+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Out Of Control PPC User merkman's Avatar

Help! Socket SDIO Wireless LAN card seems dead.

Ordered one of these from Buy.com on the 17th, and it showed up today while I was at work. Since I went out to dinner, etc... I didn't start playing with it until an hour ago. Big mistake.

I started with the basics. I have a router and an AP, so I added the mac address of the SDIO card to both "allowed device" lists. Then I installed the software for Windows Mobile 2003 from the CD. I then inserted the Socket SDIO wireless card into the Sprint PPC-6601, but the "about" screen said my card wasn't found. I then upgraded to the latest drivers on Socket's web site, but I still can't see the card in my pocket pc. Am I doing something wrong?

SO tired, I'm gonna crash. But any help is appreciated!!!
    Cingular 8525 with Black 3.0.1 ROM (WM6)
    Paired: Sony MEX-BT2500 (car stereo w/ audio streaming, it's AWESOME!), i.Trek GPS w/ i.Guidence software, a few PC's

Post Did you do a soft reset?

Many people, including me, need to soft reset after inserting the WiFi card to get it to work.

It's kind of a PITA but it works.

People are looking into a fix - Do a search to find out more.

Good Luck...Brad
    Sprint PPC-6700

From what I have read and experienced, you have to soft reset after installing the software for sure, and I think we have narrowed it down to if you open a vision connection after soft resetting, it will not see the card until you soft reset. Nobody knows why, and my G1000 did the same thing so it could be a socket wifi driver problem...
    Tom

Thanks for the help guys. When at work earlier today, I insert the card, soft reset my PPC, and immediately after reboot I could see wireless network devices around me. Eventually, I hope to find a copy of MovianVPN, and try using Terminal Services at work.

In the meantime, I bought the unit home and tried to connect to my home network. But I'm having no success. Do you HAVE to broadcast your SSID to use a SDIO network card with your wireless network? Does someone have a "walkthrough" to setting up the card with a home network? I'm just REALLY confused as to how I set things up, and I'm not sure why I can't uncheck needing a security certificate when using WPA security. I don't think I use that with my other PC's, I just enter my security key and go.

Sorry to be such a newb, but as usual... PdaPhoneHome rocks and I appreciate all the help!
    Paired: Sony MEX-BT2500 (car stereo w/ audio streaming, it's AWESOME!), i.Trek GPS w/ i.Guidence software, a few PC's

You don't have to broadcast your SSID for the card to work. I don't. It sounds like your setup is fine. I assume that you have a laptop that connects with no problems? That is, the PPC isn't the first card you are trying to hook to the network.

By the way try turning on your SSID. That might help you find your network easier. Turning it off doesn't really help security anyway.
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Merkman, I have the Socket card and have noticed when connecting to a new encrypted network I sometimes have to enter the key several times for it to "take". Also, I've had better success entering the key in hex rather than ASCII... but I've found that to be the case with WinXP too.

It DOES work, subject to the soft-reset limitations that everyone's described above. One other tip - remove the WiFi card when not in use. The card will occasionally completely drain your battery even when the PPC is turned off, causing all kinds of problems.

Good luck...
    - Tim

Merkman, Sorry I'm waiting for one of the low profile cards to do wifi and have no experience with wifi on the ppc yet. Good luck. You'll get there.

Okay, maybe I can provide enough info to get some more help on this.

I believe I've "found" my Buffalo wireless access point with the Socket "Configure Wireless Network" tools. I've done a "Show Networks" from the WLAN tools, and the Mac address is correct.

So then I went to "Configure" and selected the network it found. The SSID is disabled in my Access Point, and the wireless software on my Pocket PC doesn't seem to give me anywhere to add it for authentication. So I guess I don't need it?

I go to the "Network Key" tab, choose my authentication, data encryption, enter my network key, and that looks correct.

But then I go to the 802.1x tab, and "Use IEEE 802.1x network access control" is greyed out and checked. An EAP type of "PEAP" is selected, and the drop down box allows me to select "Smart Card or Certificate". But I don't use a RADIUS server on my network, or anothe form of EAP I'm aware of. Why can't I disable EAP? I think this MIGHT be my problem.

In the meantime, I look at the "graphic" under LAN tools, and my Pocket PC is in the upper left, the "Networks Available" is in the bottom right, and a little magnifying glass circles and circles to the top left of the little antenna on the screen.

Does that provide enough info for some help getting my 6601 to work with my wireless network??? Still haven't managed to find a copy of MovianVPN to connect to our network at work, so at this point I haven't been able to use my adapter ANYWHERE.

Merkman, one suggestion I'd make is to temporarily enable broadcast of the SSID from your access point. That way you could eliminate that as potential problem until you got everything working. In fact, I've found when troubleshooting an 802.11 problem it's best to start with the access point with its most available settings. If you're concerned about opening the network, disconnect the access point from everything else or use a spare one to test. Once you have it working without any security, re-enable your security one step at a time.

I use WEP encryption rather than WPA, so I can't help you there. I do know I never have to monkey around with any of the settings on the 802.1x tab.

Good luck,
    Tim

I would go to debug mode. Meaning first thing to try is turning off all the encryption, keys, wep, wpa, whatever, turn on ssid broadcast. Try connecting it with an open system. If that doesn't work you have bigger problems.

I'm not saying keep your network open, its just you are having problems connecting, open systems are the easiest to connect to. Once you can do that, start adding your "security measures" one by one till it breaks.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I came to the same decision shortly after my post.

