+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Caller ID Animated GIF Hack...

Hey all...I don't know if anyone else figured this out yet or not (i searched for similar posts and found nothing) but I was able to hack the images that the 6600 displays when you are recieving a call. The little cell phone animation and pda animation can be replaced with any animated .gif file of your choice. I actually captured some anime off from my tuner card and compressed it into a .gif file. You can download mine here:

http://www.webvorteks.com/animation.zip

Replace your \My Documents\IA Caller ID Photos files with these.

There's a catch...once you find the gif file you want to use you must rename it to .DEF extension. The sneaky bastards were aparently trying to keep ppl from changing the stock animations so they made up some goofy ass file ext. Lemme know if you have any questions...
    Last edited by djrodimus; 03-24-2005 at 12:28 AM.

Sickwidit
    Nice, I'm going to change mine now.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Administrator
    yeah im glad someone has hacked this.. those gifs are cheesy... can you post step by step instructions on how to do this?

Re: Caller ID Animated GIF Hack...

Can you post what the original and your images look like so everyone can see them for reference?

Thanks,

Fred

Originally posted by djrodimus
    Hey all...I don't know if anyone else figured this out yet or not (i searched for similar posts and found nothing) but I was able to hack the images that the 6600 displays when you are recieving a call. The little cell phone animation and pda animation can be replaced with any animated .gif file of your choice. I actually captured some anime off from my tuner card and compressed it into a .gif file. You can download mine here:

http://www.webvorteks.com/animation.zip

Replace your \My Documents\IA Caller ID Photos files with these.

There's a catch...once you find the gif file you want to use you must rename it to .DEF extension. The sneaky bastards were aparently trying to keep ppl from changing the stock animations so they made up some goofy ass file ext. Lemme know if you have any questions...

Can you at least show your images? I can't open them until I install, and I would love to see them first........
    thanks for the hack btw!
    LAK
    Sprint 6800/Mogul
    6700, 6600

Yeah, I'd like to see it too. On VzW, we don't get anything but a little balloon.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Just download from his link, unzipp and rename them .gif to see what he made.
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Administrator
    very cool images. they are certainly much better than the stock ones...

i have the 6601 and i dont see the \My Documents\IA Caller ID Photos foder? any reason? we sould try and get some of us to make some others.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    IA Caller ID is a third-party product apparently bundled in with some phones.

If you unhide your extended rom, you will either see it there or not. The Verizon versions do not have it.

While I do know that the CAB file is available on the net, I do not know the licensing restrictions. It is entirely possible that SPRINT bought licenses to resale with one or both of their phones, and Verizon did not.

If someone wants to provide clear evidence that it's ok to redistribute and the CAB file, I'll put it up on www.myehud.com/ppc6600. Otherwise, it's $14.95 on the web.

Ehud

I can barely find evidence that IAStyle even existed. Their website is gone, and its hard to find their software for sale anywhere.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    This is fairly interesting:
    Says they merged with HTC...

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4502.html

i went to their homepage and nothing..the domain is dead.

i would assume since they merge, we all should have the license right?

i love the gif and want to put on my phone but i can't access their homepage,
    http://www.iastyle.com/iacallerid/index.asp

g35mt

I've had both a 6600 and a 6601 from Sprint, and neither had the IA Caller ID application installed when I received them. I found it when I did a hard reset on the 6600 and it suddenly appeared, installed out of ROM.

I found the version that installed out of ROM was really buggy, and often didn't show the caller id information - just that someone was calling. I've since upgraded it to version 1.2, supposedly the latest, and it works MUCH better. Also includes the ability to assign custom ringtones for each contact. See:

Multiple Ringtones?

Tim