+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My good experience with latest xv6600 w/camera business and configuration tips

I last edited this post on 3/27/2005

I would like to caveat this post with the reality that I may learn something else after this post that may change the configuration/viewpoint/etc and I still have to partner my hbh-660. If I do not post on the hbh-660 assume it went well, so far everything has been smooth with everything else. In light of my caveat, here it goes in an attempt to be helpful and provide one configuration for a business focused application...

The Audiovox vx6600 with camera version that Verizon is now selling (and not one picked-up necessarily from some other sources, if you get it off of ebay I can't say what rev you will be at, see notes later) appears to me to have improvements over the early versions released and, after a day of heavy testing and loading, appears to be a downright good phone and obviously a very powerful PDA. The phone features are beyond being a compromise, the volume is good and my ringer can be heard across the floor 3 offices away. Speakerphone volume in my opinion is also excellent.

The complaints (ringer volume, headset volume, volume heard by person on other end of the phone) appear to be resolved except I will of course continue to test. I also don't hear that annoying high-pitched buzz on the phone I heard on an early version in the verizon store. All of these complaints I did in fact note on an early version of the phone I tested at the Verizon store. However, the phone I have does not have any of these issues as far as I can see, people talking to me on the phone said I sound quite good and I hear them quite sell.

It may in fact be both a good phone and good PDA with the awesome wireless data speeds of EVDO, the illusive goal of the fully converged. I think these units, as some have pointed-out, are more processor speed-limited than bandwidth limited when it comes to rapid browsing but the xv6600 can be quite an exciting performer nonetheless with the right software (browser, etc) which I suggest with my particular preferences later in this post.

The camera in the unit is nothing to brag about if you are into digital photography but if you just want something easy to click fast convenient simple pictures it's nice. I'm still experimenting with night pictures, I seem to be getting more graininess and white spec's than I'd expect but need to test further. I didn't buy the unit for its camera, the camera is a bonus I'll probably use it though.

Here is the ROM readout for the xv6600 with camera shipped as of this moment by verizion-- I do not see a with camera (as opposed to woc without camera) ROM upgrade option on the Audiovox site and have not seen a need for a ROM upgrade yet. Again I have yet to partner the HBH-660 over bluetooth, that is the morning so we'll see. If I don't post on it assume it worked fine.

ROM version: 1.35.00 WWE
    ROM date 12/10/04
    Radio version HA01_140
    Protocol version AA3.3.301
    PRL version 50266
    ExtROM version 1.35.113 WWE
    Hardware version 0041

As we know the trick with all of these is phones is to choose the right software and this forum was my guide for that as I searched the work everyone else did here to choose the right applications and then install and test them. Key tips and applications for business users from my perspective are as follows, again thanks to all the people on this forum who provided the information that helped me build this configuration. I provide links below to stuff you might need (extra chargers etc) but note to support this forum you might also visit the pdaphonehome.com store to see if you they have what you want, see http://www.pdaphone.com/shop/index.p...ategory/id/50/ for the pdaphonehome store:

Get the latest version of Activesync from Microsoft
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Netfront as a browser not IE, go to NetFront settings and configure as default browser. You should download and install the Pocket PC 2003 edition. My copy installs and runs perfectly on some very complex websites including this one where I can post no problem. Great product and superior to IE in features, performance, and raw capability to process complex web pages. It is a world of difference in using the data features with this browser.
    http://nfppc.access.co.jp/english/

WisMail for mail http://www.webis.net
    Note some folks have reported a growing file storage problem with WebIS, I have the latest version 2.1 and will continue to test. I did not use built-in microsoft email because of years of being disappointed with that in previous windows ce incarnations; however, it might otherwise meet your needs. I will watch the WebIS files in My Device/Program Files/Mail/Data and delete any files that grow uncontrollably despite clearing-out my box. Again, this could be fixed in latest release will update. UPDATE: tRY USING BUILTIN POCKET OUTLOOK FIRST BEFORE webis due to storage bug, it may meet your needs.

