+ Reply to Thread

bluetooth to IR Repeater for purpose of Remote Control

Hello,

I did some googling, but I didnt find what I was looking for.

I would like to use the ppc-6600 to be able to run a script to turn on TV, Receiver, Stereo, etc....
    but since the range is ONLY < 10 ft, this does NOT seem to be too viable.

I have seen devices there there is an IR repeater that plugs into the stereo jack of the ppc, however this would not work with the aluminum case that I have (judging by the size, looks kinda bukly - I dont think that it would fit with the case flipped open)

It would be cool (really really cool) if there was a bluetooth IR repeater....slap a 9V battery in the device, let it sit closer to the AV equipment, walk into the room with the PPC-6600 (it is always on me), sit down in the captains chair and launch applicaiton that acts as a remote control. If this does not exist, someone should think about making it (do I get any royalities? )
    Why bluetooth?
    Cause it is already there!

qu1nn
    HTC Mogul, ROM 3.35.651.2, RADIO 3.35.04 Protocol DCAAXAM-4350H, PRL 60610, HW 0003
    (former PPC6600 user; 2005-12/2007)

bump
    HTC Mogul, ROM 3.35.651.2, RADIO 3.35.04 Protocol DCAAXAM-4350H, PRL 60610, HW 0003
    (former PPC6600 user; 2005-12/2007)

Don't know of any such thing--sorry! Also, the IR port in the 6600 is FIR and not CIR, which means its range is pitiful. You have to be within a foot or two of the device's IR receiver for it to work.

If you're willing to spend the time and money you could check out a program called NoviiRemote. They sell an SDIO card that has a high-power IR transmitter in it and software that you can totally customize to control all of your stuff.

A BT to IR repeater is a neat idea, but the demand just isn't there... and doubtfull will ever be. BT is still such a niche, and it's buggy and prone to strange "issues" (as we can all attest to). Wireless USB is expected to dominate once it's released... for a lot of reasons but one is that it's royalty-free (unlike Bluetooth and Firewire).

Dan

It can be done, but it is a ton of work. Check out http://www.promixis.com/ for girder and netremote. Netremote lets you use your PPC over wifi to send commands, playlists, etc to your PC. You can also do this over bluetooth network but it is harder, very sparsely documented and takes a lot of work. With girder and an IR blaster you can get your bluetooth output from your PPC to be interpreted by netremote, which in turn hands it off to girder which outputs it via the IR blaster to whatever device you want to control.
    iPhone 3GS !!