+ Reply to Thread

Dropped calls: Sprint or PPC6600?

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone else has problems with dropped calls. I am not sure if the culprit is the PPC or Sprint. I usually turn off the screen so I don't accidentally hit "end call" but it almost seems that it's when the screen is turned off that the calls drop the most often.

I hope it's Sprint and not the PPC, as then I could just switch to Verizon.

Any ideas?

I notice a problem when I cover the antenna on the back of the unit....... Now Sprint claims there is no antenna on the back, at least that is what they said in the store.......... but if I cover the area on top left, my signal drops WAY down!
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

If you're in a good signal area then it's the PPC phone. The internal antenna is very finicky, and can easily be nade worse by covering the antenna's general region with your hands, case, etc.

I've complained previously about the reliability of the phone portion of these devices. I haven't given out my PPC6600 number to anyone. I'm happy receiving all my voice calls to the Moto v551. My PPC6601 is being used as a pocket pc, and data connection when needed.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    If you use a different file explorer such as the (free) Total Commander or Resco Explorer, you will find \windows\FieldTrial.exe

This program will happily tell you the signal strength, updated at least once a second.

This is what I used to compare cases, and to quit using the aluminum case.

PPC held vertical: -84dbm
    PPC same but with hand on back: -91dbm

PPC on table: -84m
    PPC same but with hand on back: -94

-3dbm means 1/2 signal. -6dbm means 1/2 of 1/2 signal = 1/4 the original signal.

CLEARLY and repeatedly, putting my hand on the back of the PPC-6600 causes a 75% loss in signal strength. This means that holding it flat in the hand is a NOT-Good way to continue the conversation...

Further experimentation shows little degradation covering the front (2-3dbm), little degradation over back right half (as viewed from the front) and major degradation over back left half (as viewed from the front).

I think Gameboy and TonyH should rest assured that the repeatable scientific study (conducted by me in a non-blind study with no sponsorship and one margarita) confirms their thesis

E
    p.s. I've tried to be as helpful as I know how. If there's anything more I can do other than coming to your house, holding your phone for you, and blowing the data bits further with my last dying breath, please let me know.

Out Of Control PPC User merkman's Avatar
    I use my PPC-6601 in lots of different areas. 99% of the time the phone works great. But there is an area my phone FREQUENTLY drops calls.

In my office, while I'm sitting in my chair, holding the phone, with ALL MY COMPUTER STUFF around. Frequently, I've tried standing up and moving around the house, wondering if the computer, bluetooth, wireless networking, 5.8GHz cordless phone, or other items were causing the dropped call. But it never occured to me my hand might be causing the problem.

And here's the kicker... I'm LEFT handed. So I hold the phone to my left ear, and could easily be covering the "antenna" that Ehud mentions.

I guess now that I'm "armed" with this information, a little "wardriving" will be needed... if you'll forgive the misuse of the term. Maybe I just need to hold the phone differently when I'm in a call.

More as I know more...
    Cingular 8525 with Black 3.0.1 ROM (WM6)
    Paired: Sony MEX-BT2500 (car stereo w/ audio streaming, it's AWESOME!), i.Trek GPS w/ i.Guidence software, a few PC's

Originally posted by Ehud
    I think Gameboy and TonyH should rest assured that the repeatable scientific study (conducted by me in a non-blind study with no sponsorship and one margarita) confirms their thesis

Thank you, Ehud, for that "sientific" hand measurement of SSI in dBm. How can anyone dispute that? You're just one of a kind

p.s. I've tried to be as helpful as I know how. If there's anything more I can do other than coming to your house, holding your phone for you, and blowing the data bits further with my last dying breath, please let me know.
    LOL. I think I know what this is about. You were indeed praised as one of the helpful users on this forum in the other thread. Now I can also say that you're extremely modest

Computer Dialing with XV6600