Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Enhanced SMS Application (ALPHA)

Well, I know there was all sorts of interest in a better SMS application. I had started playing around with it, and it turned into a real project for me.

I am looking for people who would like to alpha/beta test it. I am also looking for serious feedback about options and features that people would like to see.

If you are interested PM me and I will give you more details. If you just want to drop off some ideas, post them here.

OK, I'll start.

1. Text message conversations created in a window:
    This is the Treo implementation. The conversation starts when someone replies to your SMS message or when you reply to one. From that point on, all previous messages are available for viewing, copying, etc. It resembles a Instant Message conversation.

2. Support phone numbers AND email addresses alike. Messages from email addresses seen as userID@domain and not 6245! When you reply, it should not require you to re-enter the userID@domain.

3. Unique notification sound -- distinguishing it from other email notices.

4. Preserve features of the built-in app.

- Notification on the Today screen
    - Save/Sent Messages queues
    - Easy access to contact list numbers and email addresses
    - Keep track of the number of characters
    - Break up into multiple messages, as necessary

5. Reply with and without history.

6. Call sender option

7. Recently used SMS numbers or email addresses available.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    Tabbed windows to keep conversations separate, yet easily accessible (a la Agile Messenger).
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

XV6600 - Verizon
    The chat thing is the number one thing for me. I've been waiting for someone to do that for a while.

The only other request I have is that any phone numbers listed in the messages can be click-to-dial.
    XV6600 - Verizon / SPB PocketPlus / SPB Weather / Resco / Agile Messenger / Vindigo / Voice Command / Clearvue PDF / Roboform / PockerRSS / BetaPlayer

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Disable the Return-Receipt feature systemwide, but allow reseting it per message.

If that can't be done, having a toggle that "swallows" all incoming delivery reports and puts them in deleted items

E

beryl hit it on the head for me!
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

Originally posted by Ehud
    Disable the Return-Receipt feature systemwide, but allow reseting it per message.

If that can't be done, having a toggle that "swallows" all incoming delivery reports and puts them in deleted items

E
    Can't you disable this in registry? I saw the key a while back while digging through it.

I am on Sprint, and I can't get a delivery receipt no matter what I try! Feast or famine, I guess.

-BD

E
    AND OF COURSE AN AUTOMATIC LINK TO PHONE NUMBERS IN MESSAGES!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ehud (your quote above):

Can't you disable this in registry? I saw the key a while back while digging through it.

I am on Sprint, and I cant get a delivery notification no matter what I do! Feast or famine, the best of no worlds, I guess!

-BD

Can't disable it in registry. It's a permanent "feature". XV6600.

E

No? What about:

HKCU\ControlPanel\PhoneExtendFunction\CDMA\SMSNotify?

-BD

What about it. This topic has been beaten to death. It doesn't work.

E

Oh.

Well, what can I say. I like it when it gets beat.

-BD

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar

E [/B]
    oh yeah...good call

I got so used to hitting delete on that stupid message that I forgot about it!
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

Hi Tech Trader
    A Treo five way like interface for controlling everything, the idea being that if you are texting, you are *probably* using the thumboard, and using the stylus for fundamental functions would be awkward.

Hi Tech Trader
    Also a button in the dialer to launch the app would be nice for newbies, give the phone a nice integrated feel. Maybe password protect certain chat threads for extra privacy.

BTW I would pay up to 30 dollars for this app if it does all the above, is rock stable, and allows contact lookup via T9, like contact breeze.

I vote for

1) being able to reply to an SMS that came from an email, with it going to the address it came from - without having to reformat the message "email (subject) body" and then send back through 6245

2) being able to click to dial a number that occurs inside the body of the SMS

3) running conversations like an IM
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Small update...

1) I've got the capture working for all SMS, and I display it like IM
    2) I parse out phone numbers that match certain criteria, and they are clickable to call.

The other features, I'll look into them. I should have a pretty stable beta available within a week.

Hi Tech Trader
    You sir, are my new messiah. I have wandered for many days and nights looking for a programmer that would bring word from on high of the IM like text message.

Seriously, great job! I'll be first (of many, I'm sure) in line to buy the release version.

Great news! Can't wait to see it!
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

I'm in as well and will pay for it x2 (wife's unit as well). Still transitioning over from Treo and am using in excess of 200 text messages a month; I will be hurting when on the VX full time. Plz keep us posted.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast