+ Reply to Thread

Mac user, Treo 650 or PPC6600-Which to buy?

I have a Mac G5 and use Panther OS, and I'm in the market for a PDA phone. I've narrowed the search down to a Treo 650 or PPC6600. People seem to prefer the 6600 over the 650, but I haven't seen a lot of input regarding the compatibility with a Mac. I'm open to either one at this point, but can anybody shed some light on this subject?

I am solely a Mac user and have the 6600. I highly recommend the pair. I have not tried the treo, but my experience with the compatibility as far as the 6600 go have been good. I use Pocket Mac Pro for bluetooth syncing and file transfers. If you have any specific questions feel free to email me etc..

Bill
    Freedom Isn't Free, Never Forget 9/11

eng50

That's great to hear. I'm leaning toward the 6600 anyway. Is the Pocket Mac Pro an application that I need to purchase?

Thanks,

Kay

Yes it is a pay for program...
    http://www.pocketmac.net/products.html
    There is also another called the missing sync, do a search here and you will find several peoples comparisson of the two. Pocket Mac works for me best.

Bill
    Freedom Isn't Free, Never Forget 9/11

Pocket Mac Pro or Missing Sync

If you need to sync with Entourage, then you need Pocket Mac Pro. If you only use the built-in calendar and mail, then the Missing Sync is good. Neither program offers a trial. So do your research first. I use Pocket Mac Pro, for what it does it is a good investment, just horribly slow in mounting, synching etc. On the bright side, it does allow you to sync with iPhoto, and even better iTunes!
    Ask away if you have any other questions.

Tom
    To most people, the sky is the limit.
    To those who love flight, the sky is home

I use Missing Sync for Pocket PC with my XV6600 and isync on a 12" powerbook, and it works great. It also provides internet on the pocket PC when connected, by using the Mac's internet connection.

I have even been able to connect to the mac with bluetooth, and surf the net on the PPC through the mac's 802.11g broadband internet connection!
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

PS: I switched from a Treo 600 which I really liked, but I didn't want a treo 650 with it's new memory problems - I had already tried a T5 and had problems that required me to return it, so I knew the 650 wouldn't fly. But, I needed bluetooth and a PDA, so XV won out.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Yesterday I got the 6600 and ordered the pocket mac pro today, so time will tell. Thanks for the input. So far, I love the phone.