up....

no worries, I'm not smart enough to quit

>for ****s and giggles did you try to delete the bluetooth settings >on the ppc and try - again from scratch, as sometimes it seems >to hold settings???

if you mean deleting each BT shortcut on the ppc, repairing, and setting new shortcust, then yes, dozens of times. if you mean something else, i'm unsure

thanks for hanging with me!

i found this, basically involves replacing the widcomm stack. they're using an xda ii, don't know if it would work for us

http://en.pdamobiz.com/en/forum/foru...sp?TID=32&PN=1

can somebody smarter than me weigh in?

I'm going to chime in here my own two cents. I very much want to get PAN networking up; I don't need it to share my cable connection - activesync works fine for that. I need to be able to access my file shares on the host machien without the clunkiness of the FTP.

I can't get the damn thing to work at ALL
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

one thing i am able to do which i don't understand is bring up an internal web page. i have a program called dvarchive that pulls tv shows from my replaytv, and it has a web interface as a feature. i am able to bring up that page when connected via active sync, so i know i can see at least one thing on my LAN, but i can't ping, or see shares, or anything else.

Originally posted by btrcp2000
    Originally posted by qu1nn
    >could you be more specific on the behavior?

>what are you bluetooth PAN settings?

Use specific IP
    IP: 192.168.2.40
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.2.1

Name Servers
    DNS: 192.168.0.1
    rest is empty

(my DNS server is the DNS server that is given to me by my cable company!, it is NOT an internal IP address but part of the adelphia network ie 24.48.x.x.. You should be able to see what your routers DNS is by looking at ITS SETUP.

>IP address range?

i assume you are referring to the router's settings here

start 192.168.2.2
    end 192.168.2.40

I have a RANGE OF ADDRESSES that ALLOW for DHCP. Say for example set it up to to allow 192.168.2.45 to 192.168.2.50

>what is your routers internal IP address?

>is your lan/bluetooth configured as a bridge or a ICS share?

bridged, here are bridge properties

Physical Address: 02-0C-76-53-B1-86
    IP Address: 192.168.2.21
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server: 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained: 3/17/2005 11:42:20 PM
    Lease Expires: 1/18/2038 10:14:07 PM
    DNS Server: 192.168.2.1
    WINS Server:

I initially had my LAN NIC and BLUETOOTH LAN set up for DHCP.
    Then I rebooted, and THEN SETUP THE NETWORK BRIDGE and REBOOTED AGAIN.....This then pulled IP addresses from the DHCP server!... you should be able to verify this by looking at the routers logs (or released IP addresses)

i have tried both bridge and ics with no success, doesn't seem to make any difference

>are you able to ping?

nothing internally, but i can ping www.wired.com. it doesn't get a response, but it turns the text address into a numerical ip, might be my firewall blocking the reponses (yes i have tried shutting off all firewalls for this). btw i am connected via active sync when i ping wired.com

>what do you get with vxutil as an ip address for the pocket pc?..

if i am connected via activesync pass-thru it is 192.168.55.101, which according to vxutil matches the ip of both the widcomm bt null modem, and the serial on usb

if i disconnect activesync, it reverts to 127.0.0.1 according to vxutil

I have had the exact results when I was using Active sync and Network files.)

>dont give up....

no worries, I'm not smart enough to quit

>for ****s and giggles did you try to delete the bluetooth settings >on the ppc and try - again from scratch, as sometimes it seems >to hold settings???

if you mean deleting each BT shortcut on the ppc, repairing, and setting new shortcust, then yes, dozens of times. if you mean something else, i'm unsure

no problem...someone hung in there for me so I think it is only the right thing to do, especially as I will need help again someday

Aslo if you give the dhcp on the router / LAN a shot remember to do ample reboots. It is also CRITICAL that on the PPC
    1) you have bluetooth OFF
    2)you shut off vision (that puts the ip back at 127.0.0.1),
    3) start vision back up
    4) then do a soft boot
    5) Start bluetooth quickly
    6) try to log into the network share.....
    (( for me if anything is out of sequence it will not work))

also remember to initially shut off your firewalls until you can actually connect to the network shares on a consistent, repeatable basis. Then at a later time go into the firewall and allow the required services. (I use Computer Associates E-trust suite... I allow full access for all of the BT stuff)

GOOD LUCK

thanks for hanging with me!
    HTC Mogul, ROM 3.35.651.2, RADIO 3.35.04 Protocol DCAAXAM-4350H, PRL 60610, HW 0003

Originally posted by btrcp2000
    one thing i am able to do which i don't understand is bring up an internal web page. i have a program called dvarchive that pulls tv shows from my replaytv, and it has a web interface as a feature. i am able to bring up that page when connected via active sync, so i know i can see at least one thing on my LAN, but i can't ping, or see shares, or anything else.
    This is because of the http proxy function of activesync. activesync will pass through most internet protocols including http and aim. what it won't do is pass through netbeui, as far as I can tell, so you can't access network shares.
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

okay, came home to try these ideas, and now my bluetooth icon is gone from the pc's system tray, and i can't pair or active sync

reboots don't help. now wtf happened?