PhoneAlarm for many useful phone utilities. Note PhoneAlarm is in beta and as a result it still has many bugs but shows quite a bit of promise. Also the developer is very responsive and will likely get these bugs fixed soon, check this site for latest information on user experiences. Note to everyone, I would hold-off on PhoneAlarm until the bugs are worked-out which could be anyday. Honestly I don't find the default indicators that bad at all, the bubble doesn't bother me. Once/if PhoneAlarm is stable, then I'd install it.
    http://www.pocketmax.net/phoneAlarm.htm

Microsoft Voice command because it is a scary incredibly product-- exceptional voice recognition with no training.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...d/default.mspx

Calcnow freeware rpn calculator
    http://www.freewareppc.com/calculator/calcnow.shtml

Free Adobe Acrobat PDF reader
    UPDATE: 03/25/05-- Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Voice Command do not work together. If you install Microsoft Voice Command, Adobe Acrobat 2.0 will stop working. In my opinion Voice Command is such a powerful and useful application, it is first priority for me and I will keep it on the system and thus must remove Adobe Acrobat. See later in this thread where Adobe alternatives are mentioned.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readerforppc.html

Piel leather casehttp://www.executivepda.com/s.nl/sc....t.A/id.1445/.f

Get good quality fused power-protected combo pack of chargers for the car and home that have LED indicators etc (outside of office) such as from http://www.thepocketsolution.com, he also sells on ebay.

I have an HBH-660 coming soon for a bluetooth wireless headphone, based on the poll here it should work pretty well. These sell on ebay pretty reasonably, I bought one from dans_cellular_accessories and he included a free car charger at an excellent price.

Handyswitcher to manage applications and memory. DinarSoft, the developer of this software, has a number of other applications I am also exploring and will test. They have an excellent reputation and are very responsive. HandySwitcher is a great highly stable and simple application that works very well.
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...roductId=85760

SocketIO SDIO WiFi card gives you wifi on the unit (insert card requires soft reset for recognition). Go to their website and get latest Socket WLAN Tools, helpful utility. ecost.com has them at a discount, company web page is http://www.socketcom.com/product/WL6200-480.asp

2200 longer life lithium ion battery
    http://etxquc.simplyonline.com/searc...CPDA&stype=cat

If you intend to locally backup your unit to the SD card (say you are somewhere and the phone resets badly for some reason and you want to recovery) then you can buy a standard SD card. Many people just backup to the desktop but the SD card gives you more security. Also lets you store lots of pictures/etc on the card. You can also store music on them if you like. Again, any standard SD card, such as a 512 MB SD card works fine. If you intend to use the wifi card then of course don't load applications on the SD card, just use it for backup and data.

Settings:

Configure keyboard lock so that only power button turns the unit on after being turned off: Settings/System/Button Lock- Lock all buttons except Power button. When you are not using the PDA, just hit the power button on the right top corner of the phone to turn it on/off (it's not a long press, long presses are for turning on/off backlight-- just give it one tap with your finger for on/off)

Settings/personal/Buttons-- personalize your buttons, NetFront for browser, wismail for email, others you want.

Settings/Connections/Beam-- disable receive incoming beam, turning off infrared

Ring volume, volumes, speakerphone. Try oldringer on the phone right now it may be loud enough for you. Of course you need to crank up the volume on the phone to whatever you want, see the volume key on the left side of the unit when it is facing you. Push that up to increase volumes in general (when not on call, ringer and PDA, when on call your speaker.) Also to turn on the speaker phone while on a call, press and HOLD down the green lighted phone key. For information on changing ringers, including an even louder version of old phone which you may or may not need, then checkout the following thread. Note when you install voice command, it also uses a computer voice to announce your incoming calls and it mixes in there with the ringer. I like it but you can also disable that feature of voice command if you like.
    Share LOUD Ring Tones here!

