+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GPS on airplane

GPS on airplane

I'm going to Hawaii in a couple weeks - Whoo-Hoo.

I'd like to track the trip in the plane.

I have Mapopolis which so far is awesome compared to others I tried.

But of course there is no map of the pacific.

Is there any free software or cheap commerical software that I can see the progress of the long long flight?

Like just showing my point on the globe?

Also do you think XT mode on the Fortuna will work in the plane?

More converged than ever!
    All of the Hawaii flights I've been on (Delta / United) have the 'moving map' as one of the video selections. You won't need to have the GPS enroute; only to find your way once you get there! Enjoy your trip. Post pictures, let us know what the data network connections are like.

PS. If you're going to Maui, visit Mama's Fish House. You'll thank me later.
    Used to be a Kyo fan, anyway. A "Smartphone" user since adding a modem card to my HP95 Pocket Computer (1992).

General GPS chips have a limiter in them that they dont work above a certain altitude, to prevent from GPS being used for home made cruse missels.

"Commercial GPS receivers are also required to have limits on the velocities and altitudes at which they will report fix coordinates; this is to prevent them from being used to create improvised cruise or ballistic missiles."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS#Applications

I don't know "general" my GPS chips are, but I have frequently used my yellow DeLorme GPS antenna and mapping software on my laptop while flying commercial airlines. It is permitted on Delta (I don't use my Bluetooth / Powerpack while onboard, just with a USB cable) and it works great.

PS. If anyone reading this is planning to make a home made 'cruse missel,' please disregard my posting. As far as you know, the limiter works.
    Last edited by Kyo7135Fan; 03-20-2005 at 10:16 AM.
    Used to be a Kyo fan, anyway. A "Smartphone" user since adding a modem card to my HP95 Pocket Computer (1992).

Same is true with my Magellan handheld GPS and my BT enabled GPS. Both GPSs provide altitude, speed and location for up to 43000 feet and 600 mph. Retail GPSs are used in private aviation all the time. It makes me wonder who made the misleading entry at wikipedia.

You may have difficulty getting enough satellites inside the plane. You need three for position, four for position and altitude.
    The frequency is relatively high, and your antenna may not have enough gain to see them through the plane's skin.

If it were me, there's not enough of a draw to warrant briging along the hardware. Travel lean, I always say. Also, what difference does it make? Does it really matter how you traversed the Pacific?

-BD

General GPS chips have a limiter in them that they dont work above a certain altitude, to prevent from GPS being used for home made cruse missels.
    That's why I prefer Sharks with frikkin lasers on their heads.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    *lol* MSWLOGO: you know better

E

So is bluetooth illegal to use on the plane?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Since I am not licensed to practice law wherever the reader of this forum may be, I'm obliged to point out that you should consult an attorney to get legal representation and advice.

That having been said, the FAA has not yet ruled on the permissibility of bluetooth signals in an aircraft, and in the absence of such ruling, those transmissions are not allowed.

There are various articles you can find which waste your time discussing the obvious, but the salient fact is that the FAA has not yet ruled on it.

Cheers,

Ehud
    p.s. I'm not licensed to perform plumbing work in your area either.

Originally posted by konnector
    That's why I prefer Sharks with frikkin lasers on their heads.
    That must be the Alan Parsons Project...or Preparation H...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GPS on airplane-dr.-evil-small.jpg  
    Jeremiah 29:11

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Where did you find that MW, I love it!
    Mike - Been Converged?

Sickwidit
    Originally posted by BrunDog
    You may have difficulty getting enough satellites inside the plane. You need three for position, four for position and altitude.
    The frequency is relatively high, and your antenna may not have enough gain to see them through the plane's skin.

-BD
    The 5 mile elevation that you get when in a plane is more than enough, I've use both regular and bluetooth gps units in commercial planes without any problems. Having said that I would check to make sure that it's ok, I wouldn't want to hear about you on the news one night
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Another plus with the DeLorme (without the BT sled) is that it fits under the window shade and is held securely in place by it ...

Originally posted by Convergent
    Where did you find that MW, I love it!
    google images, "dr. evil". Google--has all the answers for lifes meaningless issues...

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    Originally posted by mwfielder
    google images, "dr. evil". Google--has all the answers for lifes meaningless issues...
    Yes but it appears Dr. Evil is just the figure head for the real "man" behind the scenes......

SLOPPYCHACHI!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, there is a knock at the door.....

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thud.

I had always figured sloppy was really mini-me! Have you ever noticed how mini-me waddles when he walks....

And he keeps asking for ONE.....MILLLIIOOOONN....DOLLLLLARS!

Originally posted by patcat88

"Commercial GPS receivers are also required to have limits on the velocities and altitudes at which they will report fix coordinates; this is to prevent them from being used to create improvised cruise or ballistic missiles."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS#Applications
    My TOMTOM GPS unit worked great on my flight from NY to CA. It was awesome to track the flight.

Originally posted by that_kid
    The 5 mile elevation that you get when in a plane is more than enough, I've use both regular and bluetooth gps units in commercial planes without any problems. Having said that I would check to make sure that it's ok, I wouldn't want to hear about you on the news one night
    Huh?

What does the elevation have to do with it? It means nothing that you are 5 miles closer to satellites which are 150 miles up...

And if you used these units and didn't crash the plane, why do you recommend that he gets clearance (suggesting that he may become a statistic)??

Clarity, people!

-BD

Personally, I don't see how operating any type of radio frequency reciever could interfere with a plane, but I'm not an EE, and if it could, I'm not flying anymore.

The GPS birds are up around 12,500mi by the way (20,200km).
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter