+ Reply to Thread

Poll: Correlating Loose Keyboard w/Cases having plastic over keyboard (Piel, others)

Many people have a problem with loose keyboards on the xv6600. At least one person on the forum has raised the following question which I will paraphrase:

"Is it possible that the extra pressure caused by the plastic keyboard cover on cases like Piel, Covertec, Krussel, others is putting more pressure on the xv6600 keyboard locking mechanism and causing the problem. If you never used a case like this, would you still get a loose keyboard?"

For any of you with a loose keyboard, did you use a cover with plastic over the keyboard or not? If you DID use a cover with plastic, how many times during a day or week do you pull-out the keyboard? The answers from everyone will help solve the mystery.

Thanks, this is a great forum and I plan to post some tips and useful information I've learned within the next few weeks.

Well, I don't think there's really a mystery here. The way that the mechanism is designed, it will become loose eventually. You have two moving parts rubbing against each other. Their surfaces will eventually break down and become loose against each other. Its just physics.

What makes the problem worse for some are secondary factors, like a plastic covering on the keyboard, how many times you pull the keyboard out and how tight the mechanism is when you get it. For example, I am less likely to have the problem become serious due to the fact that (1) my device was extremely tight when I got it - pretty hard to move the keyboard, (2) I don't use a plastic keyboard covering case and (3) I don't use the keyboard very much.

Physics versus experience

Dale, thanks for the response. As a technical engineering type myself and an old long-time geek, I appreciate your comment on it being a question of physics. No doubt the design isn't very strong.

What I was trying to get at, in light of this, is the experience of folks. The failure rate/time period can only be determined by people sharing their experiences.

The question is, based on experience, what are the odds that using the case with plastic will exacerbate this problem. For example, if 10 people had the problem within a few weeks of using a plastic case, whereas 100 who never used a plastic case still do not have the problme after 3 or 4 months, that would tell us something.

Factors:
    XV6600
    Krussell plastic-over-keys case
    Purchased Phone: 15 Dec 04
    Purchased Case: 18 Dec 04
    Keyboard use: Open/close 5-15 times per day (more during week, less on weekends)
    Phone is in the case all day every day and comes out in the evenings (reading in bed) and mornings (during charging).

I find my over-the-keyboard case keeps the keyboard quite snug while in the case (zero lateral play and high friction slide).

My phone, when out of the case has no lateral play and a smoother slide than when in the case. Still a noticeable amount of friction in transit and a noticeable lockout at the extreme.

Without instrumentation it's hard to compare, but if it takes me 11 oz of pressure to slide the keyboard while in the case(more than its weight), it takes me 9 oz of pressure when the keyboard is not in the case (slightly more than its weight).

There is about 1-2 mm of play along the slide axis when out of the case. It it notceable by feel, but visually nearly imperceptable.

Hope that gives you some feedback.
    Last edited by Kupe; 03-18-2005 at 02:12 PM.

thanks that's helpful

So yours is one data point that says frequent keyboard usage (5 to 10 times a day) with the plastic in there doesn't necessarily cause the loose keyboard problem. Thanks for the input.

I suspect I'm not sure what a "loose keyboard" is. I just described how my keyboard "feels" - does that mean it's not loose? What would a "loose keyboard" description entail?

good point

Nobody has really defined what is meant by loose keyboard but a number of people have written about the problem.

I assumed that by loose keyboard people meant the keyboard might be so loose as to unfold or nearly unfold, from the phone without dislodging it. So you might be on the phone and the friction is so little that the keyboard begins to inch its way out.

I

i open my keyboard 30-40 times a day if not more.... i use it often. i use the standard case but have the krussell coming next week. i notice my board will slide open less than an inch by itself..... but that is all. i have jad the phone for 8 weeks i think....
    great thread by the way...
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

excellent data point thanks

Obviously this is unscientific so far and I realize I am hyper analyzing the thing. With that said there is at least one data point emerging (from few data points admittedly).

The trend in what has been shared so far says that the plastic over the keyboard may in fact slow-down the problem not speed it up. Obviously the added pressure of the plastic creates more tension and tightens things when there is a problem.

Kupe's experience shows a still reasonably tight keyboard after quite a bit of use on a phone which has primarily "lived on plastic." One might conclude then that getting a case with the plastic cover might be a good thing overall. Aside from the benefits of friction, others have said that the plastic on the keyboard also makes the keyboard easier to use, not harder.

Gameboy123's experience says that, if you use the phone keyboard frequently without plastic, it still loosens (opens less than an inch by itself.)

So as-expected HTC has nobody to blame but themselves on failures in the friction design and plastic may be a good thing not a bad thing in several respects.