Notes on battery usage. The default battery in the unit really isn't bad for many people's uses (that's my guess) but the 2200 battery is awesome if you want to eliminate battery power from your consciousness for most of us pretty heavy uses, thiat is my guess based on my usage and experience. I don't even have to charge every evening if I don't want to. Yesterday with light voice and heavy data usage, it wasn't charged on the 2200 battery since the AM and now next day, I have two bars which, for a unit that has so many power hungry functions, is awesome. Here are some tips for battery conservation:

1) Always disconnect the data connection when you are done. Do that by hitting the red phone button (red light behind it) You will note the little indicator at the top middle of the screen goes from this two way icon back to the antannae signal strength icon.

2) The power button is on the upper right corner of the unit. Turn off the PDA (it doesn't turn off the phone) and also effectively lock the buttons (see my previous config tip in the original post) when you don't need it. This is essential anyway to avoid buttons getting hit etc. I do this as second nature, it's no problem. You just touch it and the screen goes blank. If you HOLD the power button then that turns off the backlight. Most of the time I don't do that, I want it on when I'm using the unit and off when not using the PDA.

3) While I found I can keep bluetooth on for long periods, it's good to turn it off when you aren't using it. Turn it off by click on the lower right corner of the screen, a pop-up shows you the option to turn bluetooth on or off.

Relative to the 2200 battery, here are my tips and I have had zero problems thus far with it, none. It fits the phone perfectly, works well, etc. If I have problems I will report it but I predict I won't.

I see some folks report issues with their 2200 batteries but I have had none. In some cases it's pretty clear that the clear manufacturers instructions provided in the box weren't followed. I also noticed some folks are charging, right away, in the cradle . I didn't do this because I wanted to eliminate all variables and get a good charge-- some of you may not plug an AC adapter into the cradle but instead rely on USB power, that would be bad. Also cradles share power. You want to give it a GOOD charge when you first get it, 12 hours uninterrupted as the manufacturer asks for. Below is the procedure again I followed which has resulted in an excellent performing battery:

Here's what I did when I received it.

(1) put the connector adapter thing on the end of the power cable that goes into the cradel and plug it DIRECLY in so the xv6600 will have power when you remove the battery. That is, do not charge with the cradle. Charge by connecting power directly to the phone using the provided connector adaptor plugged into your AC adaptor. I happen to have an extra OEM power adapter that I use but it doesn't matter (for that product see my Good Experiences... post, search under my ID)

(2) remove the existing battery. This will still cause the unit to soft reset which is somewhat of a mystery to me but anyway it does.

(3) Keeping the power connected, insert the new battery.

At that point everything seemed normal to me. The battery started charging. I have, just now, checked the battery and noted it is fully charged (solid green light) after 9 hours but I'm sure it was fully charged much sooner but I didn't look.

I have tested the battery for several days of varying hard and light usage and it is performing very well per my other posts.
    Last edited by ericgr; 03-30-2005 at 12:03 PM.

Update: HBH-660 Paired Very Easily

Turned-on HBH-660, used Bluetooth Manager, configured 0000 as the code that the headset uses, and it paired right away and worked right away.

Re: Update: HBH-660 Paired Very Easily

Originally posted by ericgr
    Turned-on HBH-660, used Bluetooth Manager, configured 0000 as the code that the headset uses, and it paired right away and worked right away.
    Yeah but what happens when you hit the power botton on the Pocket PC? Does it stay connected?
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Just tested that per your suggestion, works well

Good suggestion to test. I tested it and yes I stay connected. Works very well. The screen goes off, PDA is off, hit any buttons on the PDA other than power and it stays off but through all of that the bluetooth and call stays connected. Just turned power back on, call also stays up. So it works exactly the way you would want it to.

that I forgot to mention before. Before using bluetooth manager I went to Settings then Connections and chose bluetooth.

