+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Webis Mail 2.1 (release version) available

Just noticed that the release version of 2.1 is now available:

http://www.pocketinformant.com/p_webismail.php?tab=3

This is version 2.1 (Build 4042), dated 3/20/05. I have installed it and am trying it out... hopefully it will take care of that nasty storage bug.
    Sprint PPC-6601, ROM 3500, Akono HBH-300

I'm not too optimistic. Here's a copy of the email I just sent to the developers:
    I note that version 2.1, released 3/20/2005, is now available on Handango. Does it address the issue of the ever-expanding data files? I am more than a little concerned, as it is reported in this thread http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forum...showtopic=6682
    titled "Folder Size question, Overly large data files" that version 2.1 beta 3 does not correct the issue. If the issue has not been resovled, are you actually working on it, and when do you expect to fix it?
    Thanks
    This was a follow-up to my earlier emails reporting the problem.
    Mick

I installed this version

and will test and update based on what I see, I've updated my post earlier referencing Webis to note this potential issue.

Anybody else feeling that one thing missing from this program is a selection of 10 frequently used phrases? Even the standard pocket outlook has this for fields like phone numbers and addresses and the like. I also like to state when I reply to emails that I am on my pocket PC away from my desktop so the message may be short. It's nice to click and select a few things to prevent having to type them.

Just something I wish they had.
    Phone: Treo 700w
    History: XV6600 -> Treo 700w -> XV6800 -> Treo 700w again.

Here's a workaround someone posted on the Webis Mail Forum for the data folder bug:
    I believe that Mail doesn't currently clear out it deleted mail from its folders (needs a compact type function). This has been mentioned before. The work around is to delete all the files in your data folder (apart from settings.ini) when Mail is closed. You will regain your space and Mail will create the storage for you next time you run mail.
    See http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=6682
    Mick

Originally posted by MajesticNJ
    Anybody else feeling that one thing missing from this program is a selection of 10 frequently used phrases? Even the standard pocket outlook has this for fields like phone numbers and addresses and the like. I also like to state when I reply to emails that I am on my pocket PC away from my desktop so the message may be short. It's nice to click and select a few things to prevent having to type them.

Just something I wish they had.
    It's another program, but try Taptext from Dinarsoft. I use it regularly, and you can program as many phrases as you want.

Search it at PalmGear.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Maybe this would work as a work-around the ever growing inbox problem.

Create one mail service (account) to be stored on the card and not in the local Inbox. It can be a bogus account that is never checked. When your mail comes in, move what you want to folders defined to that account on the card.

When your inbox gets too big, delete all but the SETTINGS.INI file in \Program Files\Web IS\Data. Hopefully, WebIS will still be able to read the storage card account.

This only works if you install WebIS to Main Memory because that is the only way you get a \Program Files\Web IS\Data directory holding the local inbox. Otherwise, it all goes to \Storage Card\Web IS\Data and it is hard to tell which file goes to which mail service.

I sent an inquiry to the developer about this work-around.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

is the release version any faster? On my 6601 it takes FOREVER to delete mail, and to download....... when PO takes just a few seconds........
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

I tried the workaround. My account settings stayed put, but I cannot retrieve messages from any of my outlook folders.

Originally posted by Swap
    I tried the workaround. My account settings stayed put, but I cannot retrieve messages from any of my outlook folders.

Dang! Can you access your messages from Poutlook or is that hosed too?

I set WebIS to ignore my Poutlook folder (ActiveSync) because it trashed its own folders.

I just used the following procedure to delete the excess mail form the Local Folder with a minimum of hassle. I don't use Poutlook because it doesn't work with my ISP, so don't know what the effect is on Poutlook.
    1) Be sure Webis Mail is closed.
    2) Use Resco File Explorer to determine which two files are the largest--although not labelled, these are likely the local inbox and deleted folders--then delete them.
    3) Open Webis Mail.
    4) When a popup appears to notify you that the local folders can't be found, select "recreate folders" (it's the 3d choice), and tap OK.
    Worked for me--as with all workarounds, YMMV.
    Given the fact that the developer is ignoring messages in his own forum relating to this issue, while responding to other issues in the same message string, I would be surprised if they have any intention of fixing it.
    Mick
    Wishing SnapperMail were available for PPC

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Does it support 3-levels and more of folders?

E

Originally posted by Beryl
    Dang! Can you access your messages from Poutlook or is that hosed too?

I set WebIS to ignore my Poutlook folder (ActiveSync) because it trashed its own folders.
    All hosed. I guess I need to set them all up again..

Think I'm going to check out profimail. I'll report back once I've spent some time with it. I wonder why webis mail gets more attention... we'll see.

@swap
    I'm really not liking what you've reported. Poutlook, though functionally limited, has been reliable for me. WebIS has no business messing up Poutlook's data.

I hope you've reported this to the developer and posted it on their forum also.

Originally posted by Swap

Think I'm going to check out profimail. I'll report back once I've spent some time with it. I wonder why webis mail gets more attention... we'll see.
    One thing that I really didn't like about profimail is that you can only download the headers or the entire message - no option to download header + x kb.
    Sprint PPC-6601, ROM 3500, Akono HBH-300

Here's the response I received from Webis Tech Support regarding the data folder bug:
    An option to compact the folders will be added, yes, we are working on
    it.
    I do not have a release date.

--
    WebIS Support
    Clearly, the fix is not included in the 2.1 release. The good news is that have acknowledged the bug, and are working it.
    Mick

OK, I have the latest version from a few days ago. I watched the following files under the directory below and can tell you what I saw, have some questions from people who have been active for a while with webis, I think I see what the developer is doing--

progam files - web -web is - mail - data

do a mail download, watch a group of the files grow (use Explorer)

Delete emails, you may not see a change.

This is because I wonder if the developer is creating temporary files and when you delete the mail, he may just delete content but leave white space in the files.

But then, use a program like handswitcher to kill Webis not just suspend it.

Go back and look at the directory. On my system all the files were there but they were zero in length.

So if you have been using WebIs for a while and have downloaded lots of attachments, I'm wondering if some of the files still contain white space and thus consume size, or do you have some zero'd out ones now.

I'm wondering what impact simply killing and restarting webis has on the size of your data directory.

What about speed? I have asked before but didn't see an answer...... I just don't wanna put it back on my device as it caused me to reset it almost every time I went to delete email. It took soooooo long. Am I the only one? Getting concerned! haha
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

I've been emailing Alex about the file size issue and he is trying to get a remedy put together. I haven't yet tried deleting the files as outlined above, but that may well be a reasonable approach as far as a work-around. I also have used the program for about wo months now with no impact on the Poutlook files, so I don't know what could be going on with that.

Speed: well that is an issue when in a 1X area. It is a bit slow downloading files. I suspect that you could get around most of that issue by specifying that the program only download headers and a small bit (say 4K) of the file body, but then you have to mark the mesages you want for download and repeat the access process.

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

Thanks Bob.
    I have the 2.1 version and was using that in the Beta form. The downloading is slow yes......... but the openning and deleting was HORRIBLE. At least on my 6601 with a TON of free memory. I don't have much installed on my device for just this reason!
    That is what bothered me the most really. What about speed in that area? I would have to soft reset when trying to delete because it would take like 5 minutes............
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600