+ Reply to Thread
    Aggressively Converging bigbizkits's Avatar

Remote desktop access software on Palm OS?

I posted this in another thread as well, though I think the overall question is more appropriate under this subject:

I have a question for those more knowledgable with the Treo amd Palm OS than I (anyone who has used one). I am considering the Verizon PPC phone (XV6600). I need it to be a phone (obviously), but also I need to use remote software to remote in to my servers and my mobile laptop users from time to time (on PPC, I use Terminal Services and Gotomypc Pocket Version). With the PPC, I can pull up their desktop screens, and resolve issues (and do virtually anything I can do physically being there). Does the Treo (Palm OS) offer solutions for this type of application?

The only one I know of is this one:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/mobile_ts_ssystem.html

I have no experience with it at all (although it looks to have more features than the MS PPC Client). I had bookmarked it back when I was trying to decide between the PPC6600 and Treo 650. I ended up with the 6600 in part because it's a snap to first establish a VPN tunnel, and then I can establish a remote desktop connection to any of our servers/workstations. With Palm and its inability to multitask (not to mention lack of decent VPN software) it would be near impossible to accomplish what I can with the PocketPC.

Anyway, I do love the Treo form factor and one-handedness though. I hope that future PPC devices will be smaller (like the Sammy i730) and that Magneto will make strides in the ability to use these devices without always reaching for the stylus.

Hope that helps. You would likely have better luck asking Palm questions over at Treo Central . Those people are fanatical about the Treo and PalmOS.

Dan

Thanks for the info. I'll try over at Treo Central.

BTW: I tried to wait for the Samsung SCH-i730, but I have to get something within the next couple of weeks. Latest word over at the relase date forum of SCH-i730 (according to CTIA) is May or June.

VNC has a palmos client as well.
    Tom

I have not used VNC. If I am not mistaken - isn't it much like PCAnywhere (both the host and remote device have to have it installed and configured)?

That is the advantage of Terminal Services for servers. It's built in.

Gotomypc is great for users, because you can have them (on the fly) go to the website, log in, install client peice (without having to configure anything), and wait for connection.

I guess I was hoping for something as quick and easy on the Palm OS.

I am familiar with the PCC, but the Treo form factor is nice (and I can not wait for the Samsung i-730).

You might want to look into a citrix client for palm, if one exists it should work with terminal services as well...
    Tom

Thanks for the help.
    The more I read, the more it seems Network Admins that need quick, easy remote access to their Windows networks use PCC over Palm OS.

Too bad PPC's are like talking into a shoe. Guess I'll order a shoe tommorow.