There I created a profile called hbh-660

under accessibility I checked paired devices only rather than all devices for security.

I still allow other devices to discover me.

Under services I selected Handsfree

I chose to enable the service and left authentication passkey and encryption required checked.

Clicked on Advanced and Telephone calls is checked.

I paired with the usual process out of the box (it found it right away, I didn't reset the hbh-660 because it was new).

That creates a shortcut under bluetooth manager

Question Question for ericgr

ericgr: Are you still pleased with the "enhanced" performance you are finding on the VX6600 with camera??? I got one from VZW today (with camera) and should be getting another one tomorrow to work on for my wife and I.

Still feel like all is working as described???

Thanks...

Yes, I continue to be very happy with it. In my original post I did update it to note issues with phonelarm and webis but those are products you purchase, you don't need them. Personally the little bubble and the status on the phone that annoys some folks (why they use phone alarm) doesn't bother me but if phonelarm gets stable I'd use it. WebIS really also is not required, pocket outlook works for me and isn't bad at all. I just like that interface.

Other than those caveats, everything is great. I really like the HBH-660 bluetooth. I REALLY like the NetFront browser on the xv6600, runs great. The piel case is awesome, my other one should arrive soon but Piel makes the phone look classy when worn versus like a big geek pack (well we are geeks, we might as well be marked). I bought the Piel tan case and think it looks good. The sd card slots are helpful (I hold the SDIO card there in case I ever want to use it while on travel and out of range of EVDO.) I'm really excited about this phone, it takes everything to another level for power users. This site is awesome and not only did the work of folks here push Verizion/HTC to fix things, but they also point-out all of the lessons learned. For example, without this site I would not have known about the HBH-660, I bought that from dans-cellular on ebay, he threw-in a free car charger for it also. Very happy so far.

Thanks...

Thanks for the feedback ericgr. I read some very positive reviews and then a lot of concerns. Quick question- do I need to do any ROM upgrades before touching the virgin unit? If so, what? That is not my area of expertise. Remember, these are the brand new VZW VX6600 WITH camera.

I tried PktOut, but I use a POP3 at work and then VZW's SMTP for outgoing e-mail. Obviously the authentication is an issue, so this weekend I will try WebIS and hope for the best.

I just got a Jabra BT800 and although this site has reported some problems, a reviewer on TreoCentral raved about the performance with his VX6600. I am also hopeful with that as I love the headset- granted that is w/o a trial run on it.

Otherwise I am going to go very slow. First port over data and then add one app at a time and do some checking. I only plan to add:

Agenda Fusion
    Pocket Plus
    WebIS
    Phone Alarm
    Voice Command

I need a boatload of other apps for expense tracking, ID's, etc- things I depend on from my Treo, but I am wary of going nuts at the beginning. Hopefully it will be a smooth transition, but considering I have been on the Palm OS for a solid ten years, I am wary. I also have to set-up two units- one for me and one for the wife.

Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

to prove a point I read your post by getting a notification from this website in email. received it in pocket outlook clicked on the link then read and am NOW responding to your post from my xv6600* rthe browser i use is netfront.

just before i did this i was using the excellent speakerphone and before that bluetooth headset

all of this from my xv6600 with camera and no rom upgrade because these are shipped upgraded

there are some misconceptions on pocket outlook, it does support auth and seperate smtp and pop, there is some limitation maybe on like domains but i have not hit that in my config. try it first before webis due to webis growing file bug, i had updated my poszt on that in the big writep i did.

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience and recommendations. I am axiously awaiting the arrival of my xv6600 with camera from Verizon and I've printing this post to aid with initial set up. Your positive experience is making me even more excited. THANKS!
    Audiovox xv6600 w/camera
    Verizon

Striving for Understanding novuslotus's Avatar
    I just wanted to chime in and say thanks to ericgr for the write-up too. I was thinking that somebody doing something like this would be great, as I'm picking up an XV in a couple of weeks and wasn't sure where to begin (as this is my first Pocket PC) with additional software, hardware etc.

