+ Reply to Thread

File/printer sharing with wmodem

This is a bit esoteric, so I don't know if anyone will have any ideas, but it's worth a shot.

I'm using the USBWModem program to access the Internet from my Windows laptop using the XV6600 as a modem, and it works pretty darn well (on 1X it's not really usable, but on EVDO it's not bad).

The problem I'm having is that I want to access a remote Windows file share from the laptop, and it doesn't work. I'm assuming that this this is because when I look at the properties of the USB WModem CDMA network connection, "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" isn't checked. But when I try to check it, the next time I connect, it unchecks itself.

Does anyone know if it's possible to access remote file shares in this manner?

Best,
    Martin

Club Pocket PC Louisville JohnBecker's Avatar
    Turning on file and printer sharing would only be for incoming connections. If I read correctly, you want to access a share that's located on something else.

"I want to access a remote Windows file share from the laptop"

I'm a little confused on exactly what you want to do. If it's a true share, it wouldn't be on the Internet, but on a network. The modem connects to the Internet. How about a little more information and we'll see what we can do about an answer.

Okay, I'll give some more details. The thing I'm trying to access is in fact a Samba share on a server in my office. When I'm on my cable modem connection at home, I can access this share by going to Start->Run and typing \\ip_address\share_name and pressing Enter. What I'm saying is that this doesn't work with the XV6600 connection -- it comes back with a "server not found" type message.

I thought that the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" item in the connection properties might have had something to do with it, but it sounds like you're saying that only applies to sharing your own stuff, not accessing other shared stuff.

Let me know if there are any other details I can provide.

Thanks,
    Martin

Where is your office? Are you connected to your office through a vpn? Do you mean at home you have an office with a share on it?

Am I able to type in
    \\ip_address\share name and see that share? If I can that means that you are sharing that file over the internet and that would probably be bad.

I am guessing that you have to vpn into your office to get to the samba share. If that is the case then you'll have to start up the vpn on your laptop as well. That should work.

In essence I think we need still more details.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Never mind, stupid mistake on my part. Thanks for your time.

Club Pocket PC Louisville JohnBecker's Avatar
    Yes, I was beginning to think it was something to do with a VPN.