okay, got icon back. bttray.exe is checked to startup in msconfig, don't know why it won't start on its own, but that's a bridge for jumping off later

that is new.
    sometimes i have noticed that upon a boot that some of icons dont come up for like 5 minutes.

i dont know if it is done on purpose to allow the firewalls, antivirus, and networking stuff to stabilize.

but then again you may be having some kind of windows conflict. be patient.

you may have to reinstall the lan side software....

may the schwartz be with you.
    dont forget to thank b.gates.

qu1nn.

New Behavior....

Hi-All

I think that I found a new behaviour....which is due to my setup;

Why do I have to perform the fancy bluetooth OFF > Flight Mode ON > Flight Mode off > SOFT Reset > Bluetooth ON > Access network share....

Well try this on for size (all on PPC)
    1) Settings > CONNECTIONS > Advanced Tab > Select Networks BUTTON > under " program that automagically connects to the internet" > NEW > Name it "bluie" > Select a modem > Bluetooth Dialup Modem > under "enter the number exactly as it should be dialed..." type "connect" (just try it) > NEXT > select ADVANCED BUTTON > fill in the user name and pass that your would use to connect to the network share (dont worry about domain - at least in my case) > SELECT TCP/IP TAB > ensure that use -servier assigned IP is selected > Under the SERVERS TAB ensure that use server assigned addresses is selected > select OK > FINISH > OK

Now directly under the "programs that automagically connect to the internet using" should be "bluie"

then under " programs that automagically connect to a private netowork should connect using " bluie"
    (no changes are necessary - it is remembered)....

Select OK (upper right)

---------- phew------
    now quickly go to SETTINGS > CONFIGURE NETWORK ADAPTERS:

my network card connects to "select WORK" > then select Bluetooth PAN USER DRIVER > Ensure you set your specific IP, subnet, ang gateway (would be your router), and under the NAME SERVERS TAB ensure that you set up your DNS and ALT DNS as per your internet service providers instuctions.
    select OK in the upper right hand corner and you will see a window POP up " the next time the adapter is used it will have the new settings. If the adapter is currently in the device you can......." Select OK.

Select the drop down arrow and Repeat for "THE INTERNET" .... you MUST GO THROUGH THE MOTIONS DESCRIBED ABOVE..... then select OK

Turn ON bluetooth >
    Start Bluetooth manager >
    hold down on your previously created shortcut icon created throught the "browse for services > network access bit....... and select CONNECT
    watch your lan ICON.....stays blue

there is usually about a 20 second wait until the icon shows that I am connected, use vxUTIL to verify pingability of internet, and local devices....
    ---------------------------

I noticed this "behaviour" as I was goofing around while I was listening to streaming music while attached to my network.....I was using the cable modem instead of VISION (because of my setup as described above)...then I deleted the "bluetooth modem" and low and behold my connection to the internet dropped! and I had that old behaviour of blue/green icon to blue/white icon as seen on the LAN....

now there is another behaviour to pay attention to as well.
    Say that you are able to sucessfully connect to the network share....and the device goes to sleep (or you quickly press power - to shut off the display) you will LOOSE YOUR CONNECTION as seen on the LAN & PPC... using vxUTIL you will notice your ip went back to the loopback address of 127.0.0.1. you should be able to quickly re-connect but WAIT a new behaviour!!! SOMETIMES under a situation that I have NOT been able to narrow down ...yet you WILL get the notification that the device cannot connect ...using "bluie" modem settings.....DONT FEAR .... STOP BLUETOOTH and then repeat the configure NETWORK ADAPTER steps exactly as described above, you should then be able to re-start bluetooth, and log into the network share.......

Oh when you are totally done, and you want to use VISION AGAIN, remember to go back to SETTINGS>CONNECTIONS>ADVANCED > SELECT NETWORKS > and change programs that automagically connect to the internet BACK TO SPRINT ....

ouch, my fingers hurt.
    good luck
    qu1nn

(please post back results)

I hope this helps you out...

I tried the above settings, and I couldn't get it to work

another wasted evening. i went through what you suggested several times, and the only difference is now i can get it to connect to the BT shortcut "Internet via Office". It takes about 15-20 seconds, and it's useless because it doesn't allow me access to shares or the internet, but it says it's connected.

while it is connected, vxutil reports that it has an ip that is different from what i specified under BT Pan settings, and is also not being assigned by my router, becfause nothing shows up related to the ppc in the router's security log. it appears to be using the settings for BT null modem (not widcomm bt null modem). i wonder if i can get rid the bt null modem somehow? do i have to hard reset again?

this absolutely sucks.