Thanks for the info and let us know if anything else comes up!

ericgr:
    Would you mind jotting down your PktOut settings for POP3 incoming and SMTP VZW outgoing? I could not get it working on one account and got confused about setting it up as two accounts. Also, can you identify the toggle or setting that will KEEP the e-mail, even if deleted from handheld, ON the server???
    If you have the time, that would be REALLY helpful.

Many thanks from one techno nerd to another...

XV6600 Software Conflict

Eric,

First of all thanks for your detailed account of your XV6600 experience. I just picked one up and your information has helped me in my configuration. I am posting here because I am curious to see if you have experienced a problem with Acrobat Reader.

I believe it is documented that having reader 2.0 running along with Microsoft Voice Command causes the XV to do a soft reset. I have tried installing Reader on both the main memory and the storage card and have the same reset issue.

Assuming that you have both programs installed have you had a similar experience? If so have you found a way to work around it?

I know that there are other pdf viewers out there (i.e. clearvue). I have tried it and it does not have the functionality of Adobe's Reader.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Steve

Audiovox XV6600

Skellerman, great find! I had not tested the two together-- had not tried to read an Acrobat PDF document since installing Microsoft Voice Command.

You are totally right, I have no workaround and Adobe stops working once Voice Command is installed. Obviously Microsoft is breaking something, b*ms.

Anyway, my take on it is that Microsoft Voice Command is an essential-- it is a wickedly useful and well done program and I get pure joy from talking to the xv6600 and hearing that computerized voice confirm and get everything right, plus announcing calls etc. It's just too cool to not have installed. Voice Command does all of this with ** no upfront voice training ** !!!! It's pretty incredible to use.

I have therefore fully uninstalled Adobe Acrobat.

So per your suggestion I will be looking at alternatives. Thanks
    Last edited by ericgr; 03-25-2005 at 01:09 PM.

Jeff,

First clearly I missed the fact that Pocket outlook deletes that email when deleted on the handheld, I missed that. I thought I had tested it and apparently I did not (or perhaps I did with WebIS mail and not with pocket outlook). But I just deleted a message, did a send/receive again (that's key, that must be when the deletion is happening) and yes it's gone.

And no I cannot see a parameter in there for pocket outlook to keep things on the server, an amazingly glaring missing feature.

WebIS doesn't have this problem. As I noted in general, I really prefer the interface, flexibility, and speed of WebIS and I have registered it. The issue is that if you use it, you need to clear-out its data files per previous posts because apparently they grow continuously. If you can live with those issues and manage them (I don't know how with large attachments, only I suppose to limit the size of downloaded attachments which as I recall WebIS supports I think) then WebIS is pretty nice. I have yet tried to clearout the directory other than WebIS settings and then see if it recovers. According to some folks it does.

For me right now I use pocket outlook and won't delete and will continue to experiment with WebIS mail.

Here is the response on the verizon server issue which needs to be addressed I suppose if you are using pocket outlook and using verizion's smtp server. WIS mail doesn't have this issue.
    I am not using verizon's smtp outgoing server. Two folks that allow access to their outgoing email serves are Yahoo (paid service, you auth to their server, their service is cheap) or earthlink. Yes gmail I think has it but gmail isn't available to everyone yet as I recall. So the moral of the story is to have an account with somebody (such as a paid yahoo account, they are very cheap) that will let you go to their servers and use them from anywhere. You could forward emails through that account. It is really a pain to not have a an ISP/email account that lets you send from anywhere-- this does cause problems for people when they travel and send from a hotel for example. In the end, we all need someone who will open up smtp port 25 if we are willing to authenticate. For example, for yahoo they support smtp auth so your setup would be

pop.mail.yahoo.com
    smtp.mail.yahoo.com

On email setup page 4/4 click on options

on page 2/3 ccheck "Outgoing e-mail server requires authentication"

On deletion, first note I do not synch mail with the desktop, I get way too much mail to do that.

ericgr:
    Would you mind jotting down your PktOut settings for POP3 incoming and SMTP VZW outgoing? I could not get it working on one account and got confused about setting it up as two accounts. Also, can you identify the toggle or setting that will KEEP the e-mail, even if deleted from handheld, ON the server???
    If you have the time, that would be REALLY helpful.

