+ Reply to Thread

Critical E-Mail Questions....

... that I could NOT find complete answers to after multiple searches.

If you can offer any help, I would be greatful as I am banging my head against a wall.

I understand the issue with the e-mail app not being able to authenticate both POP3 and SMTP during the send and recieve. Once I set-up the "My In-Box" account, POut downloaded only the e-mail in my In-Box. Great- once I deleted them as part of the test, it then DELETED them off the SERVER- which really F**KED me!!! Anyway, that brings up the first question- What settings or options do I use to be able to delete messages from the handheld, but NOT the server??? (On the Palm OS side with Snapper, this is simple.)

Next question, I am unable to setup the outgoing SMTP "My Outbox" account. Can someone please write down the steps for that second account?

Finally, and this is NOT really CRITICAL to the e-mail issue, but HOW DO YOU TURN OFF THE DATA CONNECTION AFTER RETRIEVING OR SENDING E-MAIL??? Again, going back to the simple Palm OS, Snapper would automatically disable the netwrok connection after doing the send and receive. If you were browsing web pages on the Treo, there is an application called Treo Connection Manager that would kill the connection after a timeout that you specified. The only way I have been able to kill the connection is by going into flight mode, which obviously also kills the phone mode. That is silly. Is there an application or something I can use?

Again, any help here would be tremendously appreciated. Many thanks...

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    #1: Accounts POP3, Options, should have an option for keep mail on server. I don't know - I only use IMAP.

#2: Unfortunately that's been proven not to work, since the "my outbox" account tries to login first to GET mail... and if it's got no valid POP or SMTP login it won't work.

#3: HOld down the red button (the End button) for at least 5 secs.

E

Thanks Ehud. Extremely helpful. Would WebIS help with the e-mail set-up for in and out. I am on a POP3 account and using VZW's SMTP for outbound. The red phone button did the trick on the network connection- cool tip. But after receiving e-mail, there is ano automated way for the connection to terminate itself? I am also assuming that while the connection is active, I cannot get calls?

Yes, WebIS should do the trick. It's a free demo, so have fun.

If you want automatic termination, that's a side-effect of the gbsoft-tweak program. YOu could install it, and then it will disconnect data when not in use.

E

Do you have a link for that application? Sorry to ask...

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...der=descending

The third one down, about installing a disconnect button...

E

Thanks Ehud- you have been real helpful.