First thing I did was enable my SSID and switch to WEP mode. But after applying the changes, while the AP showed the changes had been made in it's Management profile... the PPC *STILL* saw the old settings. So I pulled the SDIO card, reset the AP, inserted the SDIO card, the PPC saw the correct AP settings, and was able to connect!

I then tried pulling the SDIO card, enabling the WPA settings, reseting the AP again, inserting the SDIO card, and WPA connected!

Finally, I went through the same procedure disabling the SSID, and the Pocket PC connected a THIRD time!

So I guess just resetting my AP originally (as I'd switched from 802.11g only to "mixed" mode, so the SDIO card would work), maybe everything would have worked from the word go. Live and learn...

I assume you all have to go into "connections" every time you insert your SDIO card, and change the Internet connection settings from "Sprint" (in my case) to "Work" or whatever setting you call your "wireless" network? Is there any shortcut you set to make this change a little easier?

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Merkman, I leave my connections settings at "Sprint" (Internet) and "Sprint" (private network). If the IP stack sees the WiFi card or a path through Activesync, it uses that before falling back to open a 1X connection. I haven't played with it too much, but these settings seem to work the best and be the easiest if you don't have to set different VPN or proxy settings to access other networks.

I don't think the text in the dialog boxes or help for any of these settings are very illuminating, and in some cases can be downright misleading - you have to experiment.

Glad you got it working...
    Tim

This wireless network stuff is nearly as buggy for me as bluetooth networking has been for everyone.

I had things working with my wireless networking using WPA security, mac filtering, and not broadcasting my SSID. Note the HAD...

Tonight, it took broadcasting the SSID and switching to WEP security to get things working again. And no matter what I did, I couldn't get the PDA working with WPA, etc.

Meanwhile, my Sony PSP is pretty sweet, but it only supports WEP, and doesn't like not broadcasting my SSID. I couldn't get a connection without it. Grrr.

Why can't I set devices all up the same, so I feel more secure and things work correctly???

Merkman, you're probably going to have to broadcast your SSID... if you continue to have trouble that's almost certainly at least one of the causes. I went through much the same thing with a PC on my network - it would work one day, and not the next. What turned out to be the cause was another wireless network on the very fringe of mine, and that one WAS broadcasting an SSID and was completely unsecured. The way the Microsoft zero-config logic is set up, if it gets even a blip from a broadcasting access point, it completely messes up access to your preferred non-broadcasting access point. See MSKB 811427, which in part says:

"Disabling SSID broadcasts on an access point is not considered a valid method for securing a wireless network. Microsoft does not reccomend (sic) this practice for any wireless network."

Yes, broadcasting your SSID is a potential security opening, but as long as you have other security in place at the network and device level, you should be fine. There's MUCH lower hanging fruit out there for a hacker... I live in a very rural area, and I'm simply amazed at the number of WiFi access points I can find with a short drive. In excess of 95% of those access points are broadcasting in the clear, easily accessible. If I were a hacker, I'd pass your encrypted network up for something easier to get into, and believe me, most are.

See if turning on your SSID broadcast, then reconfiguring all other security step by step helps.

Tim

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Broadcasting your SSID is not a potential security warning.

ALL 802.11(x) networks can be connected to. What provides security is either
    a. MAC level filtering (weak - most WiFi cards allow you to set MAC address, and you could sniff for valid addresses.)
    b. Encryption (strong - WEP is your friend)

SSID broadcasts or not aren't part of authentication OR encryption OR security. It was designed so if you have 20 stations in an office, you don't them all chattering over each other broadcasting the same SSID.. All you need is one.

The PPC client pretty much *requires* an active SSID announcement.

Ehud

Guys, thanks again for the help.

I guess more than the SSID, I've read that WEP security ISN'T inherently secure. It's supposed to be fairly easy to crack, and while my home network doesn't have my banking information on it... I've always wanted to be secure as possible. As a result, I didn't do "wireless" networking until WPA was already a reality.

The only reason I'd have to go back to WEP is the Sony PSP, and that just seems so unreasonable. And I just had an idea. What if I setup the PSP to have a static IP address, and then I set up my network to make it a DMZ device? Nahhh... it's not a "network" issue as much as it is a "wireless security" issue. I want more and the PSP wants less.

I wish I could setup a "seperate" connection so my computers had WPA protection, while the ONLY thing the PSP could access is the Internet with WEP security. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to set that up. I do have a spare Access Point here if I can come up with a plan. Anyone have any ideas???

Once again, thanks for the help so far.

Wep is secure. In the original implementation though, they used some RC4 seeds that could be reverse-engineered.

Those have all been removed in firmware since roughly 2003... so now WEP is considered secure.

Ehud

Yes, I've heard WEP is supposed to be relatively easy to crack... I'm trying to balance security with accessibility - it's pretty unlikely anyone's going to break into my network through the access point and the risk of damage is minimal... and they've got a completely unsecured network in the same area they can go through first anyway

With the spare access point you get some flexibility, as long as you can filter the traffic from the PSP access point at your router to only allow it outbound access. Set up your main access point however you'd like - but you'll definitely have to broadcast the SSID or the PSP access point will step all over it. Set up the PSP access point with WEP encryption, and set your router up appropriately. If you REALLY want to be secure, firewall your main network downstream from your router, and connect the PSP access point on the internet side of the firewall. This'll take some hardware and setting up, but can be done. You have to ask yourself whether the extra security is worth the work, considering the risk of a breach.

Tim
    Last edited by tmartin31; 03-28-2005 at 09:48 AM.

Yes, in 2003 Wep was easy to crack.

With 2005 firmware and 128 bits... it's not.

Ehud

2005 firmware?????? where do we find it????