Many thanks from one techno nerd to another...

I think I may go for WebIS as it seems more polished the Pkt Out and I strongly suspect they will issue a patch or update for the memory issue. I reall those threads saying they were aware of it.

Thanks much- I will be heading out of office shortly to go home and start the process. You and others on this board have been tremendously helpful.

Note though that if you use the Clear command (as in Clear MyMail where MyMail is the name of your account), pocket outlook does ** not ** delete the messages on the server. So you only get burned here if you individually delete emails under pocket outlook otherwise you can just use it to view things as most of us do.

Originally posted by ericgr
    I REALLY like the NetFront browser on the xv6600, runs great. .
    ericgr,

Thanks for the great post. I downloaded the demo for NetFront to try it out and can't get it to work on my XV6600. I installed it, did a soft reset and when I try to run it, I get the hourglass (PPC version) and that's all. I tried to install it a couple of times with the same results.

Can you give me some suggestions?

Thanks

Wow. What a totally excellent useful review/post!

I'm looking to buy the vx6600 w/camera within a few weeks.

I was a bit hesitant due to some bad comments on the vx6600 without camera low ringer issue.

However, you gave me a total solution and guide on how to get the most from this pda phone.

I feel pretty confident about my choice now. Thanks a million!
    Regards,

Dean

Note I edited the original post of this thread (the top one) to include information below and some other things that I think may be important. So see below and also the original post.

JazzFusion, I'd be willing to be you may have downloaded the wrong version (?), you should download and install the Pocket PC 2003 edition. My copy installs and runs perfectly.

Note to everyone, I would hold-off on PhoneAlarm until the bugs are worked-out. Honestly I don't find the default indicators that bad at all, the bubble doesn't bother me. Once/if PhoneAlarm is stable, then I'd maybe install it.

Dean, you will really enjoy it, I find the xv6600 to be outstanding, a real leap forward and an accomplishment by the team that worked on it in combination with Verizon's excellent data and voice service. It is nirvana for us geeks and for real wireless business folks.

Notes on battery usage. The default battery in the unit really isn't bad for many people's uses (that's my guess) but the 2200 battery is awesome if you want to eliminate battery power from your consciousness for most of us pretty heavy uses, thiat is my guess based on my usage and experience. I don't even have to charge every evening if I don't want to. Yesterday with light voice and heavy data usage, it wasn't charged on the 2200 battery since the AM and now next day, I have two bars which, for a unit that has so many power hungry functions, is awesome. Here are some tips for battery conservation:

1) Always disconnect the data connection when you are done. Do that by hitting the red phone button (red light behind it) You will note the little indicator at the top middle of the screen goes from this two way icon back to the antannae signal strength icon.

2) The power button is on the upper right corner of the unit. Turn off the PDA (it doesn't turn off the phone) and also effectively lock the buttons (see my previous config tip in the original post) when you don't need it. This is essential anyway to avoid buttons getting hit etc. I do this as second nature, it's no problem. You just touch it and the screen goes blank. If you HOLD the power button then that turns off the backlight. Most of the time I don't do that, I want it on when I'm using the unit and off when not using the PDA.

3) While I found I can keep bluetooth on for long periods, it's good to turn it off when you aren't using it. Turn it off by click on the lower right corner of the screen, a pop-up shows you the option to turn bluetooth on or off.
    Last edited by ericgr; 03-27-2005 at 06:52 AM.